Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lets share Savage model 3 series rifle information here

96K views 215 replies 53 participants last post by  JohnH40x 
#1 · (Edited)
The reason I started this thread is that I am in the process of re-finishing a basic model 3D rifle. I really like this rifle and wanted to find out as much information as I can. I know some collectors will recoil at the word re-finish. But I primarily wanted another neat old shooter and saw this rifle sitting looking very abused on a pawnshop shelve.

The outside of the barrel was pretty beat up, with a lot of surface rust. Luckily no pitting. The bore was in excellent condition. No doubt from shooting standard wax/lube coated bullets. I am a firm believer that the standard wax/lube coating on .22RF ammunition helps tremendously to preserve a bore. The barrel is 24" so I know, well at least I used to know - read below, it is a post war model. Since it was made pre '68 there is no serial number as expected. I had the barreled action parkerized and it looks great - very vintage. The trigger guard is cheap pot metal, so could not get parkerized or blued. I plan on using a spray/bake on finish on it. The muzzle crown did not look too bad. But since I have a crown cutting tool sitting around I re-cut the crown anyway to an 11 degree target type.

The plastic butt plate that was on the rifle was broken in two pieces and I posted about looking for a replacement here. Someone who's E mail I lost and am tremendously thankful for offered a Marlin M60 butt plate as a replacement. If the person that I received this butt plate from reads this - big THANK YOU. The butt plate only needed a little sanding down to fit, and it right at home on the rifle now.

Here is the updated information I promised. I will keep this reference updated as information comes in.

Thank you all who contribute. Especially for anyone who posts or links pictures of their rifles. I think that a picture is worth a thousand words. Overall rifle pictures and barrel stampings (markings) specially wanted.

--------SAVAGE 3 SERIES Rifle Information--------

There were several variations of the Savage model 3 rifle made. All were bolt action, single shot, .22 RF (S, L, LR). Added model designation such as "A", "B", "C", etc. only denoted minor changes or additions to the rifle. None included major modifications such as a box or tube magazine. Models included the 3, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 3S, and 3ST.

There is conflicting information as to dates of manufacture. Some references show they were manufactured 1930-47, others 1933-52.

One reference that was printed in 1931, listed the M3 as "new" at that time, with a wholesale price of $3.90, retail $4.85, packed 10 and 25 in a case. Therefore it is reasonable to presume that in fact the first M3's came off of the production line in either 1930 or '31. However, this same reference showed M3's with a 39" over all length, and having a 22" barrel and steel butt plate. The stock pictured is not grooved on the sides. (This might have been pre-production info).

Some 1931 dated materials show a grooved stock and list a 24" barrel. The barrel length is important in narrowing down when M3's were manufactured. Most references printed recently show that Pre-war (WWII) models have 26" barrels, post-war 24". This is confusing, as publications from the early 1930's do not reflect this same information, reference above.

Of considerable help in identifying dates of manufacture will be the barrel stamp as to city of manufacture (Chicopee Falls, MA and Utica, NY). Savage was back in production during 1947 at the Chicopee Falls, MA, plant. Therefore you wouldn't find a Chicopee Falls stamped barrel before 1947, but you might find a Utica stamped barrel for a little while after the move, till inventory was used up.

The below information comes directly from Savage wholesale fliers, catalogs, and parts manuals, unless otherwise identified, all printed in the years indicated.

1933, listed overall length at 41 1/2" with a 24" barrel, walnut stock w/groove on side and steel butt plate. Bolt and trigger are chrome plated. D&T'ed for the #55 Lyman rear peep sight that mounts to a receiver with 2 hole receiver spacing being 1/2" center to center.

1934, (Catalog) Same as 1933 but now 43 1/2" over all w/26" barrel.

1934, (Parts Manual) lists a 3-A & 3-B (not in 1932, 1933 not available). 3-A is a change to the bolt assembly (1/2 cocks on opening, 1/2 on close?), no parts difference listed for 3-B (something minor?)

1935, (Catalog) stock is heavier (no groove), hard rubber butt plate. D&T for Lyman # 55 rear peep sight dropped, replaced with Savage peep sight on 3-S. 3-ST listed

1936, the Savage #10 scope was available but rifle not D&T'ed.

