Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
X- Series Pistols

The Pistols are well made and, they have some features that I changed over the years. I changed the barrels, the magazines, the frame material, and the Finish. I know that the ones that have been shot since 2018 are great performers. The production after that initial run has been a small but a steady flow. NOW- the former HS/TX work force at OFM is stepping up production !!! It takes 3 to 4 weeks after ordering to receive your pistol. The lightest trigger pull that we offer is 2#. The pistols are supplied with 2 magazines and a scope base. The traditional HS Vent Ribs will be available in April at a reduced price to X- Series Pistol Buyers. The OFM group has a new and in development web site www.highstandardfirearmsusa.com You can reach them thru that site.-
Alan Aronstein
Old 02-07-2020, 02:38 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thak you very much Sir.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:20 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few suggestions - the rail that Alan sent me (I have no idea what the part number is) seems to me to be as good as it gets. I told Alan I wanted to mount my Aimpoint Micro sight as low as possible, and all the way to the rear. This rail not only does that, but when I move the sight forwards for testing (will try at the range tomorrow) it seemed to me that the gun felt even better, and my "wobble" was reduced. In this morning's testing, one important thing for me was to put my thumb within the "thumb rest", but to NOT allow my thumb to touch anything, especially the grip to the right of my thumb. There was a microscopic change in my dot pattern as soon as my thumb touched - which explains why some of my groups yesterday were "higher" than they were "wide".

Also, the part Alan designed for racking the slide is worth its weight in gold. All my struggles from the past were gone.

Suggestion for Alan - as a final finishing step on the gun, especially in the slide area, have the machinists use a stone to smooth out the sharp angles. I've got three cuts from racking the slide - now that I know where to put my fingers, it's easy, but those edges are so sharp that one mistake and I'm bleeding.

I don't know enough to say "why", but the new gun is SO much better than any High Standard I have yet shot. The balance is perfect. Whatever Alan's technicians did to the trigger, I wish they could visit me and configure my other guns the same way. It's the best trigger I have ever felt, and it makes it so much easier to fire the gun without disturbing the sights.

The gun is not only everything I expected/hoped it would be, but a whole lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for your input Mike! So far, I like what I've read about the X-Series pistols. It appears they will easily keep the great HS reputation going well into the future. What "scope base" is supplied, is one of several questions I have, especially if it's not the one you got? Which magazines fit this model (the Custom X-Series), as I buy a total of 6 for all of my pistols? I'd also need to know what HS Model ("old" - name/model number) Grips fit the X_Series because I prefer the large thumb-rest style (Herrett's or ?) and would be buying some most likely. Is the 2 lb trigger extra, as I see 2.25 lbs is "standard".
I see now that iron sights are not shown or listed for the X-Series, so I guess it's a micro-red-dot only for me, but that's OK as 75% or more of my .22lr pistols are so equipped.
Dang it Bevis, I thought I was all done buying new toys (18 in 2019, 2 already so far in 2020), but it looks like at least one more will likely be headed my way...
Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From Alan:

"The New Victor Vent Rib will fit both the X- Series Victor and Trophy Type Barrels. They will also fit the Traditional Victor Barrels from Conn and Tx. The Price will be $187.50. Customers that have bought the X- Series Pistols will be able to buy a Rib at $131.25 and NO Shipping Charges. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your New X -Series Pistol.- Alan"

I will ask him. your other questions.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:32 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
Thanks for your input Mike! So far, I like what I've read about the X-Series pistols. It appears they will easily keep the great HS reputation going well into the future. What "scope base" is supplied, is one of several questions I have, especially if it's not the one you got? Which magazines fit this model (the Custom X-Series), as I buy a total of 6 for all of my pistols? I'd also need to know what HS Model ("old" - name/model number) Grips fit the X_Series because I prefer the large thumb-rest style (Herrett's or ?) and would be buying some most likely. Is the 2 lb trigger extra, as I see 2.25 lbs is "standard".
I see now that iron sights are not shown or listed for the X-Series, so I guess it's a micro-red-dot only for me, but that's OK as 75% or more of my .22lr pistols are so equipped.
Dang it Bevis, I thought I was all done buying new toys (18 in 2019, 2 already so far in 2020), but it looks like at least one more will likely be headed my way...
The gun comes with two magazines. You can order as many as you wish. Alan has one scope base that I didn't want, and he has more like the one I got. You need to ask him directly. If you like the scope base I got, ask him to save one for. you - I'm not sure how many he has.

I know the old grips fit the new gun, but I don't know much about model numbers, etc. As to the trigger, I'm pretty sure it has an adjustable trigger, as mine has that on the backstop, but I haven't tried using it.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 AM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is "OFM" an acronym? If it is, then what does it stand for?
Old 02-08-2020, 06:30 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If Mike's assessment of the pistol is accurate (in a different thread), and applies to all of the X-Series built, it could mean "Outstanding Freaking Machinery". Lol
Mike, thanks again. I meant to add that I wasn't expecting you to answer those questions, but I got sidetracked and forgot. I've since found the answers to most of them, but still have no idea what the supplied scope base looks like. I do like yours so I may request one. Happy shooting.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
...it could mean "Outstanding Freaking Machinery"...
lol
Old 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If Mike's assessment of the pistol is accurate (in a different thread), and applies to all of the X-Series built, it could mean "Outstanding Freaking Machinery". Lol
Mike, thanks again. I meant to add that I wasn't expecting you to answer those questions, but I got sidetracked and forgot. I've since found the answers to most of them, but still have no idea what the supplied scope base looks like. I do like yours so I may request one. Happy shooting.
Hi there, here is a new photo of the gun, taken a few minutes ago, with the "old" rail. I like this rail very much - it is low, and the red dot sight is probably the lowest it can get. My old photo was taken in poor lighting, and over-sharpened. This photo looks more like the way the gun looks in my hand:

https://www.dropshots.com/MikeMyers/...02-14/12:31:12

Last edited by MikeMyers; 02-14-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:14 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I found the following image at some other forum and it's supposed to be of the "standard rail" included with the new X-Series pistols. I hope you and/or Alan can confirm this is accurate, as I don't like spreading false information.

