Hunting with a 10/22 TD - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:32 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hunting with a 10/22 TD

Getting better at paper so I'm wondering if I could hunt with my TD. Still using iron sights at under 25 yards indoors.

How have you done with hunting with your T/D or is it wiser to get a reliable bolt action with a scope?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:19 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post
Getting better at paper so I'm wondering if I could hunt with my TD. Still using iron sights at under 25 yards indoors.

How have you done with hunting with your T/D or is it wiser to get a reliable bolt action with a scope?
I would think that. The lack of inherent accuracy with the TD risks maiming your game or missing them entirely.

Doug
Old 01-05-2021, 05:32 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TD is not inherently inaccurate. Mine does well enough to hunt with if chose to. It is a survival rifle. I will admit I could not get it to shoot well in the factory stock. Backpacker stock made a big difference. BX trigger helped too. The limitations on mine are mostly me. If I missed a squirrels head at 50 yards it is on me not the gun.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
It's a great hunting rifle, has over the last few years been one of my go 2 hunting rifles. Absolutely perfect for small game to 25 yards, much better use for the gun than benchrest.

Print off a lifesize target and see what you can do with it in a normal hunting stance. You will quickly find it's you and not the gun limiting the hunt.....

Mine only gets passed over in lieu of a 17hm2, the 17 hm2 is so vastly more effective on small game my 22s usually get to play second fiddle.

Last edited by comfisherman; 01-05-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:29 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just want to know what are you going to hunt indoors?
Old 01-05-2021, 08:36 PM
mjrsfj40

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Mine shoots well and was used for Rimfire Challenge competition for several years. I have upgraded to the Tacsol barrel and stock (not due to accuracy issues, but want to to be different); however, the issue of the flexing stock is still the same. It has now been bedded ubove the front sling swivel between the barrel and stock, to remove the flex. I have hinted and will continue to hunt with this rifle in the future. Currently, a 2-7 Weaver rimfire scope with detachable rings is mounted on receiver. Will shoot 1 1/2 groups at 50 yards off the bench. Good enough for my usage! Go forth and hunt with your rifle!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:31 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
seriously, I'd hunt grey squirrels with my TD, but I'd use a self imposed limit to 50 yards

here's a pic of the type of groups it typically does for 5 shots at 50yds using Eley Sport

you can see it does some nice tight groups, then it throws a couple ...so I don't really trust it yet for shooting much past 50yds...maybe as it gets more plinking time, the barrel will settle in a bit more
Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
That's not bad at all, cracked. Certainly good enough for hunting squirrel. Is yours the exception that proves the rule? Though a few others here have reported good results, most have not. My concern is what happens after taking it down and putting it back together -- the idea behind the TD, no? If you can't take it down without sighting it in again after re-assembly, and not even sure whether it will shoot as well after, it sorta defeats the idea behind the rifle. At least for me. I would prefer even a basic 10/22 carbine -- still very light and handy -- as a better choice for hunting, and almost certainly more accurate than the typical TD. For certain purposes, the TD is fine and maybe even preferable, but IMO, that does not include hunting, except perhaps in a survival setting. But that's why there's more flavors than vanilla.

Doug
Old 01-06-2021, 09:40 AM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had two takedowns and they both shot just as well as a normal 10/22 plenty good enough for small game out to 50 yards. Zero never changed for me with sights mounted to the barrel or with red dots on the receiver same with other takedowns I've had. I did see some issues with a scope on a Marlin pappoose but the re install wouldn't be as consistent as with the 10/22 and it was never off far enough to where it would no longer be good enough for squirrels.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:00 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
My TD's while certainly not bench guns are plenty accurate enough for hunting small game out to 50 yards.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Squirrel and Nick, my experience has been the same. I have a 3x scope on mine and it's dependable and accurate to 50 yards for squirrel heads. I've taken rabbits at 70-75 yards but at 100 I'm not steady enough to shoot. I break mine down regularly with no accuracy problems.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:50 PM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Trail boss, i totally agree. Varmints, pests and prairie dogs all the way out to 100 plus yards. But that is because body shots are preferred. Have 5 TD rifles and 2 chargers, as long as i am consistent in my assembly routine zero is not affected. These days it is rare to carry a non TD.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Antonio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's possible. Looking forward to do so too.
A red dot is a nice upgrade over the factory iron sights and in my opinion increases your chances of scoring a proper hit.

A scoped bolt-action is usually a better tool for the job specially if expecting extreme accuracy but hunting with a 10/22 TD is perfectly feasible.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:06 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
That's not bad at all, cracked. Certainly good enough for hunting squirrel. Is yours the exception that proves the rule? Though a few others here have reported good results, most have not. My concern is what happens after taking it down and putting it back together -- the idea behind the TD, no? If you can't take it down without sighting it in again after re-assembly, and not even sure whether it will shoot as well after, it sorta defeats the idea behind the rifle. At least for me. I would prefer even a basic 10/22 carbine -- still very light and handy -- as a better choice for hunting, and almost certainly more accurate than the typical TD. For certain purposes, the TD is fine and maybe even preferable, but IMO, that does not include hunting, except perhaps in a survival setting. But that's why there's more flavors than vanilla.

Doug
my BIL has a SS TD that groups better than mine, but he spends a bit more on what he feeds it than I do, and he also has a bigger optic than my little 3x-9x bugbuster

and as long as I remember to cycle the bolt on an empty chamber a couple times when I first put it back together, it doesn't seem to matter if I take it apart, or leave it together during a range session, point of impact doesn't seem to shift around (at the ranges I'm using it at anyway) I found out early that I get more impact shift from using the QD scope rings, and taking the scope on and off...since it still fits in the bag when mounted, I just leave it in place now

mine rides taken down and stowed in its bag strapped across the handle bars of my ATV most of the time...thinking about picking up a couple of the modular stocked models for the kids to carry on their mini bikes during our weekend rides out into the desert foothills
Old 01-08-2021, 09:13 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post

If you are talking about hunting with Iron sights out to 25 yards, then there really isn't a difference in a "Takedown" vs traditional 10/22, since sights are mounted on the barrel....

If you want to add a scope, there are some good techniques to maintain zero.
Keep that ring as snug as you can and still allow you to assemble and disassemble the rifle. should take some effort, but not so much you feel like you are straining.
Second is to pull back and drop the bolt 4-5 times after you assemble. helps reseat the barrel.