1937, rifle now D&T'ed for telescope sight, 2 holes on left side of action. The mount used was the Weaver "T" mount (T-1 and T-3). The 2 hole spacing was 2 3/8", center to center. (The next later common mount Weaver made and may be encountered on these rifles is the "N" mount, it used four holes but the outside two holes are only 3 1/8" apart)

1938, no change

From "The Rifle in America" by Philip B. Sharpe. (NRA reprint of the 1938 version)
M3's were introduced in 1931. Walnut stock, 26" barrel, hard-rubber plate.
Model 3, gold bead front sight, flat-top rear.
Model 3S, slot blank in rear sight dovetail, hooded front sight on ramp base (hood holds the removable sight in place). Savage receiver peep sight attached on the left side at rear. Sometime before 1938 the rear blank was replace with a fold down Savage rear sight.
Model 3ST, same as the 3S plus a 7/8" sling strap, sling studs and swivels.
The above three variations were still in production in 1938.
In 1938 the Model 3 with basic iron sights was available with the Savage #10 scope (Weaver 329) in Weaver mounts (Presumably this would have been the "T" series as in 3T. However it is not clear in the way it is listed.)
The later parts manual shows only the "3" as the first variation. The later rifle (post WWII?) lists the 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 53C, 53CD, 53D and the Model 83. Whenever a change was made Savage would bump the letter call out on the model.

1939, pictured with the bent metal guard, 1940 has the cast metal guard. 3-ST no longer listed.

From Stoeger Arms Corporation catalog of 1939 (Models 3, 3S, and 3ST shown) - 26" barrel, Chrome plated bolt and trigger, walnut stock with finger grooves and steel butt plate, receiver D&Td for #55 Lyman rear peep sight. Pictured rifle shows cocking knob on bolt. Prices shown M3 - $5.65, M3S - $6.40, M3ST - $8.40.

1940, no change noted

1941, no change noted

1946, Savage Catalog #76, 24" barrel, high luster finish on bolt and trigger, walnut stock with fluted comb - large broad forestock, hard composition butt plate, pictured with the cast trigger guard. Model 3 listed price $11.60, Model 3S still shown and described in catalog - however shown in price list as not being available in 1946.

Production was around 9000 units per year in 1933-1939 (Savage sales records...this is the only years data available on so far)

Basic rifle information: .22RF (S, L, LR) Bolt Action Single Shot. (Note - all these models may in fact not be in existence. Reference to some was found on the internet, as such it is subject to question):

Model 3, open iron sights. Stamped metal trigger guard. Walnut stock. Bolt has a cocking knob/safety. There is a report that at least one of these rifles came with a 22" factory barrel. At least one specimen known not to have had its receiver D&Ted for a scope base or receiver peep sight (same specimen as the one reported with a 22" factory barrel).

Model 3A, open iron sights. Stamped metal trigger guard. Finger groove in forend of walnut stock.

Model 3B - open iron sights, blued bead front, 24" or 26" barrel, bolt has a cocking knob/safety, chrome plated smooth-handled bolt and trigger, finger groove in fore end of walnut stock - there is also a report that some stocks did not have the finger groove in the forend, no sling attachments, metal butt plate with factory horizontal grooves cut in it - also reported to come with a hard rubber/plastic butt plate, stamped metal trigger guard, slot for bolt; is straight with an arrow stamped in the bolt pointing to the cocking knob, no safety, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, known to have been manufactured prior to mid 1944 - unknown when production stopped.

Model 3C - open iron sights, gold bead front, 26" barrel, chrome plated smooth-handled bolt and trigger, cast "pot metal" trigger guard, no finger groove in forend of walnut stock, hard rubber/plastic butt plate, left front of receiver drilled and tapped with 2 holes, 2 3/8" hole spacing center to center for the Weaver "T" mount, does not have a cocking knob.

