First 513-T - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:25 PM
joefriday22
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
First 513-T

Hey guys,
I went to a gun show today and bought my first 513. The blueing is about 90+% but there are tiny pin point size intentions(pits?) in the barrel. The rear and front sight are Redfield and I got 6 extra inserts for the front sight. It also came with the Unertl type scope mounts and a military sling in beautiful condition (turned out it's a Boyt -42-, so I'm thrilled with that, I've seen much worse than this one go for over $100 on Ebay). Right after I bought this one I noticed that the next table had one in even a little better condition for $300 with $475 crossed out but it didn't have the Unertl mounts and the top of the receiver had been tapped...no Boyt sling either.

Here's the down side to this one..I think..When I got home and threw it up in to my shoulder to look down the sights I almost knocked my teeth out..I'm wondering if the stock has been cut down a bit..It's 31 1/2 inches long..Has it been shortened? Also, are the Unertl type mounts somthing that originally came on this gun or were they added? It's got 1735 stamped under the barrel just in front of the end of the stock. Military markings?

By the way, I paid $300, barrel code puts it at 1940. OK price or not?

Thanks guys,
Rob

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by joefriday22; 09-15-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Red face

measured length of pull ( center of trigger to middle of butt plate ) on both of mine it is 13 1/2 " - the comb hight of the factory stocks is usually a little high for the iron sights but ok for scope use - most of the military stocks had the stock combs cut down for iron sight use - yours is still original height + has original flutes at the front of comb - you got a good deal on yours - barrel mounted scope block mounting holes are factory original - looks good - enjoy !
Old 09-15-2007, 07:51 PM
joefriday22

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Thanks for the info Sir..The length of mine is 12 1/2..Dang,,O'well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
BTL
US Coast Guard Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Looks original with the factory butt plate. If you take it off you will probably find a number stamped into it that matches a number stamped into the butt of the stock. From what I understand the nice flutes you have on your stock are indicative of the civilian model stocks. The stocks made for the military contract rifles were very coarse and not finished well in that area. I have two civilian stocks and one military. Nice looking rifle and you did very well with that Boyts sling.
BTL
I just measured a loose civilian stock and it is 32" from forward tip center, to center of butt measuring along the side of the stock.

CMP Civilian stock, US marked receiver all blued finish

CMP Military stock, US marked barrel and receiver. all parked finish. No distinct flutes on this stock.
BTL

Last edited by BTL; 09-15-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM
joefriday22

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
It has a number on the butt plate but none on the stock butt,,I measured it again and it's 31 inches so I guess it's been shortened 1 inch..Darn it..
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
joefriday22

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
BTL,schutzen-jager

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the civilian stock and the typical military stock with the comb and flutes cut down. I hadn't noticed that difference and would have bought the first decent stock that came along.

Numrich has replacement military stock for like $26 and the picture shows the high comb and flutes but who knows what I would actually get. I use to live by Numrich and could go and hand pick what I wanted but I live in Va. now. If I don't find a stock before Thanksgiving then I'll stop by there and see what I can get when I go to NY to visit relatives .

You guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
sharpshooter147
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Talking

I just purchased one of the Remington 513T stocks for 26.00 dollars. It is one of the military old stocks. You will need to refinish these stocks they are rough and have some military numbers inscribed on them. I feel it will be a winter project coming up soon. Mine has scrapes and rough spots here and there. Its going to take many hours of work to bring it around to look very nice. Maybe you might want to get on the internet and look for a company who can duplicate you a new stock. If money is not the issue I am sure you can get another for 200.00 or more dollars duplicated.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 PM
BTL
US Coast Guard Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
joefriday22,
I should change the heading on the lower photo. It should say CMP US Property marked barrel and receiver with "Numrich replacement used military stock".
The stock that came with this rifle was modified in it has sling swivels on the left side. Biathalon?
My Numrich stock was an easy clean and refinish. It came as stated with all hardware with the exception of the clip latch and screw.
BTL
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Another option, while not pretty, is to get a section of old buttstock from a scrap stock.

Install wooden furniture dowels in the 513-t's stock, and lenghten the stock with the scrap piece; by sliding the added section over the dowels. You can either epoxy the piece in place, or use two wood screws under the buttplate to secure the extention.

Again, not pretty, but it works.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 AM
stainless45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to stainless45
Why not just add a rubber butt from a shotgun / center fire rifle? Would give you the added length you are looking for, and only the purist would know the difference!

Shoot the darn thing, unless you purchased it to look at?