Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Hanz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you ID these .22s?

A friend of mine inherited this from his late father and he's considering selling it. He's like to know what it is and its approximate value. I think it's a .22LR and the bore looked very good. I don't think the forend matches the original buttstock. The checkering just didn't look the same.

And since where looking at photos I'll toss out this training .22 he's also looking to move. I can't say I remember if it's a repeater or a single shot. I have no idea what it is or its worth:

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Hanz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's what was stamped on what I presume to be a Military Trainer:

Thanks,

Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
BigLoop22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hanz,

I would hazard a guess that under that rear sight is piece of the puzzle:

It appears to be a "Stevens Favorite", or a "Savage Favorite". The "&T. CO." is part of the company name, like: "STEVENS MACHINE & TOOL COMPANY". ...or "Bicycle & Tool Company". The Stevens' came in a few calibers, like .22LR, .25 Rimfire, and .32 Rimfire.

Value is hard for me to say. I am not terribly familiar with these kinds of rifles, but will say, maybe, at least a few hundred bucks.

Someone else can give your better answers.

BigLoop22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
welderguy652
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Top One

I'd have to agree the top one is a Stevens. You don't often see one with checkering or in that good a shape. They made a Bazillion of them, but many were barn guns and much abused. In my opinion you might be shocked at what it would bring at auction if it is a .22. If it's a 25 or 32 rimfire not so much as the ammo is basically non-existant. Some Stevens also have markings on the top tang, under the tang sight.
Check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/c-thunderer/STEVENSRIFLES.html
Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 AM
sgt. george
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bolt action "trainer" in the other set of photos has a bolt reminiscent of either a Winchester/Hotchkiss or M71/84 Mauser rifle. If it is designed after either of the two above rifles, it would date from either the late 1880's or early 1890's, when those rifle were at the peak of their popularity and use. I have never seen a rifle like that before, so I would not even venture to estimate a value to you. As with a majority of rifles chambered in .22, their value is not that of their centerfire counterparts

Last edited by sgt. george; 11-21-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "military" rifle is a .22 single shot rifle called the little buffalo. It was made in France as a commercial version of the Lebel service rifle.

If you consider selling it, please contact me.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Spartan
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neat Label variant you got there.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
RedFeather

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looks more like a 44 model Stevens

Nice looking gun. How is the bore? If a .22 long rifle is a loose fit you may have a .25 rimfire of some kind. 44's are worth much more than the Favorite models, especially with that nice tang sight.