Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
WinM12
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 552 Speedmaster (2007)

Although I have a fair amount of experience with Remington shotguns, I'm still relatively new to their rimfire rifles. I have owned a 597 for 3 1/2 years so far and have been very impressed with its accuracy and feel, given the low price I paid.

Yesterday, I bought a used, but like-new 552 BDL-Deluxe Speedmaster from a local gun shop. The gun is immaculate - it looked like a current production gun, with the nice gloss finished walnut stock and cut checkering. I contacted Remington today and gave them the serial number - it was made this year - 2007! Considering it carries an MSRP of $536, I think I got a great deal buying it "used" for only $250!

I did request a manual from Remington, but in the meantime - who can give me some basic information on the 552? What is the best way to disassemble it for a thorough cleaning prior to its first trip to the range? How accurate should I expect a 2007 production 552 to be? Better than my 597?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
stainless45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to stainless45
Nice - very nice...

It sounds like you got a great deal!

I have an older 552, plain stock (no checkering) and I love it.
It will shoot all day long, and never give a whimper...

I made some quick load tube using some soft copper tubing (3/8") and glued a spent .40 brass on one end. The "open end" is cross drilled, and I use a pin to hold the rounds inside. I pull the feed tube rod completely out, tilt the mussel up slightly, insert the copper tube into the feed tube and let gravity allow the rounds to slide down... Re-insert the rod, rack the bolt & shoot! If interested, PM me with your E-mail address - for pictures...

I purchased mine from a pawn shop, and also had no manual. I did find that to re-assemble the barrel back to the receiver - you must have the hammer in the cocked position. My barrel WILL NOT go back on - unless the hammer is set!

It's very easy to keep clean.

I have a red-dot mounted on mine, and I have never tried to bench shoot it. But it is such a great rifle to just shoot free-hand! It just feels good...