XXII Ejectors - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Hired Gun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Who is selling the blems? I'm a dealer and have never seen them offered. Apparently the 17HMR's don't have the ejection problem as bad.

My personal rifle sends them flying 10 feet if I pull it back far enough to get it to eject. Usually I just slide it back and grab the brass by the end of it with my finger and tip it out and put them back in the box. Saves a lot of time picking up.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Cast
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ejector issue RESOLVED

Guys, I also have a bought-new XXII bolt action 22lr that shot badly and failed to eject the spent rounds. It went back via the local authorized shop the first time, and it came back shooting tight but still didn't eject properly. This time I spoke with Weatherby myself and sent it back myself for accuracy and ejection problems. This time it came back ejecting properly and is now due for a trip to the range to check it for accuracy.

Send it back several times if that is what it takes to get it fixed.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cast,
I'm glad to hear Weatherby did the right thing. I have been putting mine off seeing if ejection gets any better with wear. I'll probably call them in the not to distant future if things do not get any better.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
adarakjian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did the ejection problems develop over time or was it obvious from the beginning? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For me and I think everyone else will say right from the start.

If I understand correct the cartridge extractor right side of bolt and the cartridge retainer left side of bolt stick some and cause poor ejection. Sounds like this makes sense because when the bolt is pulled back faster sometimes the case will eject ok. I'm thinking the faster movement reduces friction in the ejector/retainer. But these 64 Action Anschutz's should be able to eject casings at any bolt speed like any normal gun does.

Just take some Match Chamber fired emptys along to test gun before you buy or get a good return/exchange policy. Sad to say but what's a person supposed to do other wise?

I believe not all come this way just be aware there's a chance of it happening.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarakjian View Post
Did the ejection problems develop over time or was it obvious from the beginning? Any input would be appreciated.
So if Weatherby has a fix for this, they should make their design change then send the new parts out to all XXII owners. My XXII has a problem involving the chamber. Mine won't extract or unload certain live brass, as when unloading the gun. Very ammo picky. Some will stick in the chamber. Sent it to Weatherby. They said it's a match grade action, and I should expect some brands to stick. No action taken. Recieved the gun back unreworked. I'm dissatisfied that this should be considered acceptable for a rifle that is being promoted as a hunting rifle.

Last edited by johnbe; 01-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello johnbe, Sounds like yours ejects good and yours ejects live RWS Subs fine. You do not have anything wrong with your rifle. Anschutz test fires with RWS-R50 and the driving band on these is very similar to RWS Subs I just looked at R-50 compared to RWS Subs and the drive band looks slightly shorter on the R-50.
Are you new to these Match Chambers? I am and like you I'm having to look for ammo that will fit the chamber better. I chambered Blazer at the range and did not try to eject a live round but I bet I would of had trouble because these chambered HARD, these are sized more for the sporting chamber.

It's not so much Weatherby selling these as hunting rifles because Anschutz has been doing this for many, many years. And the RWS Subsonic "is" a hunting round right? Have you tried Federals? CCI says to give these a try the drive band must be sized different.
Check out the .22 Rimfire Specifications of Pacific Tool and Die to see where the Anschutz stands, http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/reamers2.htm

These hunting rifles are built the way they are to be more accurate. How about the trigger? The trigger on mine is great. And I am learning to "trust" this rifle to put the bullet where I aim every time I shoot....day by day the "Trust" grows!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
bchannell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
93% (35)
I just want to say one thing about the "return" of a firearm. There is no federal law that I'm aware of that prohibits the return for cash, or other remuneration, of any firearm.

If this were true, then trading guns would be out of the question, and it's done every day lots of times.

If nothing else, he could buy your gun from you for the purchase price, there's certainly no law forbidding a dealer from acquiring guns. I mean, that's how they get them to sell.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
FIXED ejection problem on Anschutz 1416/ Weatherby XXII type rifles.....

My rifle was kicking more than 5 out of 10 empty wolf cases to the left or hitting the scope, no matter if I worked the bolt quickly or very slowly.... and the same with ELEY... the RWS was ok, but 1 or 2 out of 10 would fail to leave the breeched receiver...

Now, I have zero ejection failures for more than 200 + rounds....

I have tried it with ELEY, RWS, and WOLF, along with the Federal Automatch and CCI standard velocity...

