Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 PM
GroundSquack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Split Cases?

Sorry if this has been asked/posted before but I have Ruger 77/17HM2 and my godfather bought me a bunch of CCI Fast and Furious ammo for it. I notice alot of split case necks after firing the ammo. Anyone else experience this? I have not noticed any problems associated with this but Im sure in the long run it might cause problems. I might just switch ammo.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 PM
crowkiller36
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a cz452 mach 2 and it shoots best with eley but I have a lot of split case necks with that ammo also. It even does it with hornady.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Guy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Splits

You are experiencing a common issue. check to see how many cases are split BEFORE firing. I was getting 10%+ from CCI. I have had none to date from Eley. Not long ago I posted results from shooting pre splits vs non splits. Seemed to make little difference if any from my NEF sporster. I would however clean the chamber more frequently.Eley is available online for about $4 a box with moderate shipping when bought in case lots. I got 10k and then some. good shooting, Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Scotwood69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was a the range yesterday and I was shooting my Marlin model 917m2. I had 2 boxes of 10 year old CCI fast and furious ammo. The fourth shot the rim blew out. It bent the extractor, broke the magazine guide and splattered my face with debris. I called CCI and they had had other complaints from other shooters for the same thing. I talked to a fella named Cody Barker, he was very knowledgeable on the subject and ask me to send the rest of the ammo I had and the blowout case to him (at there expense) and he would send me 2 new boxes of Mach2 ammo and offered to pay for and damages to my rifle. Real nice guy and very helpful. If you have any CCI fast and furious ammo chances are it is bad and the cases are split at the case mouth. Either throw it out or send it back to CCI for a replacement. IT IS NOT SAFE TO SHOOT!!!!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
8 year old thread.

Very very very odd/strange to have such an issue and damage in a bolt action rifle. I've never heard of it before. Only happens in semi auto conversion type normally.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:07 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
8 year old thread.

Very very very odd/strange to have such an issue and damage in a bolt action rifle. I've never heard of it before. Only happens in semi auto conversion type normally.
Rim and neck splits happen in any type of action. They are a function of brittle brass caused by the lack of annealing and the brass formulation used. The older CCI was the worst and became worse yet over time. While I have had hundreds of neck and rim splits in various bolt guns, none have sustained any damage to date.