savage haters- hate this!!! savage takes top 3 spots at hickory shoot - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 AM
clivej

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Looking to buy a Savage 12FVSS 308 soon.

Tried to see this from the post here but could not find the details of:
1. What was the Savage model of the rifles used?
2. What calibre was used in this factory class of shooting?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
postal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clive,

223 LRPV - long range precision varmint.

Depending on what exactly you want to do with the rifle, they now have many models to choose from for different applications, including the new F class rifles in 6mmBR, with a different ultra lightweight "accutrigger", instead of the normal accutrigger.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
SQUAWSACH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The comment about Savages not copper fouling caught my attention. My Savage FP in 25-06 has 2000 round through it and it will still copper foul. It's the most accurate gun I own and the copper fouling is just part of owning a centerfire. I clean the copper out of it, not a problem. My friends also own Savages and thier rifles copper foul also. I don't quite buy the Savages don't copper foul statement. They seem to copper foul just as much as my Remington and Winchester but it does out shoot my Remington and Winchester. I would highly recommend a Savage to anyone looking for a centerfire rifle but please don't get the impression that you won't have to use normal centerfire cleaning practices on Savages. They copper foul like any other centerfire.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have to agree mine copper foul just as bad as any rifle. they do have a tighter standard on the barrels, and the floating bolt is very foregiving on the actions. i've seen one that had been dropped out of a tree and had bent the action slightly. it still cycled prefectly because of the floating bolt. the guys who won the matches shot the .223 caliber savage. they had 1 in 7 twist barrels on it. i believe all three shot the same gun from all the info i read on line about it. savage makes a 6br and model 12t/r in .308. they also have a model 12 f class in 6.5x285 that is truely awesome. i had looked into buying one until i found out they burn barrels out really fast. at 1000 rounds it is time to rebarrel them. i'm looking into biulding a savage rifle this year fopr benchrest shooting. i haven't made up my mind on what yet. 6br, or 30br. had been reading about the SMc's rounds in percision shooting and if i could find more out about them i would love to biuld one. 4650 fps, and they don't burn barrels out is interesting to me. they have a new designed brass chase where the powder burns inside the case and not in the barrel.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Wow the Savage guy is the one with a problem now. I didn't say anything out of line about Savage, and still will not... but let me give you a hint, if whatever you are trying to promote is that good, trashing another brand to do it is a good sign that you have a problem (Meaning trashing the remington)

Also out of curiosity how much is that savage f class that is such a good shooter ? being you named the price tag on the rem 40x ? One more small question, will the savage hold the resale that the rem does ? Not in general here being the comment was made on the 40x... I have worked around gun shops and know what resale the savage holds, remington if you purchased a gun the last 10 years or so will bring what the gun cost new not counting last 2 years

Clint (and I thought it was savage haters, looks like it's savage owners or owner is the hater)
Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I just can't leave well enough alone. I want to note to every one I am not trashing savage, I do want to point out a few things to postal without stirring the pot which it seems this post is all about, it's not about Remington verses savage here, it's the point.

I ran a search on gunbroker, savage f class sells for over $1,000 new, from your own words postal so that would put the savage in a factory class ? Not sure what bottom end savages cost now, used to you could buy them around $300, then you have a $1000 gun from same company that is just a factory good shooting gun savage even !!

Also I have never owned one, I don't like the action, nothing about it is cheap, I just don't like the layout of it.... BUT if the barrels are as good as everyone seems to think, and shoot so great why are so many re barreled ? I agree this is one of the main selling points of savage, but why ?

Remington chambers are famous for being long is BULL, I have several Remington's now, and have owned many... along with Winchester, Cooper, Ruger the only long throated chamber was a old Ruger I assume had been shot a lot. Don't whine about a chamber when you want to shoot special bullets, have a chamber cut to the dimension of the bullet, and I don't think savage just accidentally cuts the correct throat on every chamber, if it happens to fit the one you mention what happens to all the others who want to use teh heavier bullets ? They just stuff it back in the case and a miracle happens ?

It's not really fair to compare the $1000 savage to a Remington SPS, why not compare it to a 40x or a XR-100 Range Master ? I get a kick out of comparisons between a "target gun" and a sporter.

Remington will hit the floor, that is fine with me, I will just buy a used Remington or anything other than a Savage, I don't care if they plated them in gold I don't like the action myself, and it has zero to do with it being a savage, not strong enough, or the barrel nut. So scream savage all you want, there will be plenty for you.

Now truth be know, bang for buck a Cooper is in that price range of guns, and will outshoot any of the above, but I'm sure it's not factory either If you want to post a wow, or nice article don't start trashing products of other makes, it really does nothing but bring attention to why you are doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Clint- tell me again whats the base price on a 40x? I forgot.... I *thought* a 40x 22lr was about 1k.... So You would have me believe that a 1k rem is a standard factory line product? Sure if it was Annie.... but rem? I dun think so.

Regarding your statement of barrel work. Yes savages biggest selling point (besides being more accurate than rem) is how easy it is to swap barrels. However, this competition had factory and custom classes- I highly doubt those factory tubes were in any way modded- If you so chose- you could confront the 3 shooters about that yourself- however.

Factory savage chambers are usually significantly better than rem- which are infamous for being long in the throat- for 308 anyway. I read about this issue all the time because many people want to use 155gr scenars which are longer than 175 smk's- and 155's want to be seated into the lands by 5-10thou. This makes a VERY long COAL which will not fit many factory magazines for rem because the excessively long throat- but measuring my savage- It shouldnt be an issue.

The easiest way to say it, is savage seems to listen to their customers and fill niche markets with factory offerings other brands will not- Accuracy is inherent to that brand as well. Winning combination if ya ask me.

BTW- savages are on the national F class team this year too- and factory savages are doing well in regional f class matches as well.

Ya hear that? Listen close..... it's the sound of rem hitting the floor after getting knocked off their pillar!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 AM
postal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I get a bit of copper in my tube as well. I never treated it with tubbs or jb bore paste or anything like that- which *may* help. If you want low fouling and quick easy cleaning, quality aftermarket barrels are renowned for this. I would point out that for el cheapo factory tubes, savages are considered among the best for "factory" which pales in comparison to premium aftermarket however.

Savage LRPV- $600 this is the rifle used in the comp. Even money with 700's.

Not the $1k F class. However, just the fact that savage offers a rifle specifically designed to shoot F class.... and for 1k.... that's pretty cool, since any thing else would be a custom job costing far more.

308 happens to be an extremely popular round- and the 155 scenars, although much lighter, are actually significantly longer in the ogive than the heavy 175gr SMK. People who own 308 and want 1k distance, typically use 175 smk, but the 155 scenar has the same BC, and has an extra 200 FPS- which is a HUGE advantage for long range work. And seeing how this projectile likes to be jammed into the lands... a long throat makes COAL too long to fit in the magazine. Would you like me to direct you to some of the threads I can find where rem owners measure the chamber with a stoney point chamber gauge and scream the throat is too long? I've seen plenty of those threads myself. Saw one just the other night on snipers hide.

You're the who brought up rem to begin with in a SAVAGE thread.

since ya brought it up.... accutrigger..... x mark..... accutrigger= significant improvement over the old clunky trigger. x-mark.... lets just say I've read a LOT of negative about them from longtime rem owners.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (60)
Go Browning!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always thought it was the shooters, and not the gun that won a match Yea! for the shooters, whoever they be.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
WayneJessie

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I thought my Savage was accurate until I purchased a 1500 Howa heavy barrel varmit. Sure, Savage makes a good gun but there are many other guns that will shoot just as well. Alot has to do with who is pulling the trigger.