I am not a vendor, so I don't know if this will work or not.....

I can perform a service on your Bolt for $50 including return shipping....

If you send me the front half of your bolt, I will catalog it when it arrives and note the owner and address to it before beginning work to ensure that you receive your parts in return...

I do not modify the bolt half, only the shell retainer and extractor. I will fully clean and lube the bolt half before returning it.

This is a modification of your stock parts, and it seems to work wonderfully on a gun that was exhibiting some poor ejection with certain ammo.... and even on the best, there was not a very positive ejection to the right....

I will not accept any liability or responsibility for any injuries or damage that may be blamed on me, the last person who touched your parts....

I am fixing the poor ejection issues on the gun, I am not messing with headspace, or any safety related part of the gun. You are a responsible person with enough money to buy an Anschutz/weatherby, which means I assume and hope that you have the capacity and mind to put your bolt back on and test the gun.

so if you are a sue happy individual, you might as well forget it....

I am a hobbyist, not a gunsmith.

Everyone gets so mad about something so simple to fix, it just takes some patience and time and detail work to make this right.... I can't blame them, an expensive gun should work well in all ways, from accuracy to feeding and ejecting properly.

It seems that this would be a much more welcome thing than hours on the phone with Weatherby or Anschutz and spending $100 on shipping back and forth to possibly be dissapointed with the end result.

Last edited by FXTINTX; 01-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTINTX View Post
Everyone gets so mad about something so simple to fix, it just takes some patience and time and detail work to make this right....

It seems that this would be a much more welcome thing than hours on the phone with Weatherby or Anschutz and spending $100 on shipping back and forth to possibly be dissapointed with the end result.
It's not so much that people are mad about any of the several simple remedies that have been posted on this subject, it is more about the frustration that $800+ rifles fail to do something so simple as properly ejecting spent brass. Simple fixes that are done by you or me modifying our new rifles are (or SHOULD be) even more simple for Anschutz to remedy. They are able to engineer some of the worlds finest firearms and the fact that they have a notorious functional failure is beyond comprehension for a lot of owners. The engineers at Anschutz could fix this permanently with very little effort.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well said. Anschutz is dead wrong for for shipping many faulty ejectors to retailers.

Every single Weatherby/Anschutz, Anschutz is test fired five times. Doesn't the tester notice ejection problems?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
It's not so much that people are mad about any of the several simple remedies that have been posted on this subject, it is more about the frustration that $800+ rifles fail to do something so simple as properly ejecting spent brass. Simple fixes that are done by you or me modifying our new rifles are (or SHOULD be) even more simple for Anschutz to remedy. They are able to engineer some of the worlds finest firearms and the fact that they have a notorious functional failure is beyond comprehension for a lot of owners. The engineers at Anschutz could fix this permanently with very little effort.

You are absolutely right. I agree 110%!

I love how I can cut a single hole pattern with this rifle, until I went to eject the spent case and it barely falls out of the receiver when ejected with speed....

I just don't want people to get frustrated and move away from Anschutz and Weatherby products before trying a simple fix. I don't want people to think that this problem is impossible to fix and sell their rifles or trade for something else...

Anschutz needs to ensure that their rifles function with all forms of commonly available ammunition that is available stateside and in other countries.

I guess no one has ever YELLED loud enough to get their attention.... or their ears are never opened...

I believe they have their bolt and headspacing and guide design down pat.... maybe they need to make sure that these guns eject as reliably as they shoot one hole groups.

Maybe it is a structured environment where questioning an engineer at Anschutz is frowned upon by their internal corporate structure. Everyone is afraid to say anything negative for fear of being fired or blackballed. If someone went and said, "Johann, we have a problem with ejecting other brands of ammunition than the RWS that we test with. This is a concern of many users of Anschutz owners, and if we don't fix the problem, we will lose many older users and new customers to boot" that might make a change.

So they continue to see new fine clothing on the emperor when he is in fact, fully naked......
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Cast

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I had the exact same issue plus accuracy issues with my XXII. Took it local, they sent it to Wby, it came back shooting straight but still not ejecting. This time I sent it to Wby and called them regular for status. They sent it back with a 'no trouble found' resolution (or an A799 in USN airdale speak), but that rascal will now fling a round across the room with a slooow pull on the bolt. Send it to them, they will fix it.