Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Leadshaft
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
SK and Lapua ammo easiest to clean?

I just returned from a trip to the range. I was shooting SK (old wolf) ammo through my Kidd barreled 10-22. The first patch was easy to pull through and the second patch came out almost clean. A little cleaning of the bolt. breach and muzzle and I was done. I don't remember any 10-22 that was this easy to clean? I know the Kidd barrel is smooth on the inside but was it the ammo? Or should I say the lube on the ammo? Just for the record, this is not my first Kidd and I have several 22's with first rate barrels. I just recently decided I have to shoot this old ammo up and I also bought some Midas and Center X to try.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
its still going to build a carbon ring. if you patch it when the barrel is hot, with something like ballistol it will knock the ring down a bunch. but to get the ring down as it builds, the most effective thing i have found is 3 parts hoppes #9, and 1 part kroil mixed. and scrub the throat with a 6mm bore brush.

you can get a barrel to come out super clean with all kinds of other cleaners/methods, and then soak the throat in hoppes/kroil, scrub and have the patches come out completely black. the ring is baked into the leade, which is why it is so difficult to remove when it cools.

Last edited by Clem-E; 01-14-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:09 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ammo have you shot out of your 10-22 that didn't clean up as easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Leadshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
The worst that I have used is Remington SS HP

CCI standard vel. did not clean anywhere as easily as this Wolf. I think that is the only three that I have used. How about you? have you noticed that some ammo cleans up better than others?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, all ammo is not created equal. I recently torched (in open air) some propellant from old SK Standard Plus, likely the same as your Wolf and it left little residue. I didn't ignite the primer but that to is probably cleaner than a few others on the market.