Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
mscales5
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to mscales5 Send a message via Yahoo to mscales5
When were 10/22 anodized, painted & plastic TGs?

Ok, I have done a little research on when Ruger stopped anodizing 10/22 parts and started painting and when (as we now know) started plastic parts. here is what I found through my personal collection and FFL records.

Ruger anodized their aluminum receivers at least until 1998. I burchased one for my daughter from Point Sporting Goods on 4/20/98 in the ser # range of 247-67XXX. This was a K10/22 stainless version made for Point with a special laminated stock and Tasco scope mounted and bore sighted in a case. THere were 2 versions of this 10/22, one was black and one was silver. Both were anodized and came with Tasco scopes with the Ruger Eagle on the scope cap.

I also have a K10/22 synthetic stock (boat oar style) that is clear coat painted. This one was purchased from Davidson's on 8/10/99 and is ser # 249-98XXX. Ruger shows this ser # run extending into 2000. I do not have a black painted version so I can not verify the black paint started at the same time but it is most likely so.

Now, I ordered some 10/22RBs from Davidson's on 3/19/08 and these came in with the new plastic trigger housings. They were ser # to 351-61XXX. On 3/27/08 I ordered 5 10/22s from another wholesaler that has some special runs from Ruger and they were all metal TGHs and black painted NON-textured receivers. The highest ser # was 351-16XXX. Then on 4/4/08 I orded 2 10/22CRRs and they are in black textured paint and the ser # to 351-74XXX with plastic TGHs. So, somewhere between thes 2 ser # runs they switched to the new textured baclk receivers and then to the plastic TGHs.

I have verified all this with my FFL records and with 10/22s I have in my own collection so there is no guessing to what is listed on this thread. I hope this helps everyone that has questions on Rugers BAIT & SWITCH progarm.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have had early/mid 70's 10/22's and late 90's all in between even the late 2000 models ( not the new plastics out now tho) and never seen a factory anodized receiver. They used some type of teflon paint on the early models ( I anodized a receiver for skeeter and it had this paint, very very tough stuff.. however it was paint and not anodized as it flaked, anodize chips.. it was strong enough glass beads would not have much effect on it) the newer ones was a clear powder coat I assume, the late models that paint comes off of so easy is just a latex like paint it seems, and I have not seen a new plastic trigger guard/orange peel receiver yet

Clint
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I think the new ones are watered down BLACK DIP-IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
anodized SS??

Didn't think Ruger ever made a SS (stainless) anodized receiver.

Also didn't think the black anodized ones made it as far as '98.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
THere are no powder coated 10/22 made by Ruger. The anodizing I am referring to is not a coating. It will scratch like the metal. It does not flake and it will not come off with paint remover. Iif it is a teflon then that is a coating. Mine are not coated and the finish is in the metal. It also shows all the sanding line on the receiver and trigger housing with both black and silver receivers. If it is not anodizing then it is as close to it as you can get but it is not a coating. It is in the metal. Anodizing does not flake or chip. It is a process that inpregnates the color into the surface of metal through a chemical process. Hard anodizing can create a hard surface on a softer metal that will withstand mre then the bar metal alone will. If it chips or flakes it is not anodizing or it is a very poor job or metal.

I owned a body shop for over 30 years and I am very familiar with paints and coating. Also having raced cars and boats I know about anodizing. Being a firearms dealer I am also familair with their coatings and finishes like teflon and the rest. The SILVER receiver on my daughters 10/22 is one hard surface. I removed teh trigger housing and tried to scratch the finish. When I finally got through it with a awl, the metal scratched. No chipping or flaking of the finish, just scratches and into the metal. If it is not anodizing it is a very close imitation.

Last edited by mscales5; 04-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theearlof View Post
Didn't think Ruger ever made a SS (stainless) anodized receiver.

Also didn't think the black anodized ones made it as far as '98.
Ruger never made a stainless receiver and stainless can not be anodized.

Again, if the finish is not anodized then it is something similar but what I have is not paint or a surface coating.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mike

I'm not trying to get an argument going here, however I would like to discuss this in a bit more detail, and I think everyone myself included can learn. First pictures, lets takes some pictures if possible to compare. I have 2 receivers/trigger groups that are anodized I know they are because I anodized them (close up pictures below). Also the anodized layer is very strong in resistance to abrasion, however very fragile to cracking and chipping from impacts and dropping etc. Anodizing is very easy to spot if you compare side by side samples. A very easy way is to look where the bolt rides (picture below of mine) this receiver has many rounds thru it and the anodizing is doing what it supposed to, creating a very slick surface with no wear to the receiver.. I hope it shows up enough, also sorry for all the pics

Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
One more thing/things (sorry about all the pictures above) the receiver can never be anodized and come out looking like stainless, it will be a dull color. You notice on the receiver above how it does have a shine to it, the color is dull dark black, if anodized in clear (stainless look) it will be dark a bit darker than titanium, and you can not dye it to make it a lighter color than the substrate itself and cast being the problem here.. the receiver is very dark gray after anodizing. Hope with the pictures above and info it helps some.

Clint
Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales5 View Post
Ruger never made a stainless receiver and stainless can not be anodized.

Again, if the finish is not anodized then it is something similar but what I have is not paint or a surface coating.

mscales5

Yes I am aware that all the Ruger receivers are aluminum. I was just refering to what they are called, SS or stainless, not my choice of nameing. I still believe that Ruger did not put out a "silver colored" anodized receiver.

I agree with what you are saying about coatings and hard anodize, I am familiar with that as well. I have one of the older black receivers that is anodized and really like that finish compared to the painted ones.

Earl

Last edited by theearlof; 04-11-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's my understanding that the stainless guns have a "clear" anodized receiver. It's not a dark gray, for the finish is completely colorless. It doesn't look like stainless but it's as close as aluminum will come to it.

Clint's pictures above are a good representation of what anodizing looks like. You can typically see the metal's "grain" through it. Not possible with a coating. If you know what to look for, the difference is quite obvious.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I hope Skeeter will post a picture of his receiver and show a clear anodized 10/22. It is no where close to stainless, or even silver. Below is very close to a clear anodized 10/22, this one is just a tad darker.

Also note where bolt rides, no bare places, the anodized receiver will polish some from bolt cycle, I have not had one wear thru yet... Not saying it is not possible, I use a dry moly lube or dry teflon and it only polishes.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine is a stainless/black laminate model that is approximately 15yrs old and is clear anodized. It is the color of brushed aluminum.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I'm really not trying to be a horses butt here, and I still will not say anyone is wrong until I see it in a pic and can tell or otherwise. However in all the time and 10/22's I have never seen one single factory anodized receiver. That is counting very early models, liberty models, late models, all in between, dsp's stainless color, etc etc. Post some pics

Clint
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
ruger66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All early 10/22's up until the early 70's. That includes the receiver,barrel bands and butt plates. Also the grip frames of the early single actions. They range in color from jet black to almost gray. Some of you have probably have seen barrel bands and grip frame of some of the early 44 Carbine,10/22's and single action revolvers a little on the gray side. They switched to a teflon coating after that.Until when I don't know.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger66 View Post
All early 10/22's up until the early 70's. That includes the receiver,barrel bands and butt plates. Also the grip frames of the early single actions. They range in color from jet black to almost gray. Some of you have probably have seen barrel bands and grip frame of some of the early 44 Carbine,10/22's and single action revolvers a little on the gray side. They switched to a teflon coating after that.Until when I don't know.

My '72 was and it's still in great shape...tough stuff