Leave magazines full or empty thread. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Leave magazines full or empty thread.

Was searching for the thread that talked about having ammo in magazines over a long period of time or leaving them empty. From what I remember the majority of the posts said that they left their magazines full over a long period of time.

However a recent conversation with an old timer has put some doubt in my mind. Couldn't find the thread. Please help.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:57 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=285273 ?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
welcome,

this will be discussed when guns are just museum pieces....

but fwiw, iirc, someone had a GI 1911 mag loaded since WWII and ran the rounds in it through their 1911 and didn't have any issues.

to me, this is all up to you and others to do what they want.

Also, im surprised all the time when people hope to find answers to various questions when chances are, it will be "he said, she said".

So what i would do is to do my own testing. Im sure you have more than 1 mag and more than 1 box of ammo? I would just do some testing and see how it goes for you and your gun and ammo. Load up 1 mag and then maybe put it in a ziplock or tag it with the loaded date. maybe do 2 or more mags just to verify what 1 mag gives you is real and not just by chance. Then wait 1, 2 or 3 or more years and give a mag a go and see what happens. But i would also make note if the ammo loaded worked with the platform to begin with and make note of any mods to the platform if any at that time or later on. I would document all/any changes too just so if anything goes wrong the blame could go to the correct part, not just the mag.

And if you are worried about your mag, then consdier you could probably find a replacement mag spring too.

Knowing what i know about springs, spring rates and metals and so forth, i would say there should not be any issue as long as the spring isnt pushed past its elastic limits. If materials science isnt know to you , google for it and the strength of materials. Im sure you can find some info on it and maybe the cliff notes or condensed version. And there is the assumption that the spring is made properly and you dont get a dud/odd one.

If you dont believe in science and testing and materials, then you will have to find your own way on this.

But thats my take on it.

good luck

Last edited by bangbang; 03-02-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2021, 01:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just rotate mags every few months or so. I keep a few "defensive" mags loaded at all times. But every 3-4 months, I rotate them into the active rotation and move active mags into a storage mode.

Here's a good write-up...
https://prepperswill.com/can-you-sto...final-verdict/
Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
Knowing what i know about springs, spring rates and metals and so forth, i would say there should not be any issue as long as the spring isnt pushed past its elastic limits. If materials science isnt know to you , google for it and the strength of materials. Im sure you can find some info on it and maybe the cliff notes or condensed version. And there is the assumption that the spring is made properly and you dont get a dud/odd one.
One suggestion of my friend was not to completely fill a magazine. Put 9 in a 10 round magazine, etc. And leave them empty if not using them for a long period of time. Currently in my rotation that might be 3-4 months or more.

The experiment that you suggested would still be such a small sample size that I don't think it would be conclusive.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
Just rotate mags every few months or so. I keep a few "defensive" mags loaded at all times. But every 3-4 months, I rotate them into the active rotation and move active mags into a storage mode.

Here's a good write-up...
https://prepperswill.com/can-you-sto...final-verdict/
+1 good article. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since a loaded mag here is regarded by state law as a loaded weapon when in the car, I keep mine empty except at the range.

Saves me having to pick a side...

Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At least one spring manufacturer claims that the normal operating range for compression springs is 20%-80% of the uncompressed length. Most magazines already compress more than 20% when empty, as a spring preload condition.

I would think downloading a mag for storage/infrequent use so that the spring is no more than 80% compressed is a good idea. Beyond that, it would seem the spring has a good chance of weakening a little over time. But for some new mags that are difficult to load fully, that can be a desirable thing.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:30 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
One suggestion of my friend was not to completely fill a magazine. Put 9 in a 10 round magazine, etc. And leave them empty if not using them for a long period of time. Currently in my rotation that might be 3-4 months or more.

The experiment that you suggested would still be such a small sample size that I don't think it would be conclusive.
true, but right now all you have are ?????

So even with a small sample and so forth, isnt that is what stats all about? population and smaller sample size ?

you have the question, you have the stuff to do the test if you want. Will you?
Old 03-02-2021, 03:36 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Since a loaded mag here is regarded by state law as a loaded weapon when in the car,
Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no scientific evidence one way or the other. I do have 90 year old semi auto pistols that I leave their magazines loaded now for over 50 years and never had one fail to feed. Maybe I am just lucky??? Quien sabe quimosabe!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Commish
US Marines Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What he said
Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Casual and range shooters.. leave them empty till I get ready to use them.
Self Defense.. always loaded up.. with spares.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Since a loaded mag here is regarded by state law as a loaded weapon when in the car, I keep mine empty except at the range.

Saves me having to pick a side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Agreed !!

Last edited by Purple Bikerr; 03-02-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I used to keep all my magazines loaded. It seemed a simple way to save space, and time at the range. Now once they are empty i leave them that way, Seems a simple way to conserve ammunition. As for the springs, thats their job. They do it till they dont. Something Ive never had happen.