Is the Mark XXII as good as an Anschutz 1416? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
R H Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the Mark XXII as good as an Anschutz 1416?

Not trying to start a fight here.I own a 1416 and love it.I've had it nearly 10 years and never had a problem.It is also extremly accurate.

I've just learned of the Weatherby XXII with the match 64 barreled action.It would seem to be the best of both worlds with beautiful wood and a proven barrel and action,yet the more reviews I read and research I do, the less impressed I become.

I hear of only mediocre accuracy and ejection problems.Is there any particular problem with the rifle that can be easily fixed like changing out action screws or making sure the barrel is free floated? Do they all have problems ejecting unfired rounds? Did Anschutz only sell their less desirable barreled actions to Weatherby?

I would love to own one of these beautiful rifles but the reviews I have read greatly discourage me.Does anyone own one that functions perfectly with exceptional accuracy? Someone please tell me the truth about these rifles.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
This is my experience only. Take it for what it's worth.

Purchased a NIB Weatherby Mark XXII off the shelf on a whim because I fell in love with the stock. Beautiful wood, feels perfect, fits me perfect, trigger is perfect, Looks perfect. Everything is perfect.... except....

Accuracy- Not so perfect. Sanded the barrel channel, set the trigger as low as possible and still is outshot by all but one of my rimfires... and quite a few of them are set up with peep sights.

Ejection- Normal 64 action ejection problems from what I've read. Fixed that, and it's not a problem anymore.

To give you an idea of how I feel about the rifle as it is now... It's in the back of my safe without a scope on it. It will stay there until I feel like messing with it again. Which may be never. Purchased a CZ American 452 which shoots rings around the Mark XXII and functions perfectly with no mods to the extractors. Did adjust the trigger, that's all. For half the price I have a gun that does what the higher priced gun should have done out of the box.

To me, it's pretty, that's all.

My experience only. Others on here have had better luck with theirs so don't let my experience be the only guidance you go by. If you really want one, pm me as I know where one is that needs a home more than I need it.

Kenny

Last edited by kseatm; 03-10-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
My feelings are similar to kseatm's although mine sits at the front of my safe with one of my best scopes on it. I bought mine 2nd hand from Guns America but it may never have been fired other than the test target. I think all of my CZ 452's shoot slightly better with several types of ammo but have not tried RWS yet due to the weather. Even so, I treasure it as it is beautiful, well made, has a fantastic trigger, short bolt throw and kind of a working piece of art. If I were trying to win shooting competitions with it I would probably not be thrilled but I am glad I was lucky enough to get one and likely will keep it till I can't shoot any more.
9 fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
R H Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.
I guess I'm trying to find out if Weatherby is doing something or maby lacking something that is causing the less than stellar accuracy.

Is it maby that we just hear about the problem guns more?

I don't know but my Anschutz 1416 will shoot 1/4" and sometimes better 5 shot groups at 50 yards from the bench with my Leupold VX2- 4X12 AO. I do have some experience as a competition shooter but it would seem that the Weatherby should shoot very close to that unless I just happen to have an excellent example gun.Don't know if it matters but my 1416 is close to 10 years old.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I've got a Nitrex TR2 3x15x40 (Weaver Super Slam, ie. really good scope), have a reasonably steady hand, but I can guarantee you that my XXii will not shoot 1/4" groups, maybe with the best RWS or Lapua ammo, but again, I have an American, Ultra Lux, FS that will outshoot it. Not enough time with the new Lux to tell if it too will do the job.
9 fingers
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I almost bought one prior to purchasing my Sako Quad. The test target couldn't have been any larger that 1/4"- .3" inch if that means anything.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is Weatherby getting sent anything different than one can get straight from Anschutz? I know your not exactly asking this I'm just saying it. Maybe your lucky your 1416 ejects good and I don't think 10 years has too much to do with it. From what I have been reading both the 64 and 54 action anschutz's have had this problem for a while not just recently. As you may know both Anschutz and Weatherby come with test targets. Point being the Weatherby should be able to closely match this target with RWS R-50 the same ammo used for both the Anschutz 1416 and the Weatherby MKXXII 50 Meter German shot test targets.
I'm not making any excuse for any gun maker especially gun makers who sell their guns for a respectable amount of money and who go out of their way to tell the consumers just how good their guns are made and that their guns are of the highest quality. And then in the case of Anschutz ship guns that do not eject properly. I haven't yet tried to see what the best grouping is that my MKXXII will do at 50yrd. But I am going to do so when the weather warms up. I will be using a 9x scope when I do the shoot and hopefully she'll shoot very, very close to the test target. I will post results when I get them. P.S. Great trigger on the Wby/Ann it's what sold me on the gun. And the fact that it cost less than what I would have had to pay for a 1416. Personally I feel that this cost difference has nothing to do with any difference in quality between a MKXXII and a 1416 rather I believe it to be due to Weatherby ordering thousands of 64 actions at an agreed upon price probably before 2007 when the MKXXII first came out, while after this huge purchase the German Euro continued to climb.

