Groundhogs / Woodchucks - how to flush them out? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM
unclearthur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Groundhogs / Woodchucks - how to flush them out?

I have a big problem with groundhogs (ie woodchucks) around my cabin. Hundreds of holes....but you never see the little #*&$%*s. Any ideas how I can flush them out so that they can be appropriately dealt with my .22 ?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C4
kaboom.
I've read they use to use gas fumes to get rattlers out. Funnel n hose. If that don't work, a match. Insure the cabin first.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
TNSquirrelHunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have any experience with ground hogs, but when I was a kid in Texas, we used to have ground squirrels. We would locate thier primary hole and the secondary "escape route".
Then, we ran a water hose into the main entrance, and turned on the water. As the hole flooded, the little waterlogged squirrel would come swimming out of the escape route where me or one of my brothers would be standing with a baseball bat. It was like real life "whack-a-mole"! Great fun for a bored kid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Bull7x7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put a road flair down the hole and seal it with dirt. Then just watch for them to come out another. If they don't come out the fumes have taken care of the problem.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
hersh5317
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Go buy some Bazooka gum and drop a few pieces down each hole. They like the sugary taste and eat it like the candy it is. It causes a slow death, but it gets rid of the problem. Some mothballs would probably flush them out for some target practice.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
tooltime
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T N T

John
Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 PM
welderguy652
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What part of the country you are you in that you have groundhogs this time of year? Up here they're hibernating or whatever it is they do. Those that made it past the .17 HMR anyway. No more whacking until next Spring.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 AM
slowhanddd

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Had a guy down the road from me put his cutting torch in the hole.We have moles and gophers.Turn on the gas for about 5 minutes.Lit the torch and blew about a 1/2 acre of ground up!Looked like it had been plowed.I felt it at my house.We live about a mile apart.Needless to say,DONT TRY THIS AT HOME.Slow
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhanddd View Post
Had a guy down the road from me put his cutting torch in the hole.We have moles and gophers.Turn on the gas for about 5 minutes.Lit the torch and blew about a 1/2 acre of ground up!Looked like it had been plowed.I felt it at my house.We live about a mile apart.Needless to say,DONT TRY THIS AT HOME.Slow
I'd've paid to see that!!! Maybe we can get mythbusters to give er a whirl.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 AM
cletus hungwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhanddd View Post

i saw somethin similar done long ago with rat holes under a concrete slab of a shop.....

an old guy used a 10' length of garden hose, and about a cup of gasoline.... he ran the hose down in the hole, and poured in the gas.....then, he started blowing through the hose till he could smell it strongly at the other hole farthest from where he started....

he then dropped a lit match at the farthest hole...

the best description i can give of the sound was of something between a jet engine and a mortar goin off...... rats, nest, baby rats, and all came rollin out the end he lit off with flames on them.... we had to put out a few minor grass fires from it, but it definately worked!!!

cletus

ps: am i the only one here that can hear the "hey ya'll, hold my beer and watch this!"....lol....
Old 11-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Mainer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot woodchucks with .22lr, 9mm hp, 12ga.

I have never had luck flushing them from their holes. I have set fires with gasoline without success. A couple of years ago I was fed up with the holes being dug in my back yard. I stuck a garden hose down the biggest hole and ran it full blast for half an hour--nothing. Others may have found flushing methods that work, I haven't.

One of my observations of woodchucks is that they do not emerge at the crack of dawn--more like 8:00 or 8:30 am. They also seem to be active again in the early evening.

Another observation is that they they do not seem to associate inside activity around windows as a danger, i.e., opening sashes and screens to take a shot at them doesn't seem to spook them. On the other hand, they are pretty good at spotting you sneeking around the house to take a shot.

Also, they will remerge from their holes not long after being spooked. A couple of years ago I shot one using a 12ga with No. 4 shot. I was far enough away that the pellets nocked it in the air, but didn't kill it. It immediately ran into its hole. Amazed, I was walking around the back yard with the 12ga in my hands looking for signs of blood. I looked over at the woodchuck hole 5'-10' ft away and saw the woodchuck halfway out of the hole and looking at me. He stayed there while I cycled he action. I shot him twice at 5'-10'ft (once probably would have been enough).

Finally, I have not had wonderful reslults using .22lr. I won't claim the best shot placement or best ammo choice. However, unless you are an expert marksman going for head shots, I think you would be better off with a .22 Mag or .17 HMR.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
jeft

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
Finally, I have not had wonderful results using .22lr. I won't claim the best shot placement or best ammo choice. However, unless you are an expert marksman going for head shots, I think you would be better off with a .22 Mag or .17 HMR.
I'm far from being an expert nor a marksman, but I've shot several (hundreds) groundhogs with a .22lr without any problems. I mainly did that with cheap HP ammo. If you're not having good results with .22lr I'm wondering how much better you'll do with a .22mag or .17? Unless you're shooting them at +100yrds

JefT
Old 11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Iseedeadnutrea

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I hope this helps your rodent problem. [URL="www.rodexindustries.com/action.html"] and if it doesn't it is sure fun to watch.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This just gets better and better!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Paulius1981

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone with more experience please feel free to correct me on this:

I have groundhog problems also, They dig the crap out of my property.

What I've found is that the environment really influences groundhogs behavior. I live near a railroad line (and the groundhogs love to burrow in the embankment) so they're not so easily startled and are easy to pick off when they come out.

On the other hand, the groundhogs at the other end of my property, (where it tends to stay quiet) will stay in their holes or bolt for them if they spot or hear the slightest bit of movement.

Unfortunately, the only thing I've tried that works is patience.

I basically go out at around 6pm or 6.30 (I've noticed the ones on my property get most active around 7-8pm during the summer), pick a spot about 75 yards from their hole and lie perfectly still and wait. They're easily taken down with 22LR hollowpoints.