Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
stainless45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to stainless45
New owner of a 597 Magnum - HELP

Hello ALL...

I was just given a almost new 597 Magnum, and my brother-in-law said he could not get it to feed the 17 HRM ammo. It feeds / shoots .22 mag - all day long! The magazine is marked 17 HRM and .22 mag.

The gun shop he deals with states they (in Ohio) have had a lot of problems with this issue. He gave me one metal magazine, and says he will mail another and also one in plastic.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix?

Thank you - in advance!!!

Jim
Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 AM
John Gyde

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless45 View Post
Hello ALL...

I was just given a almost new 597 Magnum, and my brother-in-law said he could not get it to feed the 17 HRM ammo. It feeds / shoots .22 mag - all day long! The magazine is marked 17 HRM and .22 mag.

The gun shop he deals with states they (in Ohio) have had a lot of problems with this issue. He gave me one metal magazine, and says he will mail another and also one in plastic.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix?

Thank you - in advance!!!

Jim
The metal mags work much better than the plastic, but... What do you have? It sounds like you are shooting 17 HMR and 22 mag from the same rifle??? I sure hope not...
Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Bigdog2n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
According to Rem it only comes in 22mag

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...gnum_specs.asp

Just because the magazine says 17 and 22 doesn't mean the rifle will shoot both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 01:23 AM
stainless45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry I might have been a little confused when I started this thread... It has been a VERY long day!

I have the box, rifle, and magazine in front of me now; so here goes.

On the box edge label reads -->
Remington Model 597 LS Magnum
Autoloading Rimfire Rifle
20" Barrel 17 HMR w/ 8 shot clip

The magazine is metal, and reads on the bottom cap -->
model 597 magnum 22WMR 17 HMR

The barrel is stamped -->
.17 HMR

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Sheriff160
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless45 View Post
Hello ALL...

I was just given a almost new 597 Magnum, and my brother-in-law said he could not get it to feed the 17 HRM ammo. It feeds / shoots .22 mag - all day long!

If the barrel is stamped .17 HMR, I dunno how you are shooting .22Mag out of it and if you are, I would stop immediately! Those two calibers are not interchangable. The magazine will handle both calibers but not the rifle itself. You cannot shoot .22 magnum out of a .17HMR!

Last edited by Sheriff160; 06-06-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
John Gyde

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2n View Post
According to Rem it only comes in 22mag

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...gnum_specs.asp

Just because the magazine says 17 and 22 doesn't mean the rifle will shoot both.
Maybe Rem only shows the 22 mag now, but they made a bunch in 17 HMR. The newer magazines are stamped for both but, as you said, the rifle certainly isn't meant to shoot both. DANGEROUS to attempt to shoot a mag in a HMR chambered rifle.

Something is wrong with this story. I just tried to chamber a 22 mag cartridge in a bolt action 17 HMR. It would not chamber... Maybe if I reefed on the bolt it would have, but I can't imagine a semi-auto could slam it home.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 PM
17s4ever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
stainless45

WHO was shooting when the rifle fed and fired 22 magnum all day? You need to determine exactly which cartridge the rifle was made to fire. If you can insert a 22 cal. cleaning rod in the barrel/bore of the rifle you have a 22. cal. rifle, regardless of what is stamped on the barrel. You MAY be able to chamber a 17 HMR round, but you probably will only fire it once.....and maybe awaken in the hospital if lucky. Don't attempt to fire ANYTHING in the rifle until you know exactly what is correct. Let us know the outcome.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Sheriff160
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
This is a common sense. You cannot fire a .22 inch diameter bullet through a bore that is only .17 inch in diameter.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM
zkling

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow Wow Wow

I really hope you are just explaining this wrong, other wise you are setting yourself up for a darwin award!!!

What ever the BARREL is marked for, yes it will state it, is what the RIFLE itself is chambered for(aka this is the only round to use in the rifle even others might fit)!!! I am pretty sure that only difference between the 22mag 597and the 17hmr 597 is the barrel; the receiver and mag should be the same.

There is no way that you are shooting 22mag rounds through a 17hmr rifle, that is just not possible. Please take a picture of the BARREL markings and we will tell you what you have, untill then I would advise you not to shoot this rifle any more.

Not trying to be rude, but this is very dangerous. I hope there is just a lack of understanding/explination
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
The guy probably just performed a barrel swap, simple as that.

As far as the feeding issues goe, this is what I did to fix any issues I had with my 597 17 HMR when I had it. Take apart the trigger group and thouroughly clean it and then spray it with Remington DRY lube. Then tear apart the METAL magazines on the mating surfaces. I think I used a very fine sandpaper and tried removing any burrs. I then spray everything again with Remington Dry Lube. The dry lube teflon is very important. See if that works. I also replaced the hammer and extractor at the same time with Volquartsen parts, so that could have helped. I also found that filling the magazine to a full 8-rds made it have issues sometimes. Try just 5 rounds.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
John Gyde

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladykiller View Post
The guy probably just performed a barrel swap, simple as that.

As far as the feeding issues goe, this is what I did to fix any issues I had with my 597 17 HMR when I had it. Take apart the trigger group and thouroughly clean it and then spray it with Remington DRY lube. Then tear apart the METAL magazines on the mating surfaces. I think I used a very fine sandpaper and tried removing any burrs. I then spray everything again with Remington Dry Lube. The dry lube teflon is very important. See if that works. I also replaced the hammer and extractor at the same time with Volquartsen parts, so that could have helped. I also found that filling the magazine to a full 8-rds made it have issues sometimes. Try just 5 rounds.
If there was a barrel swap, I think he would have mentioned it. My 17 (a very early production) had feeding issues. I cured it by replacing the plastic mags with metal ones. After that, it worked fine.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 AM
stainless45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OK - thank you - ALL

Ok - I will now clear up the muddy waters on this story...

I was very tired when I wrote up the first thread, and did not hear / understand correctly - what my bro-in-law was TRYING to tell me!

He HAS NOT fired anything larger than .17 HMR through the barrel (as WE all know that would be impossible!)

It was just the issue of .17 HMR magazine loading / feeding the .17 HMR rounds.

The original problem was he could not load more than 3-4 rounds - then the magazine would bind and course then would not feed into the chamber!

I took apart the metal magazine and filed down the follower and the inside of the magazine until the follower would drop free.
I have tested the magazine by fully loading 8 rounds, inserting the magazine, and hand cycling all 8 rounds from the magazine into the chamber and having all 8 eject properly. I am convinced that this rifle will now function properly.

I'm sorry that I confused anyone - and thanks to ALL that were concerned.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 PM
John Gyde

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's awfully easy to type and push "Submit". I have gotten called on a few of my posts. I thought they made sense as I typed & pushed the submit button only to be corrected later.

Ain't this site great!!! I've learned a bunch!