Mike, I can see how the other style rail (that you have) is desirable with it's lower height. To me, it even has a better look, not that cosmetics are as important as function(?). On the other hand, the standard rail looks to be very rigid in how it's designed and constructed. I say this because I once accidentally bent (down) a "floating rail section" (due to an over crowded range bag & poor packing job on my part) - it was very similar to the rail style you have.

I thought I was ready to order a new X-Series pistol, then I saw the refurbished (Mitchell) stainless steel Pro Series 95 pistols for sale on the web site. Something about this stainless steel handgun with black rubber grips (even if it's an "illegitimate clone") grabbed my attention, and the next thing I know, I'm on the phone asking about them, then I ordered one. I may yet still order an X-Series at some point, but I have to admit I'm excited with the idea and looks of the stainless pistol headed my way. Although it's not exactly a "genuine HS", I hope it's accuracy, trigger, and reliability/functioning live up to what I've come to expect from the High Standard brand. I do hope the X-Series will be available in stainless steel some day. If a stainless one was available now, I would have ordered it instead, in a heartbeat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New HS X_Series_Supplied Scope Base 800x.jpg (131.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Mitchell Pro Series 95.jpg (81.8 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 02-15-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That photo of the "standard rail" does look like what I remember seeing, and after Roddy Toyota went to all the trouble of making me a "perfect rail", that's what I want, and what I told Alan I wanted. The old rails that Alan still has seem to be exactly what I want - just like the rail from Roddy, but Roddy managed to machine things in a way that probably makes it even better. You can email Roddy - I suspect he could make you a rail like the rail he made for me, but I'm very pleased already with the new (old) rail I got from Alan.

I'm in no position to comment on the "Pro Series" gun. It certainly looks pretty, but personally, I want the "real thing". Replica guns usually lose their value quickly, while the originals often go up in value. That's not the main thing to me though - what I care about, Alan and his team have a huge amount of history with High Standard, and they have made the best of what they know into the X-Series.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth - if you're buying the gun for performance, get High Standard. If you want a prettier gun at a lower price, the Pro Series is an option. Here's the thread in this forum about Pro Series, from almost 20 years ago:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=381975
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
At the moment I'm not real concerned about rails, at least not until I decide on actually getting an X-Series pistol. Contrary to the direction I went with most of my other .22 pistols, and I can't explain why, but I've wanted my HS pistols to have iron sights. But having the option for a red dot is nice to also have, as my eyes are not getting any younger.
Like I wrote above, I wish the X_Series was available in stainless because I would have ordered one, no hesitation. Being they are not yet available in stainless, I went with the Pro Series 95. I'm not the least bit worried about value, I just wanted a "good shooter" that's also "HS Accurate" and reliable. In a way I'm kind of glad it's not a new HS pistol, thus I can shoot the living daylights out of it without worries of wearing out "something special" (scratching, dinging, it, etc). At the same time, I do hope Alan and crew refurbish the PS-95 into an accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot pistol before sending it my way. I guess my thinking in some ways is like yours, Mike, "Alan and his team have a huge amount of history with High Standard, and they" ...will hopefully use that expertise to make my PS-95 as great as (they can) into a stainless X-Series (of sorts), in it's own right. Alan, if you're reading this, please don't rush my PS-95 out the door. I'd rather have to wait longer to be sure it's done right, as I know your guys can...
Edit: Thanks for that thread link Mike, but I had found and read it before ordering the PS-95, in doing my research before making mistakes(?), hopefully...

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 02-15-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:15 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just curious, why do you think Alan and High Standard would even think of making a copy of someone else's imitation of a High Standard?

When I wanted a Stainless Steel 1911 "wad gun" for Bullseye, people gave me all sorts of reasons why that would not be good for me, because of the differences in how stainless steel machines, compared to the steel they normally use. I didn't understand, but I took their advice.

I hope Alan finishes the steel sights for the X-Series fairly soon. I would have liked to have bought them along with the gun.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mike, I'm not sure what you're asking by the term - "copy"? If you mean, why would I want them to make a stainless version of the X-Series (which is all I meant), that's simple, I like the strength and durability (with no blue rubbing off over time) of stainless, besides they are especially pretty to my eyes (plus I really like the contrast of black grips and other small black parts against the SS, although I prefer Hogue rubber grips over Pachmayr's). I would not want them to make a "copy" of any one else's guns. With that said, I can see how you may have misunderstood what I was saying, due to how the PS-95 and X-Series look much alike, other than the metal used. After all, they are both based on the same older guns, as far as I know.
I've worked with stainless countless times before, and yes, it's difficult to machine and work. But it's also better at resisting rust, and it's a stronger metal. Stainless guns imho, do need to be kept well lubed with how stainless can gall or weld to itself in certain conditions. But that unlikely possibility on handguns doesn't bother me as I tend to lube all of the moving parts of my guns more than some do, especially my .22's which I tend to run "wet".
I've got a stainless 1911, a Ruger SR-1911, but I don't compete so I have no clue how it would function or hold up in heavy competition use. There are stainless competition guns, such as the Performance Center SW-1911's, so having them in stainless can't be all bad?