When were 10/22 anodized, painted & plastic TGs? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger66 View Post
All early 10/22's up until the early 70's. That includes the receiver,barrel bands and butt plates. Also the grip frames of the early single actions. They range in color from jet black to almost gray. Some of you have probably have seen barrel bands and grip frame of some of the early 44 Carbine,10/22's and single action revolvers a little on the gray side. They switched to a teflon coating after that.Until when I don't know.
I do remember now you posting a picture of the super early models you have and I noted they were anodized. I also agree about the 44 carbine I had one with teh gray anodizing, what happens is the layer is either not thick enough or the pores are to big and will not hold the dye, so when they seal it the dye is lost. That gray color is the color of a clear anodized 10/22, or very very close, and you can compare that to the gray I posted a picture of... however I did not dye that one in black on purpose, a very short time in gray to soften it up some. I still have never held a factory anodized 10/22 in my hand, but have the 44 carbine

Clint
Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM
mscales5
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to mscales5 Send a message via Yahoo to mscales5
Ok, here are pictures of the black and silver receivers. They are anodized. And to back that up I had shguy here in town that deals with anodizing for hte oil fields and he confirmed that it was anodizing. The black and silver both have the same look as Clints with all the sand marks showing. It is not a teflon coating. The silver has no build up of a paint and has hte same low sheen as the black one does. I have no picture of hte clear coated paint receiver as I have stripped it but it was brand new out of the box and the clear had that bluish tint to it. It is a clear paint and is thick on the ecdges and flows into the roll stamping filling it up. I am telling anyone what Ruger did, I am telling you what Rugers I have and what the coating is. It is anodizing on these 2 receivers.

Black:

Silver:

I had a couple receivers ceramic coated and they were very ncie but it looked or had the appearance of a coating and looked nothing like anodizing.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mike

I think both are painted, and here is how you can tell. I can't point it out as well on the top one, however notice two things right off on the bottom one. Notice the stripe across the trigger assembly, also the paint filled ruger and model etc. The top one trigger assembly looks like it's painted as well, I'm guess the top is one one of the older models.

Looking back again it's hard to tell on the top receiver, compare the trigger assembly to the picture I posted, maybe Ruger66 can post some pics of factory anodized 10/22's

A very simple test, you can put a dab of paint stripper on inside of receiver and see what happens, however if the top one is teflon coated the paint stripper will not have any effect one it. The bottom one if you sprayed carb cleaner on it would strip the entire paint from the receiver.

Whatever they are it's really hard to tell over the internet, and if you have dealt with paint for that long, and also a anodizer said they are anodized I may be looking at them wrong, as I said it's really hard to tell if your not holding them in your hands.

Clint

Last edited by clint; 04-11-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint View Post
Mike

I think both are painted, and here is how you can tell. I can't point it out as well on the top one, however notice two things right off on the bottom one. Notice the stripe across the trigger assembly, also the paint filled ruger and model etc. The top one trigger assembly looks like it's painted as well, I'm guess the top is one one of the older models.

Looking back again it's hard to tell on the top receiver, compare the trigger assembly to the picture I posted, maybe Ruger66 can post some pics of factory anodized 10/22's

A very simple test, you can put a dab of paint stripper on inside of receiver and see what happens, however if the top one is teflon coated the paint stripper will not have any effect one it. The bottom one if you sprayed carb cleaner on it would strip the entire paint from the receiver.

Whatever they are it's really hard to tell over the internet, and if you have dealt with paint for that long, and also a anodizer said they are anodized I may be looking at them wrong, as I said it's really hard to tell if your not holding them in your hands.

Clint
These are NOT paint. I have already tried stripper and solvents. They are NOT paint.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Here one of Clint's clear anodized...

Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Here one of Clint's clear anodized...
Thank you Chaser, that's the color I was looking for. It is a great color in my opinion, however not the stainless color or clear look everyone might expect. It looks like heat treated Titanium scale, aluminum also has this color of scale when heat treated.

Clint
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Those that mscales posted are anodized. You won't see the brushed metal finish through a coating of any kind. I also don't see anything filling the lettering. That is deformation of the surrounding metal from the stamping process. Mine is clear anodized, it does not change the color at all. I will post a picture tomorrow. Maybe you're thinking of a teflon hardcoat that is a dull gray color. Somewhere along the line Ruger changed all their aluminum finishes, possibly all at once. I know for a fact that up until several years ago, all their single action aluminum parts were anodized. I've stripped a few with Easy Off oven cleaner. The difference is plain as day.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a couple shots of mine. It's clamped in a vise as it's in the final stages of my "tactical" buildup. Awaiting drilling, tapping and refinishing. By its serial number, obvious in the second picture, it was produced in 1993.

Last edited by CraigC; 04-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Here's a couple shots of mine. It's clamped in a vise as it's in the final stages of my "tactical" buildup. Awaiting drilling, tapping and refinishing. By its serial number, obvious in the second picture, it was produced in 1993.

Thanks Craig. I was going to delete this thread because of all the debate.

I will say this again, MY RECEIVERS ARE ANODIZED!!! I am not debating what finish is on MY RECEIVERS. They are ANODIZED.

They are not painted or have any spray, dipped or charged coatings. The CLEAR anodizing has no depth to it. The CLEAR painted receivers, which I have and stripped for my next project, have a bluish tint to them and appear a little cloudy. I stripped this receiver because it was UGLY with that clear on it.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales5 View Post
The CLEAR anodizing has no depth to it.
That's really the easiest way to tell with the stainless guns. The coated guns will have a glazed appearance with a different texture. Almost like epoxy. The added depth should be rather obvious, especially at the edges. With the blued guns, there will be no visible "grain" and the color will always be the same. While a lot of the anodized guns have turned shades of purple.

Similar to the difference between bluing and powdercoating.