Model 3D, open iron sights, gold bead front, 24" barrel, cast "pot metal" trigger guard, no finger groove in forend of walnut stock, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, 7/8" hole spacing center to center for the Savage #150 peep sight, chrome plated bolt and trigger, bolt handle is smooth - not knurled, does not have a cocking knob, known to have still been in production as late as early 1947. (At least 2 known specimens of model 3Ds are known to be in this exact configuration.)

Model 3DE - ?

Model 3E - ?

Model 3S, slot blank in rear sight dovetail, hooded front sight on ramp base (hood holds the removable sight in place), Savage receiver peep sight attached on the left side at rear, sometime before 1938 the rear blank was replaced with a fold down Savage rear sight.

Model 3ST, same as the 3S plus a 7/8" sling strap, sling studs and swivels.

---------------------End of general info---------------------------------------------

Numrich Arms lists a rear peep sight for the model 3:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...SKU=542060&MC=

And below is my 3D next to my much enjoyed Remington 510

See less See more
#58 ·
Time to put up or . . .

Okay, it's time to separate the riflemen and riflewomen from the wannabees.

I propose a mail shoot, to be conducted the weekend of January 27-28. Three ranges, 25, 50 and, ohmigod, 100 yards. (Meters if you prefer. But you shoot 25, 50, and 100 actual meters, without compensation for your choice of unit, just to reduce your chances of showing us up. :D )

Three positions: offhand, sitting ON THE GROUND, and prone. Five rounds at each of the positions, at each of the ranges. Total of 45 rounds -- any ammunition you can shoot through your Savage 3.

You start shooting with a cold barrel, and you cannot take any sighting shots at any time during the day. The five rounds at a position must be completed within five minutes. You can take as long as you want between positions, but you cannot practice between positions.

No scopes, no slings, no bipods, no rests, not even your buddy's shoulder. :eek: Peep sights are allowed if they were in place before you read this message. No whining about the weather at your locale. In other words, rimfire shooting as it was meant to be.

Particpants will send me photos of their target results, by email or snail mail, and I'll post them on a personal web page for all to see. We'll score by the distance of your group's center (i.e., the averaged distance of five shots from the target center). We'll declare range winners for each range and an overall winner. No prize except bragging rights.

Who's interested?

#61 ·
I propose a mail shoot, to be conducted the weekend of January 27-28. Three ranges, 25, 50 and, ohmigod, 100 yards. (Meters if you prefer. But you shoot 25, 50, and 100 actual meters, without compensation for your choice of unit, just to reduce your chances of showing us up. :D )

Who's interested?
Hell; can't even see open sights with /without glass. Leaves me out. :D
Claude

#59 ·
Just a few minutes ago I received some pictures and info of a model 3C (Hooray :D , they are out there!).

I will get these pics posted, along with updated information hopefully within the next few days.

Re: mail shoot. I'd love to do it, but would need some leeway as to the time period. I am working Sat/Sun right now so am not able to shoot over any weekend. If I had about a 7 day window to get to the range I should be able to get 'er done :Blasting_

Regards,
Rob

#60 ·
Okey dokey. The competition will now be open Sat., Jan. 27-- Sun., Feb. 4. Entries must be sent to me as of Monday, Feb. 5. I'll wait for snail mail until Feb. 12.

If you plan to send me attachments by email, please send me a private message with your email address and I'll reply in kind. If you're sending me snail mail, send me a PM and I'll reply with my mailing address. I'd appreciate a heads up by PM whenever you send your entry. I'll post the web page URL here sometime in the next couple of weeks.

#62 · (Edited)
Savage Model 3C Pictures

Here are some of the pictures of the model 3C that I received. Thanks again to all for contributing.

The biggest difference that I noticed between it and my 3D is the shape of the stock. I believe the correct term is flutes, but am not sure, - if you look at the top rear of the pistol grip one can notice a relieve cut into the stock. While only visible on one side they are on both sides of the stock. Also the pistol grip in general looks more streamline/flared and longer compared to my 3D.

So now we have pictures of a 3D and 3C posted. Two down and a few more to go - who knows maybe we will be able to get pics of all variants.

