Mothballed guns. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mothballed guns.

Since being laid off, I've been digging out guns that I haven't seen for many years.

I found this H&R Topper Mod. 58 12 ga. ~15 years ago I removed the pistol grip and high comb from the stock, and replaced the plastic buttplate with a Pachmayr pad. Gun is light and the pad is thin. Kicks hard with anything but light loads. My 870 and Mod 12 are much more pleasant.

I also found 34 ancient Winchester 12 ga brass shells in my stash. Hmmm...

I ultrasonic cleaned the shells and primed them (they use large pistol primers). I have half a pound of FFG Goex and plenty of shot on hand. I ordered the required wads/cards. I also found a .715 ball mould in my pile of casting stuff. This should be fun.

I also pulled out my K31, K98k, No.4 Mk.2 SMLE, 1903 Springfield, Garand and an M1 Carbine. I have lots of ammo for them, but rimfire and airgun projects pushed my milsurps to the back of the safe.

Now that money is scarce, using guns that I don't have to buy ammo for has become an incentive to take them out to the range again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R 12 ga.jpg (512.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 AM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had a Topper a few years back. It was a N%%% special, camoed in 3.5 in. I don't have that gun any more. It was really painful to shoot. Your idea of loading those brass shells up is a neat ideal. I"m sure you will have fun with it loading something that is fun to shoot.

EDIT: For anyone who was offended by my original post, and if you will look to the right you will see my one and only 'yellow card" warnig please let this be a wrarning to all of you who use acronys instead of taking time to spell it out, this is what can happen. The above, which has been modified by the site, was an acronym, for thoe who may not know, for National Wild Turkey Federation. So, for those of you whom I offended, please accept my sincerest apologies and I will never use an acronym again, even for the United States of America.

Last edited by lasttombstone; 05-28-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:18 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
You've been a busy bee. Drag 'em out, clean 'em up, shoot. Repeat as necessary.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 01:39 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post

Gun is light and the pad is thin. Kicks hard with anything but light loads.

I also found a .715 ball mould in my pile of casting stuff. This should be fun.
Is anybody else other than me noticing the disconnect right here?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've loaded 1.25 oz of shot over 75 grains of BP in the past, and fired it from similar weight guns. It's a fairly light load.

A .715 ball weighs 1.25 ounces.

Thanks for your concern, though.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:05 AM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
95% (31)
I was joking, but I still wouldn't call 1 1/4 ounces fairly light.

I was just having flashbacks to earlier days of hunting deer with 12 gauge slugs. For some reason, they sure seemed to hammer me a lot harder than any birdshot load.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a second I was thinking I could feel the pain from here. Anyway the only thing I see wrong is that the recoil pad needs to be thicker or maybe you or just tougher than me.

John
Old 05-28-2020, 09:10 AM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I fired a 12 gauge slug once, that was just plenty, thank you.

Speaking of mothballed guns, I have not fired my Garand in about 25 years or so, gotta dig it out and exercise it a little.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my first deer @ age 9 with a 12ga slug with dad's shotgun. It left a black scorch mark on the white roof of his Rambler American. He was happy there wasn't a groove in the roof with the sights sitting higher than the barrel n all. It didn't knock me over but he got me a 410 for an early xmas present after.

Dunno the exact caliber of this mothy Marlin sitting in the safe for years thats kind of inherited by default. I think a flip up rear sight I have fits it that came with some other 'stuff'.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1590678099
Old 05-28-2020, 01:10 PM
lasttombstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I wanted to add this to the thread for information purposes as most of the time previous posts don't get revisited and I wanted anyone who took offense to my post to be able to see my apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
I had a Topper a few years back. It was a N%%% special, camoed in 3.5 in. I don't have that gun any more. It was really painful to shoot. Your idea of loading those brass shells up is a neat ideal. I"m sure you will have fun with it loading something that is fun to shoot.

EDIT: For anyone who was offended by my original post, and if you will look to the right you will see my one and only 'yellow card" warnig please let this be a wrarning to all of you who use acronys instead of taking time to spell it out, this is what can happen. The above, which has been modified by the site, was an acronym, for thoe who may not know, for National Wild Turkey Federation. So, for those of you whom I offended, please accept my sincerest apologies and I will never use an acronym again, even for the United States of America.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
I fired a 12 gauge slug once, that was just plenty, thank you.
Yeah, I'm not too big on super-slugs, 00 buck or 3" magnums.

A few factors are involved with felt recoil, velocity being a major one.

A typical (non-magnum) 2 3/4" 1oz 12ga slug load has ~1600 fps at the muzzle. The loads I'll be making using 1.25 oz balls will only produce ~800-900 fps.

But I guess I'll bring along a 3/4" steel rod to put into the buttstock, to heavy up the gun if need be.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post

Wow. I guess I'll have to read up on the acronym rules here.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Dunno the exact caliber of this mothy Marlin sitting in the safe for years thats kind of inherited by default. I think a flip up rear sight I have fits it that came with some other 'stuff'.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1590678099
Beautifle rifle!

If I remember correctly, it was Marlin's 1st lever action designed for smokeless.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Beautifle rifle!

If I remember correctly, it was Marlin's 1st lever action designed for smokeless.
It does say for smokeless powder or something similar on the barrel if memory serves.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bust that ole lever gun out, Al. I’ve been working on handloads with cast bullets for my 30-30 Winchester 64-A lately. I put a Redfield rear peep and a Lyman 17a up front a joy to shoot with light handloads. It really likes the 110gr Speers with the massive hollow points loaded to around 2300fps. They explode going through a paper target leaving lead spray on the backside.