Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What can you tell me about this Mauser MM410B

This rifle is described as a Mauser MM410B. What should I know about it? Is it a desirable rifle? The scope is described as a ZF41 scope. The date of manufacture of the rifle is said to be 1945 but I don't know if sporting rifles were produced by Mauser at this time.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:36 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Very desirable rifle, likely made in the late 30s, not 1945. Just the magazine, if marked "Mauser" is easily worth a few hundred dollars.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dang but those Mausers are elegant guns,,,

Dang but those Mausers are elegant guns,,,
They look like something one would carry on safari.

If yours rifle is anything like my es340B,,,
You'll be driving tacks at 50 yards.

Aarond

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 10:56 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The MM410B is the only true lightweight "sporter" .22 Mauser made using the "B" action. There is a 420 and others, some of which are exceedingly rare, but the 410 is also quite rare and the true sporter version, by my definition anyway. That B action is probably my favorite of all rimfire bolt actions in the world.

BTW, PG, you should probably take a look at the Jon Speed book on Mauser rimfires. It's an expensive book and hard to find, but I would be willing to lend you my copy, if interested.

Let me know

TBR

P.S. How does the buttplate look? It should be Bakelite with the Mauser logo. There should also be a Mauser cartouche in the righthand side of the buttstock. Looks like that stock may have been sanded, and the barrel missing its front sight hood. That grip cap version is exceedingly rare, I believe.

Here's mine:

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 01-17-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mauser is not mine but it is available. The asking price causes me to hesitate, to say the least.

The butt plate appears intact.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Moss Molly

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a number of this model, but all have a schnabel forend. None of mine have the later grip cap, though. Was thinking that change was around 1939?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:12 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
That's a later Mm410b, and I'd say it's very desirable. Not only because the later ones (with the PG cap and schnabel-less fore-ends) are extremely rare here, but also because it has a very valuable and rare 10-round magazine, and the scope, while really more for a K98 or DSM34, has a lot of inherent value as well (if original).

Mr. Speed would have undoubtedly put this one in his book if he had been aware of it.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM
Moss Molly

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Earlier MM410bs. Middle is the larger MS350b - only Mauser B I've owned with a grip cap.

IMG_0258.jpg
Old 01-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Eurydice

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Penage Guy;11742429]This rifle is described as a Mauser MM410B. What should I know about it? Is it a desirable rifle? The scope is described as a ZF41 scope. The date of manufacture of the rifle is said to be 1945 but I don't know if sporting rifles were produced by Mauser at this time.

Thank you.

Could it be that the date of manufacture is said to be 1945 because of the markings?
In other words, is the rifle BUG (459) other Eagle proofed?
Considering the stock, later (post 1939) presented a checked piece and PG grip. This one présents PG grip only. A dated 1937 Mauser's drawing shows a MM410 stock with PG grip and without checked piece (John Speed Small….)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:36 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
That's a later Mm410b, and I'd say it's very desirable. Not only because the later ones (with the PG cap and schnabel-less fore-ends) are extremely rare here, but also because it has a very valuable and rare 10-round magazine, and the scope, while really more for a K98 or DSM34, has a lot of inherent value as well (if original).

Mr. Speed would have undoubtedly put this one in his book if he had been aware of it.
Agreed. That one checks all the boxes. Is the cartouche gone, or is the picture quality just poor? It's even possible there never was a cartouche,
I suppose, but probably unlikely. Hoods can be found on rare occasion; same as the one used on the centerfire Mauser sporters. I stumbled onto one and gladly paid $150 just for the hood:

PG: I don't know what the guy is asking, but that is one rare rifle. Unfortunately, you probably won't find any pricing for comparable rifles on GB. I think I paid about $1000 for mine, with all its flaws: no original magazine (the MAS 45 mags usually work fine), no front sight hood, pretty dinged up and dented stock, and some ham-handed burnishing on the side of the receiver. I would say, if you can afford it, you should probably buy it, as you won't find another.

TBR

TBR
Old 01-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Moss Molly

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I could easily be mistaken, but was thinking the late stocks did not have the cartouche?
Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I believe this later model Mm 410B would not have had the Mauser cartouche on the stock. I don't think those that had the stock with the pistol grip cap ever had a cartouche.

I am more interested/concerned about the scope mount. Is it a Mauser option or a later owner made "improvement". There would be a big difference in value based on the answer to that question.

Nice rifle. I own two Mm 410B rifles, and I agree with TBR that they are among the finest .22 Sporters ever made.

BRP

Edit: Moss Molly types faster than me!!!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:57 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The missing cartouche was my biggest issue, but it sounds entirely plausible that there never was one. What is everyone’s take on the step in the barrel being that far forward? Or is that added to the barrel as a scope base? When you get into really rare rifles, often no one has a definitive answer on originality.
I would say that, while I would prefer to handle it in person first, I would still pay quite a bit for that rifle.

TBR
Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
]

PG: I don't know what the guy is asking, but that is one rare rifle. Unfortunately, you probably won't find any pricing for comparable rifles on GB. I think I paid about $1000 for mine, with all its flaws: no original magazine (the MAS 45 mags usually work fine), no front sight hood, pretty dinged up and dented stock, and some ham-handed burnishing on the side of the receiver. I would say, if you can afford it, you should probably buy it, as you won't find another.
I don't know if anyone knows a fair value of this apparently rare rifle, but the seller is asking $4000 Canadian which is just over $3000 USD.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:05 PM
williwm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
A couple of additional red flags to me are the length of the unreduced diameter of the barrel at the receiver ( considerably longer than the usual mm410b) and What I perceive as a. the lack of a rear sight.

Detailed photos of all proofs, serial number, and all stamping on the barrel and receiver might shed some light. Also photos of the scope markings and mount.

Seems that Mauser would manufacture what the customer wanted plus it seems the French continued producing some odd Mauser small bores after the factory was captured , but this rifle needs careful study.