Last edited by NIB; 03-11-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM
sharpshooter147
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree with all the above, I have experianced the same issues also. But I will
add one more to it. After getting the rifle home and taking it outside in the sunlight
I noticed dust particles dryed in the clearcoat finish. Another spot I missed was a
a tiny gouge in the wood under the pistol grip of the stock, the gouge was filled
in with clearcoat to cover it up. Would I buy the rifle again, no way. Accuracy, My
Remington 541T HB can out shoot it.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
spurs101

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm one who has had great experience ..including the accuracy. Glad I have one..bought when they first came out.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:10 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R H Clark View Post
Someone please tell me the truth about these rifles.
I've owned one for about a year. Nothing but trouble from the start. It wouldn't eject unfired cartridges. Sent it to the factory and was told they didn't have a problem with certain ammo and I'd need to find the kind that worked the best. Got the gun back, tried several brands. They all stuck. Sent the gun back to the factory and they did a sport ream job on the chamber. Now, unfired cartridges no longer stuck, so at least I felt it was safe for the range. At 60 yards, a 4 inch circle was as good as it shot. At first I thought it was me until I ran some rounds thorough my Kimber 22 Classic and was shooting 1/2 inch groups. I've since read that several hundred rounds need to be fired through the Weatherby Mark II before it can even be sighted in. I haven't done that yet. One thing I'd never do again is buy one brand new. I'd only buy one that I could shoot and check for accuracy and ejection issues before I laid my money down. It's a pretty gun, and the craftsmanship is of high quality, but that's about the only thing positive I can say for it at this point. It may become a great shooter in time.

Last edited by johnbe; 07-17-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 AM
MuskyJohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
love mine!

Jeez,got mine in 09 and absolutely love it, fits good, shoots straight,no problems.Would like one in 17 HMR!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 AM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you got a good one. I probably wouldn't gamble on another one in any caliber, but maybe I just got a lemon and that's turned me off. To assume a new Weatherby Mk II is going to be a shooter based on a quality appearance, craftsmanship, and the Weatherby name could be a lesson I wouldn't want to repeat.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Paper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought one 3 years ago and I put it on par with my CZ 453 Varmint.. I use my XXII with a 2-7x32 Nikon as my CMP .22 Rimfire Sporter match rifle.. I bumped the trigger weight up to 3# per CMP rules, and the rifle's more accurate than I am..

And with this rifle, I've won every CMP match I've entered.. Started shooting matches last fall and I've won all of them in the optics class.. I'm sure I've just screwed that up, since I have a match on this Sunday.. On the other hand, I was going to use my Savage/Anschutz Weatherby copy in this match, anyway..

Spur101,
I don't know if you're interested, but the matches I shoot at are in Beloit. A friend of mine is driving over from Milwaukee for the match, too.. Just thought I'd throw it out there..

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...nation=RIMFIRE

Matches are $15 for non-club members, and everyone's welcome!! And, unlike what's on the website, the match is held indoors at 50' on reduced targets.. Nobody cares if it rains..

Last edited by Paper; 10-18-2011 at 03:42 PM.