M4-22 Charging Handle Problem - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here is the latest update to this thread:

Took the Tippmann Arms M-4 Micro Elite Pistol to my gunsmith. He confirmed what we suspected, that the extractor and/or bolt is probably at fault. One test he performed that I had not, is to slip a snap cap under the extractor and rotate the bolt so the snap cap is horizontal and above the opening in the cutout. When he did that, the snap cap fell out each time. He didn't even need to jostle it.

I mentioned the comment from this forum which verified my experience that Tippmann customer support is asleep at the phone, but suggested that a warranty claim might have a better chance of ringing an alarm bell.

When I said that I intended to ask for replacement extractor parts, the owner of the shop shook his head. "Don't tell them what you think the problem is. They will be more than happy to send you some small parts. But if that doesn't fix it? It's on you. Tell them only what the problem is. Then whatever happens after that is on them."

That sounds like good advice, so this afternoon I filled out a warranty claim, described the problem, and mentioned that I probably wouldn't be allowed to compete again with either the rifle or the pistol until the malfunction had been eliminated.

As they say at Wimbledon, the ball is in their court.

I hope they aren't also asleep at the net . . .
Old 06-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have good news to share:

Within 18 hours of filling out a warranty claim on both of my Tippmann Arms M4-22s, I received two phone calls, two emails, and a tracking number for two new bolts shipped out this morning. They indicated that by serial number and date of manufacture, the bolts in these two firearms likely were among those that had an out-of-spec extractor cutout.

I'll put a sufficient number of rounds through each one to verify that the problem is solved and update this thread with the results.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope it works well for you as i just bought my first tippmann .
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglide View Post
Hope it works well for you as i just bought my first tippmann .
FWIW, when I began looking for a .22LR option for competition, I only knew about the S&W M&P15-22, and I've had multiple extractor and ejector malfunctions with the rifle and pistol.

Then I tried the H&K46D rifle and pistol, both of which cycle almost any ammo, but I didn't know that they aren't really designed on the AR platform, which prevents using aftermarket grips, triggers, and ambi safety safety selectors. And the fact that the bolt catch is included just for appearance and isn't functional is annoying in the extreme.

Then I discovered the Tippmann, and I wished I had tried it first, at least until this problem showed up, and I'm thinking, what next?

This forum represents a gold mine of knowledge, and it appears that the suggestions offered have provided the answer to my quest for a reliable firearm.

Good luck with yours.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:58 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1at0r View Post

Took the Tippmann Arms M-4 Micro Elite Pistol to my gunsmith. He confirmed what we suspected, that the extractor and/or bolt is probably at fault. One test he performed that I had not, is to slip a snap cap under the extractor and rotate the bolt so the snap cap is horizontal and above the opening in the cutout. When he did that, the snap cap fell out each time. He didn't even need to jostle it.
Glad you confirmed that last step. I'd have used a 'real' cartridge or two, if for no other reason than the rim thickness of several of the snap caps I have here don't match the SAAMI spec.

In any case, that the extractor wasn't tight enough to hold the rim in place is a real indicator. The factory helping fix the problem quickly by sending you a bolt to swap in is reassuring news.

I found some videos of a guy changing out these small bolt parts on the Facebook 'Tippmann' group, by the way. It looks rather like a lot of other similar assemblies.

Hope your two setups match the performance and reliability expected, very soon.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't think about trying a real cartridge, but that has been overcome by events when I learned that Tippmann has had an issue with out of spec ejector cutouts in bolts. Not nearly as bad as the M&P15-22 bolt safety recall, however, which applied to the rifle variant I bought. Had to send it to S&W. The pistol's bolt isn't subject to recall, but I've had continuing issues with FTEs.

I realize that this forum is devoted to the Tippmann, but I would caution anyone in the market for a 22 rifle to be aware of the pro & con for the M4, M&P15-22, and the H&K 416D.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1at0r View Post
I would caution anyone in the market for a 22 rifle to be aware of the pro & con for the M4, M&P15-22, and the H&K 416D.
Agreed. Sound advice. I found the best article written on the topic to be this one:

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/tippmanns-m4-22/

I have had my full dose of 22LR firearms that have been cantankerous in operation, at least until I did something about them and got them running well. In selecting the Tippmann I chose goals that began with reliability. So far, I'm rather pleased on that front.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I have had my full dose of 22LR firearms that have been cantankerous in operation, at least until I did something about them and got them running well. In selecting the Tippmann I chose goals that began with reliability. So far, I'm rather pleased on that front."

For me, the H&K and the Tippmann have been far less malfunction-prone than the M&P. When I first began shooting 22LR, my primary objective was to determine which ammo was the most reliable. Other shooters in the squad were using CCI, which wasn't easy to find. But when I began having multiple FTEs, I realized that the M&P's extractor and ejector had more to do with it, not to mention the safety recall on the bolt.

If the new bolts solve the problem with both my M4s, I'll be very pleased as well.

Last edited by Av1at0r; 06-12-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: double quiote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:21 AM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the update, finally:

Tippmann sent me two new bolts. I tried both in the M4P and they didn't eject live rounds any better than the original. The problem with the rifle apparently fixed itself, but the jury is still out on that. Sent the M4P to Tippmann on a warranty claim, and they returned it in less than 2 weeks.

The fix: Inspected the radius on the barrel, found it out of spec, replaced it. Updated the bolt to the latest design. Updated the buffer assembly. Cycled X4 magazines without error.

So far, these changes have eliminated the problem.

Interesting to note that the bolts they sent for me to try were exactly like the original ones, even though they indicated they had redesigned them. The new one looks very different.

I'll be shooting the rifle and pistol a lot over the next few weeks and update this thread if the problem resurfaces with either firearm.

Thanks again for the excellent mutual support provided on this forum.

W.H. McIntosh
LtCol USAF (Ret)

Last edited by Av1at0r; 07-16-2021 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo