Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
77/22 all weather, any suggestions ?

I have wanted a Ruger 77/22 for a longgg time, I picked one up about a year ago and got a super deal on it. The only problem was it was the VBZ ( I think that's right) medium weight barrel, target finish and just to heavy for my taste in a general hunting rifle. I really like the looks of the 77/22 stainless all weather rifles with sights, and hear opinion of those who have or had them. I'm torn between the all weather and the walnut blued... also between 22 mag and 22 lr. I have a 10/22 magnum, and also a couple of 10/22 lr's but love a bolt action. Maybe I will have a 77/22 in magnum and lr one day, but for now pretty much settled on a lr to get started out.

Is the synthetic stock decent ? Not looking for a BR stock, however I have had the synthetic stocks bend like a big piece of rubber before also, the 10/22 Ruger stocks I have owned like this on a 10/22 were decent and plenty good enough for sporter rifle. I have read over the forum some, 77/22 is to short of a search term so any help on how to search for 77/22 would also be appreciated. If the synthetic stock does not work out I can always go to a walnut version, but again the hitch seems to be needing bottom metal then, no way around this if I want the all weather stainless version with sights tho. Pretty much have already purchased it, so any opinions or easy upgrades/tricks to do would be very helpful.

Thanks, Clint
Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
ROSCOEJOHNSON
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 77/22 in 22 lr. with the synthetic stock. The stock is fairly flimsy. As it comes from the factory, the barrel hits the channel in the stock. With the stock being flimsy, any pressure on the underside of the forearm will alter the point of impact. I solved this problem by placing an appropriate size washer between the stock and the action. I super glued the washer over the hole where the front screw comes through the stock and attaches to the action. This raises the barrel enough (free floats it) so that it doesn't touch the stock. Other than that, I like the feel of the stock and the look of the stock. Some people think it looks like a paddle, but I like it.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Lurchermiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Ruger All weather .22LR with the so called "Boat Paddle stock" I love this stock and in no way is it or can it be bendy or flimsy. The inserts in the grip and forend in the sock are held in by screws and nuts which go right through from one side to the other ensure that the stock is very rigid. Further more, unlike synthetic stocks that have stippled or grainy surface, on the Ruger stock if you scratch or mark it the damage is easily polished out with a metal polish - yes metal polish and the finish is undetectable. You could not do this on any other non smooth synthetic stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM
lev83

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have owned several of these and all of them have been excellent. Although the skeleton stock is somewhat utilitarian in form it is excellent functionally and much easier to care for than the blued and walnut versions. Just pick one up you wont be sorry.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
CajunBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
All I know about them, is I want one.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Ferdinand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I feel like CajunBass. I've wanted a boat paddle SS 77/22 for a long time. Now that CZ prices are coming up so fast with the sinking dollar, the 77/22 is looking better and better. For accuracy, the CZ is tough to beat - certainly seems to outdo the 77/22 most of the time. I really want that SS 77/22 though.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Waiting on mine to get here, takes forever !! well when you want something.

I have lusted after one of these for years, and with iron sights that is a hard to find package. I finally found one expensive for sure, but they just keep getting more expensive and harder to find. Should see something by the end of this week, thanks for all the replies. One thing as many 10/22's as I have owned and modified this 77/22 will stay stock, I may lighten the trigger some if need be, and if for some strange reason I'm not happy with the stock go with a factory walnut stock, but I have fondled the factory synthetic stock before and really liked it.

Clint
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 AM
CajunBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
I feel like CajunBass. I've wanted a boat paddle SS 77/22 for a long time. Now that CZ prices are coming up so fast with the sinking dollar, the 77/22 is looking better and better. For accuracy, the CZ is tough to beat - certainly seems to outdo the 77/22 most of the time. I really want that SS 77/22 though.
About the only thing I don't like about the CZ is that it's the "hot" thing to have right now. It seems everybody and his cousin has one. And the reason they have one is because they're darn good rifles I know, but I have always wanted something just a little different from the crowd.

Back in my tournament bass fishing days, "everybody" ran Ranger Boats. I ran a Cajun. When I got a motorcycle, I didn't want a Harley, I got a BMW. I'm just hard headed I guess.

Clint, I'd been looking at an all weather 77/22 for weeks. It had a 3X9 scope (with a matching silver colored tube), iron sights, and a sling. They were asking <$400.00 for it. It was gone the last time I went in. That seemed like a good price to me when I looked at the price of a new one.

Again like you for the all weather one I like the iron's, but if I was going to get blued/walnut I think I'd rather have the clean no sight barrel. No idea why.

Last edited by CajunBass; 04-22-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be careful going from a wood stock model to a factory synthetic stock. Ruger does not show all of the parts needed and I don't know that they will sell you a complete stock.

The wood stocked models have the part that holds the rear of the magazine mounted on the tigger guard. On the synthetic version that part is seperate and mounts to the bottom of the receiver. The part for the .22LR and the .22 Mag are not the same.

If you buy a used factory stock (not too hard to find because of many converted to wood stock) make sure you get the extra parts that you need. The part tend to get lost and without it the stock has little use.