XXII Ejectors - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
titegroop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
XXII Ejectors

My XXII won't eject the shell completely out of the bolt groove unless I jerk it back really hard. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
There is a fix.... the holder on the left side needs to be a tad longer. Someone here bought a few to try and found that making the point that touches the side of the case, a tad forward of where it is now, fixes the problem. Someone else said it needed to be stiffer. I am leaning towards the longer holder on the left..

Check in the Anschutz forum for this. This is an Anschutz after all.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 AM
titegroop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Gizzy. I scrolled thru the Anschutz forum but didn't find anything. Any idea where to get longer holders, or a gunsmith who does this kind of work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroop View Post
Thanks Gizzy. I scrolled thru the Anschutz forum but didn't find anything. Any idea where to get longer holders, or a gunsmith who does this kind of work?
I will go over there and do a search and see if I can find it. It was a few months ago. He bought extra holders, thats the extractor looking piece on the left side, he got them from Neil Jones gunsmithing. I think thats the name. Anyway, he bought the extras there to work on and made the modification to it himself. I doubt any gunsmith will be able to do this for you, unless he is an Anschutz gunsmith. I will do a search and pass on the link to that thread to you.

I think the parts came from Champions Choice. I have found where someone was working on it, but can;t find the thread where they fixed it.

Last edited by Gizzy; 03-06-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bolt xxii is only a couple of days old and I am learning to shoot it. As a SWAG, I would estimate 7 of 10 rounds eject OK with just a little flip of the bolt to the rear with the right index finger, 2 of ten eject to the left, and 1 of 10 ejects straight up, hits the scope and drops into the action. You'd think they could cure this at the factory, but I am just punching paper for fun and it's no biggie. So far it doesn't shoot as well as my 541-T HB, but the potential is there and I assume it will come around. After a few more days on the range I will take it to the smith and have the engagement and pull weight adjusted a bit.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroop View Post
My XXII won't eject the shell completely out of the bolt groove unless I jerk it back really hard. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.
I read where a guy on RFC with an Anschutz that had ejection problems sent it to Merkel the distributor for Anschutz and they took care of it for him.

Sounds like Weatherby should do the same for the poorly ejecting MKXXII?

Yes I also have this problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took my xxii bolt to the smith at the Gander Mtn. store in a nearby city. He recommended leaving the sear engagement alone for the time being, but reduced the pull weight from 2 lbs. 12.9 oz. to 2 lbs. 5 oz. He looked at the bolt and came up with his own approach to the ejection problem that involved reducing the radius of the claws -- I don't really understand it. Later, when his work load drops off a bit we will try his fix. If it works, or doesn't, I'll try to describe it accurately for the good of the order.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Later--I was foolish enough to say the ejection problem "wasn't a biggie". Well, that was the voice of inexperience speaking. It is a biggie, particularly when the case drops back into the action and gets stuck crosswise. It can take a minute or more to remove the case by prying gently with a knife point or a small awl. It's hard for me to comprehend how a company with Anschutz's reputation can allow this problem to go unsolved for so long. I'm going to call Weatherby about it, just to go on record with my complaint, and to see if they have a fix. If the biathlon shooters had this problem with their rifles, we would have learned a lot of Norwegian cusswords during the winter olympics, in high definition.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 skidoo View Post
It's hard for me to comprehend how a company with Anschutz's reputation can allow this problem to go unsolved for so long.

I read of this ejection issue before I purchased my mkxxii and was hoping anschutz would have the problem resolved in my gun…..WRONG!

Where is anschutz's reputation? Where is dieter anschutz's sense of responsibility?

I would also think that weatherby would have a clause in their contract with anschutz stating that the guns weatherby receives from anschutz should be free from engineering defects or anschutz would need to correct the problem at their expense to weatherbys satisfaction.

Can we not even pay for quality and get it these days?

What has it come down to? Cross your fingers for quality and hope to get it?

Presently in my gun when it seems the shell is ejecting good out the left side (should be right) it is actually ramming into the scope bottom and deflecting out the left I wonder how long my leupold scopes finish will take the beating before its bottom is marred.

Anschutz and Weatherby need to resolve this issue for its customers not the other way around.

If it is the ejector or retainer part or parts that need rework as some on RFC have stated then Anschutz or Weatherby can at least send us the correct shape parts.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like you, NIB, I am beginning to get a little ticked about this whole Weatherby/Anschutz/ejection deal. I tried all day to get somebody in service at Weatherby -- no luck, but finally talked to an engineer. His recommendation was to send the rifle in for service, which I suppose I will have to do. He had no idea how they would fix it. Then I talked to someone at Champion who said weak ejection was common in 64s and I should just work the bolt harder. Big help. If I could, I'd get rid of the **** thing and shop around for an old Winchester. Why me, Lord, why me?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're absolutely right, NIB. Weatherby and Anschutz should take the initiative to resolve the ejection issue for their customers and not the other way around. It you look at the posts in this thread, and elsewhere, it appears that the customers are doing all the work, while the businesses involved are waiting for the problem to go away. They should realize that the continuing discussion of weak ejection, on this site and others, will eventually affect sales! Weatherby and Anschutz should issue a statement acknowledging the defect and stating what they will do about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 skidoo I am beyond ticked but not further toward the anger side I am what you would call "NUMB" over what manufacturers do to the people who keep them in business.

Weatherby does have a very good warranty and I will see what I can do about exercising it but not right now or I could say goodbye to the mkxxii for around two months of good shooting.

I will "go off" however if all I am told by them when I seek service is the dreaded pull the bolt back faster baloney.

I like the engineer telling you he didn't know how they would fix it. They have seen and heard of this ejection issue many many times and we deserve a better answer than one like that!

They better "LEARN" how to fix this issue and in short time!

Lets put it this way him telling you he doesn't know what to do with it is like saying neither does Anschutz sorry but thats a CROCK.

In todays age with instant overseas conferencing and e-mail and no resolution to this ejection issue, someone has to have a live brain somewhere they can't all be brain dead!

No more "COVER UPS" over "KNOWN ISSUES" pleaseeee!...................... RESOLVE THIS POOR EJECTION ISSUE NOW!

Last edited by NIB; 04-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm with you, pal -- I hate to send the gun off with nothing to replace it, but to be fair, I must admit I misquoted the engineer. He didn't say he had no idea how they would fix it, not exactly. He just didn't tell me how they would fix it. Whether he knew what the service people would do or not is anybody's guess. If I were running W/by I would: 1) Devise a fix, 2) Set up a program to repair every single XXII with the problem, no matter how long it takes, 3) Post a statement on all the rimfire, varminting, target shooting, etc. sites like this one, plus all the dealers, explaining the problem and the solution, so the word will get around. In the meantime, let's give 'em a chance and see what they can do.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got thru to W/by today. Send it in, they said, and they will look at the ejection and accuracy problems. Will take a month. Guaranteed fix? No. I called the retailer's corp. office and asked for a refund. No answer yet on that. If I get the refund I will buy something else, but what? If no refund, I'm trapped. I'll have to send the gun to W/by and hope for the best. Like NIB, I'm just numb from dealing with this. If I get out from under, how about a T-Bolt varmint/target? Or Savage? Or Ruger 77/22? Or CZ? Suggestions? I just wanna get a decent .22 rifle and get on with my life. So much for German engineering. Pfui!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Forget about parts from Niel Johnson. He is out of business.
Pete