Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
VERY BAD IDEA!!!

Shipping gun parts out of the U.S. without a proper export license can put you in scalding hot water very quickly.
I'm pretty sure it depends on what type of parts we're talking about.

Antique sporting arms parts aren't regulated under ITAR, are they? Does the State Department (or another agency) have rules against it?
Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire10ring View Post
I have had dealings with an overseas seller of particular gun parts. I have bought numerous parts from him over the years and have always asked for more. He has, on several occasions, has included other parts in the mix.
You mean to say that you asked him for extra parts, and he sent them to you free of charge at the time of sale?

If so, the extra parts were gifts. Maybe in gratitude for your order, maybe in the hope of future sales.

I'd educate him on the little-known "Indian Giver" law we have in the US. And it doesn't only apply to sellers in India either.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:28 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
I'm pretty sure it depends on what type of parts we're talking about.

Antique sporting arms parts aren't regulated under ITAR, are they? Does the State Department (or another agency) have rules against it?
ITAR regulations state that 3 types of gun related things are regulated for export:

1) gun parts - important parts like a barrel or a sear, all the way down to relatively generic parts like a trigger guard screw. If they're part of a gun, they're regulated.

2) parts that attach to a gun - rings, bipods, slings, magazines, and so forth are all regulated.

3) things that enhance the performance or reliability of a gun - speed loaders, scopes, suppressors, and so on are all regulated.

So you can export a gun case or a decal without a license, but you need a license to export a rubber recoil pad. I didn't see any exceptions for antiques or relics in the ITAR regulations. I'm not an expert, but that's what I read on the State Department web site.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:29 AM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Talk about unbelievable business practices... "I'll send you the parts. If you want to keep them, send me the money."

What ever happened to him?
All throughout his seller history he is 100%. He listed a lot of what I wanted (BSA Martini parts). I am always asking for more parts and trying to see what he has coming up.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
ITAR regulations state that 3 types of gun related things are regulated for export:

1) gun parts - important parts like a barrel or a sear, all the way down to relatively generic parts like a trigger guard screw. If they're part of a gun, they're regulated.

2) parts that attach to a gun - rings, bipods, slings, magazines, and so forth are all regulated.

3) things that enhance the performance or reliability of a gun - speed loaders, scopes, suppressors, and so on are all regulated.

So you can export a gun case or a decal without a license, but you need a license to export a rubber recoil pad. I didn't see any exceptions for antiques or relics in the ITAR regulations. I'm not an expert, but that's what I read on the State Department web site.

Thanks for posting the info.

Last edited by Vee3; 10-03-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Asking for more. I'm not sure what that means. You might want to make sure you both are on the same page before doing anything else.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Qoute: I am always asking for more parts and trying to see what he has coming up.

I read this as he's asking what other parts may be available in the future. Not "I want you to send extra parts I didn't ask for for free." jmo
Old 10-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You didn't order the extra parts and he wants payment. He's mad and won't budge. You can write him off for future purchases so that part of the relationship is probably lost forever. I personally wouldn't want to keep the stuff but might consider selling it on ebay and giving the proceeds to him. Otherwise, ask yourself if $350 is worth writing off the aggravation and hassle. This will be a monkey on you back if not resolved.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't ask anymore than I did because I don't know what the OP is ordering or if he has an import/export license. But T_E is correct and it is better to be safe than sorry regarding this. 1917
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Talk about unbelievable business practices... "I'll send you the parts. If you want to keep them, send me the money."

What ever happened to him?
Actually, this was a 'broadside' to me. We had an amicable business relationship on eBay in the years past and he was one of the best sources for the BSA Martini parts I have ever had. He still has 100% eBay feedback as I do.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pay him and never use him again. The CODB (Cost of Doing Business) it is clean nobody gets in trouble and you have the parts to re-sell as needed. (but comply with all ITAR rules please!)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:08 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Perhaps you each had different expectations?
Could it be that when you inquired about his having 'certain parts' he considered that you actually wanted them if he did?
Sounds like talking to him would be better than talking to us. It has been said that most misunderstandings are because of a lack of communication.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:13 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
I'd report all this info to Ebay and see what they say. He's selling and your buying through them.
Yup. That. ^^^

Just to clarify - you're in the US, he's in the UK, or are YOU in the UK and he's elsewhere in Europe?

Old 10-03-2019, 04:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yup. That. ^^^

Just to clarify - you're in the US, he's in the UK, or are YOU in the UK and he's elsewhere in Europe?
I assume the buyer is in the US because of his us airforce logo next to his screen name.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yup. That. ^^^

Yes, he is in the UK and I am in the US.