Are any .22 ammo companies improving ammo? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:46 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

I think the OP asks a very good question. As for USA ammo, it seems that our last hope lies with CCI. I do not have a lot of trouble with their stuff, and I hope they can keep the quality decent. But I don't expect them to be competition with Eley and Lapua match grade ammo, for reasons MKnarr mentioned previously. Aguila is not the 'best' ammo, but that is a company that may have improved over the past ten years, while US companies went the other way. Though my last brick of Aguila sv was not too good! RUAG/RWS is apparently manufacturing for a number of labels (Geco, Federal match, Norma, walther, maybe others) , so that outfit has a lot of potential influence in the future. I don't know if any of their brands are consistently better than others, or if its all the same stuff and accuracy depends mostly on lot numbers.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:33 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Many years ago, probably 2006/07 I tested one lot of RWS 50. As I recall it didn't shoot very well and the velocity on 15 rounds ran from 978 to 1051 FPS for a spread of 73 FPS. That's not a good omen. I wonder what the same stuff would be like today.

I know a few years ago Lapua started to make their ammo more consistent. I've tested 8 lots of Midas and Center X and the velocity spread on all 8 lots was between 27 and 32 FPS and the average velocity was around 1050 FPS. Different lots of Eley Match were a lot worse.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
LAPUA QUALITY

Latest performance from Lapua ammo shot in a major match- ARA indoor Nationals
it set a new ARA record of 2416.67 agg.(indoor) same rifle-ammo shot 2-2500
Mike Sherrill was the shooter

Prior to this amazing performance of shooter, rifle and ammo. 8- 2500 were shot at a weekend match, of the 8 -2500 6 were shot using Lapua

I would say Lapua is making great ammo

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 12:58 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something is Improving!

During the 2019 American Rimfire Association Outdoor Season, a total of 29 perfect scores of 2500 were recorded and certified. This was accomplished by 18 different shooters.

This compares to only 17 perfect scores by just 11 different shooters in 2017.

In 2012, there were only 5 Certified Perfect ARA Scores.

https://www.americanrimfire.com/inde...IMITED_OUTDOOR

What do you think is getting better?

Shooters?

Rifles?

Ammo?

Here is the Equipment List from the recent ARA Indoor Nationals. Theoretically, Equipment and ammo are more relevant indoors, where other variables are minimized.

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/results

If you didnít know already, ARA is introducing a new Factory Class for the 2020 Season. Here is a link to the rules and which rifles are allowed (so far).

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/supplies
Old 01-02-2020, 01:12 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CCI Blazer used to be inconsistent a few years ago.

I have found Lot# L27X10 to be consistent, with most cartridges tipping the scales at 51.2grains and with the same rim size, spot on the nose for all fifty in each brick in that Lot#.

That never happened in the past. For the price, it is hard to beat. My scores speak for themselves. Consistent .22 LR ammo that suits a handgun or rifle is all we really need.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 AM
Treefeller22
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I personally think SK have made some kind of improvement in the last 12 months. I’ve started shooting the new Long Range Match and it’s definitely better. Originally I changed to Flatnose and it was awesome in my Anschutz 64MPR as well as others CZ’s but when the long range came out my groups out past 75m halved. Below is what I can do in normal conditions @90m for 32rds. The vertical spread is 1/2 of SK flatnose...... the 2nd picture ( different day)

This has also been the observation of at least 2 others in my club that have tried the SK Long Range in there rifles. Noticeable reduction in vertical stringing of there groups.

Last edited by Treefeller22; 01-02-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:18 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
As always, results will vary box to box.
My chronograph numbers with all the SK line showed the MV spread is not a constant.
Differences in MV will cause serious vertical stringing at longer distances.
Gravity sucks.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Gravity sucks.
I detect some anti-gravity hot air Jala.

As for USA made ammo improvements our hopes seem to hang on CCI and their QC is sorely lacking these days IME. YMMV on the size of the beer cans plinking of course.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:54 AM
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
85% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
There is an axiom in 22LR shooting. "You want better accuracy? Then buy better ammo and lot test." There was an article about Eley ammunition a while ago where they had identified about 1000 things that can affect accuracy.

Besides, I competed for 10 years in long range silhouette matches from 65 to 200 meters. Current ammo is quite good enough. The biggest problem is the equipment, the shooter and the wind, not the ammo.
Can you please post the link to the article you mention? Sounds like a good read, Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 11:57 AM
sof
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have to agree with Treefeller regarding the SK line. Once you get out around 100 yards and up, the Long Range seems to come into it's own and at least in my rifles, put up significantly better groups than about any others I have tried.

Jaia, have you you done any of your testing on it?

Also, how is it that the above mentioned SK Long Range is only mediocre at 50 yards but shines at longer distances? Educate me because logic says it would be tighter at 50 too, right?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:11 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You know I have SOF.

It's down in the RFC Long Range forum....50 at 200.

how is it that the above mentioned SK Long Range is only mediocre at 50 yards but shines at longer distances?

Optimism? The power of positive thinking?

Last edited by jaia; 01-02-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:27 PM
sof
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You da man! That's a great link, wish I had a 200 yarder nearby.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsquirrel View Post
Can you please post the link to the article you mention? Sounds like a good read, Thanks!
The Best of the Best get better
Old 01-08-2020, 02:57 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Exclamation Link to ELEY ammo manufacturing tackling variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsquirrel View Post
Here you go: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...novation/99080
Old 01-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete View Post
Activating primer with water....whodathunk!

Eley hp subs is my favorite ammo for squirrel and fox. Big Wish they had bumper stickers for my collections.