Regards,
Rob

#64 ·
Btt,

These rifles, or owners of them are unbeliveably difficult to find. Since this quest for information started I have hit local gun shows and asked others to look as well. So far no one has seen any model 3s out there.

Yesterday I did see a model 4 at the North Atlanta Trade Center gun show (An Eastman show). It was in really rough condition and stickered at $100. The stock looked oil soaked. Lots of minor pitting on the barrel and some on the receiver. Most of the original finish was also gone.

Rob

#66 ·
I have the missing gun!!! I have a plain old model 3, with no letter!. Its sitting here next to me. It was given to me a few months ago. It was in tired shape and was obviously loved for several lifetimes. When I got it, it was rusty and pitted, the original finish was all but gone, and the cocking knob was missing. Like you Rob, for some reason I had an imediate fondness for the old gun. First I took it out and fired it to make sure it still worked. Then, I'm afraid to say that I refinished EVERYTHING. Again, like you, I wanted a shooter, not a collectors piece. Now I'm sorry I did'nt take "before" pics. First I took the trigger mec. apart and the piece in the bolt that mates to it and polished them both. Now it has a great trigger. After that, I cold blued all of the steel parts on the gun. Then refinished the stock. Then I turned a new cocking knob out of a black plastic screw driver handle. And lastly, I'm ashamed to admit, I threw the metal butt plate in the trash and replaced it. It looks great now, but I'm bummed that I cant show it to you the way it came. In the short time since I aquired the gun, the rest of my .22 rifles have'nt seen any action and this #3 has burned up over a brick!! Its a GREAT shooter! Its late now, but I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow! Q

#67 ·
Please do. And some pics of the bolt alone please.
I've got a Springfield Single shot w/no (visible) model number that I've been trying to ID for over a year. (See "help ID this rifle" thread). Someone has suggested it may be a model 3. Besides the Chicopee Falls address and .22 S,L,LR, the only other markng is a number 14 w/a circle around it at the receiver end of the barrel.

#68 ·
Farstrat- Ironically, I was given a similar single shot bolt action from Springfield Arms with the model 3. They apear to be from the same erra. They are so much alike, that I can exchange the bolts. They both have cocking knobs and they both have the same trigger assembly etc. The stocks, however are different. If you'd like, I can provide side by side pics. Q

#72 ·
Captain Q - A Big Thanks for sharing pictures of your model 3! I am glad to see that someone has one of these rifles out there.

I wish I could help with you being able to post larger pictures, but am not too knowledgeable in that area. However, if you E mail me the pics you want to post I will gladly post them for you - I guess whatever I am doing I am doing right as the pics I have posted in the past seem to have come out all right. :) My e mail address is in my profile.

Would it be possible for you to take a semi close up picture of the receiver area? A picture of the barrel factory markings would also be great. Also what kind of hole's / hole spacing, if any, do you have on the left rear or side of your receiver? Could you also please confirm if your barrel length is 24 or 26 inches long. The stock re-finishing and cold bluing look good. I like the butt plate you put on and it, too bad you threw out the original metal one.

I am surprised that your stock's fore end does not have any finger grooves in it. As a matter of fact your stock looks very light in color to be Walnut, do you know if the wood is Walnut?

Regards,

Rob

#73 · (Edited)
We at last got the wife's model 3-no letter just 3 out and did a bit of shooting, (along with some of it's companions from the cabinet) after getting involved with the posts here,-it had been sitting un used for years,first in her parents wall rack,with 1/2 inch of dust, (it was her late father's gun)then cleaned up and in our cabinet.
No precise target shooting,just can popping,using a handy dead tree branch for a rest, to check the sights and some off hand shooting, it was very consistant-1 shot,-1 dead can,she did most of the shooting with it,kept me busy setting up cans in the sandbank !,her Marlin 25mn did nicely as well once the new scope was dialed in,and we found my plain jane Henry fits her well,and did a good job of can sniping,my old 10/22 did ok,but not as well as the old Savage, which was amazingly good-no targets to share,but many cans paid the ultimate price !
Next time I will have to drag out my 1st rifle,an old ( new when I got it) Stevens 15 b,it has had a long rest,but was always very accurate.

