SA Rimfire "Western look revolvers" on a budget - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:55 PM
MTHall720

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA Rimfire "Western look revolvers" on a budget

The only western style SA I have owned has been the Ruger Super Single Six, but now I am trying to get an idea for a more budget friendly one, which will do well with only occasional usage.

So far the only things I have heard of are Cimarron and Uberti but no clue what those would typically go for.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 PM
mythotto
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Have you looked at the Heritage Rough Rider's? They are made in the US and getting a bit of a following. They are very affordable - and well made. They are cheaper than Ruger, Colt, and Uberti. I own two of them and like them.
Ken
Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 PM
MTHall720

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythotto View Post
Have you looked at the Heritage Rough Rider's? They are made in the US and getting a bit of a following. They are very affordable - and well made. They are cheaper than Ruger, Colt, and Uberti. I own two of them and like them.
Ken
Thanks very much Ken. I am not familiar with these. I will definitely look into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 PM
mythotto

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
pic of my Johny boy - New under 160.00 with a mag cylinder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2874.jpg (549.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:29 PM
mythotto

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great MT - They are nice Western Revolver's!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
dont forget..........

the EEA bounty hunter full size SA .22/.22 magnum, good big heavy clone of the colt, has a transfer bar like new rugers so you can carry all holes loaded. I owned an 8 shot version for a few years, but traded it off. excellent revolver BUT I just didn't like single action shooting. guess I am lazy, give me a semi auto any time. the EEA bounty hunter is full size, same as a .45 colt, and very heavy.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:20 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
the EEA bounty hunter full size SA .22/.22 magnum, good big heavy clone of the colt, has a transfer bar like new rugers so you can carry all holes loaded. I owned an 8 shot version for a few years, but traded it off. excellent revolver BUT I just didn't like single action shooting. guess I am lazy, give me a semi auto any time. the EEA bounty hunter is full size, same as a .45 colt, and very heavy.
I just bought one of these in the nickle plated 8 shot 7-1/2" version and it surprised me how accurate it is! It is just as heavy as the real .45 Colt SAA which I think is on purpose as Cowboy action shooters can use it to practice more cheaply. It is well made in Germany. Cost me $280 with both 22LR and 22 MAG cylinders
Old 07-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Heritage Rough Rider

The basic six shot, 22 lr version goes for about $125, $100 at Academy on Black Friday every year. The version with both 22 lr and 22 mag cylinders goes for about $160-$170, again both six shooters. They make 4" and 6.5" barreled versions, I like the 4" better, feels more balanced in my hand.

They also make a nine shot version, with one or both cylinders. These are in the $240 range. They make a small birdshead model too, and 9 inch barrel gun too.

They are CHEAP SA shooters. Good kit guns or "walking in the woods" guns. Very basic sights, NOT target pistols, unless your regular targets are refridgerators at 100 yards. Great little plinkers, good for kids too, simple operation requiring cocking prior to each shot.

I have two of them; a 4" set up with the nine shot 22 lr cylinder, and a 6.5 inch six shot set up as 22 magnum, so longer barrel can better use the full potential of the mag round.

I like them, great bang for the buck value.

Ferox34
Old 07-29-2018, 12:09 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a pic of my EAA Bounty hunter just in case you want to see what they look like:

Old 07-29-2018, 02:24 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single action western revolver

My .22 single action is an Iver Johnson imported Uberti made in 1975. Blued barrel and cylinder, color case hardened frame, brass grip frame, one piece wooden grip. It has a ramp front sight with red insert and an adjustable rear sight. It is well made as to fit and finish and is reasonable accurate. I also have a Uberti Cattle man in .357. Based on my experience with these two, I would recommend you try one and see for your self. That goes for other brands as well. Dave
Old 07-29-2018, 04:00 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a Heritage .22 (LR-only) for $110 for the exclusive purpose of shooting rat shot at Copperheads (the only poisonous snake in our part of VA). CCI Rat Shot did poorly in my Mk-II: I expected it not to cycle, but even hand-cycling chopped off the ends of the plastic housing on the rounds. Very disconcerting at 11 PM holding up a piece of plywood with a flashlight and dealing with a jam and a very ****ed off Copperhead.

My wife uses it occasionally to inspire our horse to come in when called. Good since the casings don't pollute the pasture...

Tried it out at a paper target (against my grain) with CCI MiniMags at about 25' or so. Wasn't impressed with the accuracy and the sights aren't adjustable.

I must say the fit, function and quality was impressive.

Great for my intended purpose; I have other .22 pistols to serve our other desires and needs, particularly our Single Six Convertible.

Still prefer a semi-auto, though - for everything other than rat-shot.

Last edited by RJF22553; 07-29-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Federal rat shot

is much more gooder than CCI. It is the old style crimped case. You can get it at Academy on occasion. It is much cheaper than the CCI blue plastic cup stuff too.

You can get a box of 50 Federals for less than a box of 20 CCI.

Should work better in a revolver too.

Ferox34
Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking the only other person i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
I just bought one of these in the nickle plated 8 shot 7-1/2" version and it surprised me how accurate it is! It is just as heavy as the real .45 Colt SAA which I think is on purpose as Cowboy action shooters can use it to practice more cheaply. It is well made in Germany. Cost me $280 with both 22LR and 22 MAG cylinders
to own the EAA . mine was accurate, it was a 4.75" blue. it WAS HEAVY !
Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
to own the EAA . mine was accurate, it was a 4.75" blue. it WAS HEAVY !
I suspect yours was better balanced with the shorter barrel. However, I like the weight for target shooting as it allows me a steadier two hand hold.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:15 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
is much more gooder than CCI. It is the old style crimped case. You can get it at Academy on occasion. It is much cheaper than the CCI blue plastic cup stuff too.

You can get a box of 50 Federals for less than a box of 20 CCI.

Should work better in a revolver too.

Ferox34
Ferox, thank you! Have a very old box of 50 HighPoint crimped rat/bird shot; loaded up ten in a Bersa semi-auto mag I keep in the barn area. No Academy stores anywhere near here in Central VA, but I now know what to look for on-line.

Given my (thankfully) low rate of usage, most of it will probably go to my heir...

Thanks again!