It doesn't match the barrel contour, but here's a steel thread protector:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/thread-protector-p-75.html

Stryker60
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Doc Nonverbal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for posting that - I may end up picking up a couple of those.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 AM
KAZ
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Charlie,that bead blast on #30 looks great! Your grips also not only have some nice grain,but appear to have a small amount of non slip applied.
Doc and Stryker, I have one of those TI P22 thread protectors and unless you add some form of spacer they leave way to much of the barrel threads/crown hanging out in the wind. I also have the thread protector from Yankee Hill Machine for the SIG Mosquito and it almost does the job. Problem is they don't seem to sell just the thread protector without the adapter. Regards
Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Doc Nonverbal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
Doc and Stryker, I have one of those TI P22 thread protectors and unless you add some form of spacer they leave way to much of the barrel threads/crown hanging out in the wind. I also have the thread protector from Yankee Hill Machine for the SIG Mosquito and it almost does the job. Problem is they don't seem to sell just the thread protector without the adapter. Regards
Good to know - thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
shotwell

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Any inprovements in reliablity, I'm thinking of getting one for steel challenge.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 AM
KAZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
shotwell, I've been blessed with two 41s that just RUN without drama. One with a S&W 7' and the other 5.5" I stuck the BULLY on the "A" prefix in place of the 5.5". Bullseye on GunTalk-online who runs 5 41s in competition says that many have removed the top strap to assure clean ejection so you get that in the BULLY design. The other thing is since I shoot mostly red dot I love having the base milled into the barrel. If, the 10 to 20 mph winds ever relent I plan to do some work at 25 yds to see if I can get close to the test target Ray sent with the barrel. At 15 yds it will drill a fine group with zero FTF so far. I couldn't be more pleased with the barrel and working with Ruby & Ray. Regards
Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 AM
shotwell

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine stovepipes, you need something that will run 100 percent of the time
Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 AM
KAZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
shotwell, I'm blessed to own now,or have owned almost every semiauto 22 rimfire platform and the statement that "you need something that will run 100 percent of the time" isn't in the cards due to the very nature of the rimfire design. Serious rimfire completion shooters go to expensive lengths to find a single lot of high quality fodder and buy enough of that lot to attempt a constant result. For example, yesterday I fired 100 rounds of CCI SV with zero problems of any kind in my 41. Then I switched to a Sig Mosquito and fired 50 rounds of Federal Automatch with no failures. Then I loaded some Federal bulk pack and had several "stovepipes" per magazine which gave me an opportunity to train with my stoppage drills After five mags (50 rounds) I went back to the Automatch and the "stovepipes" ceased and no failures again for the 5 mags. So, you might try some CCI SV in your 41 and if the "stovepipes" continue then perhaps someone will offer a cure as you will have removed the ammo as a likely cause of the problem. Of course if you are having the "stovepipes" with CCI SV and have a clean lead free chamber all bets are off. Regards
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found that it's the ammo that causes most malfunctions in 22 rimfire.

My 41 has gone many thousands of rounds of CCI SV without a hiccup - it shoots tighter groups with the high end target ammo but it gets stovepipes or failures to feed.

My Marvel also has gone a few thousand rounds without a malfunction using CCI SV but that took quite a lot of tuning to get to that point.

My CZ Kadet has been the most reliable shooting any kind of ammo - HV or SV -I now shoot CCI both HV or SV in it and it's boringly reliable magazine after magazine.

I found the same thing with several other handgunds - Rugers and various Walther PP, PPK/s and TPH - CCI minimags always performened the best in those guns.

It's been said here countless times - find the ammo the gun likes best.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Magical
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
shotwell, I've been blessed with two 41s that just RUN without drama. One with a S&W 7' and the other 5.5" I stuck the BULLY on the "A" prefix in place of the 5.5". Bullseye on GunTalk-online who runs 5 41s in competition says that many have removed the top strap to assure clean ejection so you get that in the BULLY design. The other thing is since I shoot mostly red dot I love having the base milled into the barrel. If, the 10 to 20 mph winds ever relent I plan to do some work at 25 yds to see if I can get close to the test target Ray sent with the barrel. At 15 yds it will drill a fine group with zero FTF so far. I couldn't be more pleased with the barrel and working with Ruby & Ray. Regards
Kaz,
I have #59 on the way.
What red dot do you use and why?
I have not looked at them yet. What about the reflex type?
Thanks,
Magical
Old 11-08-2008, 07:31 AM
KAZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Magical, I just took a look at the test target for #59 BULLY, you have to be very excited If, I could only have one Red Dot it would be the 30mm Ultra Match Dot($200). It has many dot size/intensity choices,click adjustments, and life time warranty. It will stand up to competition rigor. I am testing a Millet ($90) that seems very similar. Both are "tube designs". Next for a smaller foot print that doesn't overpower the top of your pistol is the Burris Fast Fire($170) reflex. It is very nice and at 4 ozs gets the job done if a single dot size (4 moa) works for your needs. On the top end of the scale is the Aimpoint Micro T1 which is the smaller version of the sight most of us run on our AR 15s. If I could only have one RD it would be an Ultra Dot. Regards
Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
welderguy652
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bully/Ammo

I was shooting the CMP (Aguila) white box stuff in my 41 until I put #66 on. I had some reliability issues that I blame on the bullet lube. I cleaned the chamber, and tried CMP black box, and CCI SV. Either one eliminated the problem, so I'm shooting the black box, which is substantially less money. I find that I need to clean the chamber every 2-3 hundred rounds for optimum reliability. My stock 41 barrel would easily go 10 times that long (I went all summer without cleaning the chamber, and I shoot 2-3 times a week). This indicates to me that the Bully simply has a tighter chamber, and needs a little more care. Easy trade-off for the superior accuracy that the Bully offers.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:51 PM
shotwell

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just started shooting the CCI SV
Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Magical
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Thanks KAZ

I am really excited to get the new barrel.

Now I will need to go out and get some hands on and up close looks at the Red Dots.
I find a new Ultradot Pan-A-V that has 4 patterns for the sight but I don't find the size of the dot.
The ATN Ultra gets good reviews on Midway. Has a 2 MOA dot. 4 Patterns.
Will have to see the patterns, hands on to get an idea of what I will like I guess.

How are the different size dots used?

Most all of these have Weaver mounts. I find B Square adapters. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Magical
Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
KAZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Magical, the UD Match and the Millet have 2-4-6-8 moa dots to choose from. When you put the dot on the target you will find that you choose the smallest dot for the size of the bull and the distance from the target so that the dot doesn't cover up the bull. At longer ranges to large a dot will keep you from seeing the bull, where as a smaller dot will center in the bull. Then again if you are popping soda cans in bright sun a larger dot is perfect for quick shooting Actually a 4 moa dot is a happy size that will do a fine job in most conditions. That is the beauty of the built in weaver style base on the BULLY, most sights use the weaver as standard, and we don't have to use an adapter. I wish that you could find some of the different types/brands of red dots to try, I've let many shooters try mine out to see if they like one or another. Regards