Slabside MK II - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 AM
welderguy652
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slabside MK II

A while back I bought a 10" MK II and a Sig red dot sight. Ended up putting a Nikon 2x on instead. Wicked accurate rig but really heavy. I've whacked a couple of groundhogs with it, but you almost need a gunbearer. Red dot in limbo. Later I bought a slabside (US Shooting Team edition) that the previous owner had fired, I brought it home, oiled it up good and put it in the safe. Fast forward to yesterday. While crusing the classifieds I see a slabside with a red dot for sale. I thinks to myself I should do that. Test fired it tonight on a 50 ft indoor range, and it too is wicked accurate. I shot a 10 round group that I could almost cover with a quarter. And the best part, is that it's light enough to shoot offhand. Almost, anyway, who took my dumbell? I need to work out.
You all have a good Thanksgiving & be thankful for our Troops wherever they are.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Bigfoot62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I have two Mk II "Slabside" pistols. (both are the ss competition target model)
One has a Nikon Monarch 2X and the other wears a Millett SP1 red dot. Both are very accurate. At the distance you were shooting, (50ft) I can't really tell any difference. If you stretch it on out, though, the magnified scope does a better job. The size of the red dot just gets too large.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
chance
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Am new at shooting and just got a MK II 22/45 6 7/8 blu slabside a couple of weeks ago. The gun is surprisingly accurate even in my hands and have been reading about red dots and scopes.

For general recreational shooting why would I choose one over the other? Most of my shooting is done at 5 and 10 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 PM
welderguy652

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think at those kind of distances the stock open sights should serve you well. I scoped my 10" for groundhog whacking up to about 60 yards or so. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this slab sided red dot rig yet. I've got a 5 1/2 stainless bull that I shoot a ton, that has been upgraded with Williams Fire Sights, which is about what the target slabside comes with stock. If your new to shooting I'd gain some open sight experience first. A red dot or scope shows every wobble and breath and may be distracting.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
How do you like the rear firesight?

I have the hi viz front sight on my hunter and am thinking of adding a firesight on the rear.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
flbache3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a slab-sided MK2 ruger pistol and love that thing. I just need to put some sort of optic on it so I can wring out as much accuracy as possible. I know it is capable of better accuracy than what I am capable.

flbache
Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 PM
chance
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy652 View Post
I think at those kind of distances the stock open sights should serve you well. I scoped my 10" for groundhog whacking up to about 60 yards or so. .
Am looking to shoot out a bit further but can't see where the rds are impacting much over 15 yds. Would be nice to be able to both aim and see the hits . Like I said I am new at this and my "groups" are in the six inch range not including a few strays. Shooting a pistol w/scope looks like a good way to increase the fun coeficient.

Gun is drilled and tapped for a mount so the mechanics would seem straight forward but the choice of available scopes/red dots is a bit overwhelming.

Is the low end equipment suitable for a novice?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 PM
recumbent

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have 3 of the Tasco 1x42 red/green dot sights sold at Walmart for $39.98

They work well for me. I like the 42mm better than the 30mm red dots because you have a larger field of view.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 PM
welderguy652

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rear Firesight & cheap red dots

I would not willingly part company with my firesights. They were well worth the money as far as I'm concerned. I have them on 2 MKII's. One is a stainless 5 1/2 bull, and the other is a blue 6 7/8 bull. I considered putting the red dot on the 6 7/8 bull, but that pistol is pretty heavy as is, so I stuck it on the slabside. I need a 4" bull to round out my collection, but I never come across one when I have 2 nickles of gun money to rub together.

As far as red dots the only one I have is this Sig. I have no idea who makes it for them. It's a 1" model, 11 degrees of brightness and fairly compact. It was around 100 bucks. 20 years ago I had an early Tasco on a Super Blackhawk that I whacked a deer with. It was pretty bulky and hard on batteries as I recall. I traded it off for something else. There are certainly enough different models out there to make it tough to choose.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 PM
welderguy652

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chance-seeing your hits

Keep in mind that most pistol scopes are low magnification. My Nikon is a 2X. Anything much more than that and you probably will have difficulty shooting it off hand. I'm not opposed to using a rest if it's practical particularly in a hunting situation where humane shot placement is key. I shoot a lot of paper (one handed), and do a lot of plinking too.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Bigfoot62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Am looking to shoot out a bit further but can't see where the rds are impacting much over 15 yds. Would be nice to be able to both aim and see the hits .
Ain't gonna happen with most red dots. Almost all of them are NOT magnified. That pretty much means a pistol scope.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 PM
recumbent

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Or take a spotting scope to the range with you.