#74 ·
SAV 3 or 8 ????

I have been passing by this post for weeks. now i went out to the garage and ck'd my old wall hanger pest control Sav.It's stamped 3 or else the stamping was to a 8 and the stamp was broken out on the left side. I even ck'd it with a magnifiing glass it's not closed on the left to be an 8. The stock it came in is not the correct stock.I had to do some refitting for it to work. Nothing fancy but a real tight shooter.I noticed as your posts state 24" bbl. this one measures 22" to the bolt face and was not recut and crowned. Is there such a thing as a model 8 or do I have some wierd model 3. I bought it only because I was at an auction and didn't want to go home empty handed for the drive and it was only $40. AWESOME shooter but not much to look at. Here's the critter. you be the judge,
It has been retired to a quick grab garage pest control gun.:t --JMJ--

#77 ·
:t Thats what i traced the stock to probaby coming from. :t It was apparantly just stuck on the action to sell at the auction as the trigger wouldn't even work as it fit. I sanded some wood away from the bottom in the trigger area and redrilled the takedown lug & screw hole fwd about 1 1/2" and made a fit for it untill i could maybe stumble on to a correct stock cheap.. $40. was much for what I bought but it shoots the same hole in my basement 10 yd test trap so I won't sell it for what I paid. I have an addiction to old rimfires. Put a cheap lazer site on the bbl for pest control/plinking fun. always nice to have a cheap grabber gun handy.:D :D --JMJ--

#76 ·
Mossbergman Thanks for posting pics of your model 3. I have not heard of any model 3's coming from the factory with 22" barrels. Yours would be a first.

I do not have my Blue Book with me currently but am not aware of a Savage single shot bolt action .22RF rifle in a model 8 designation - looks like your stamp was just applied heavily and it could be mis interpreted as a number 8 instead of the 3, I am pretty sure it is.

Looking at the left side of your rifle's receiver I can not see any type of scope mount / receiver sight holes. Does your receiver have any holes drilled and tapped there?

Regards, and thanks for helping with this project.

Rob

#78 · (Edited)
Your correct ,there are no scope mtg' holes or aperture mtg' hole drilled into the receiver. Strange model. what ever it came from it's a shooter.It almost looks like a cross between the Stevens 15 ,the stock looks like the 15 and the bbl lenght would be correct.BUT that stock didn't fit the action./could it be a 15 bolt and stock in a Model 3 action??? I never tried to dig up much on it. this post got me interested again. had it for yrs.--JMJ-- ??I also have an old Sav 63 mannlicher s.shot. alsways listed as a 63K (keylok) but i 've found no provision for such on the gun? kinda a neat little rifle (I'm a mannlicher nut)

#79 ·
Mossbergman - One other thing I just noticed from looking at your rifles pictures is that the bolt does not appear to be chrome plated at all. Is there any evidence of chrome plating in the past?

If there is none I am wondering if someone may have removed it to re finish the rifle. That and maybe cut the barrel down to the 22" you referenced. IMO a 22" barrel on one of these vintage guns would be real unusual. It seems like every older gun I see out there has at least a 24" barrel and most 26" ones.

One the other hand, possibly you got one of the VERY early models where they were experimenting still and it is all original – in that case you would be the proud owner of a very unique and limited rifle.

Rob

#86 ·
Mossbergman - One other thing I just noticed from looking at your rifles pictures is that the bolt does not appear to be chrome plated at all. Is there any evidence of chrome plating in the past?

Rob
OOPS!! forgot to address the bolt question.It doesn't appear to have ever been plated, This doesn't mean some one may not have had it done over. That would seem like alot of hassle for an old SS rifle? :t --JMJ--

#80 · (Edited)
Rob, I'm not sure ,but i have a plenty old rimfires and this one sdon't appear to have been recrowned here's a pic .(not the best) the plum /brn patinia in included on the crown face
I guess anything possibale, but it just appeared original to my old eyes. It also has the palstic butt palte .would the not the first ones have been steel?
I'm still wondering about the 3/15 crossbreed. --JMJ--

#83 ·
Does the bolt look original to you. Your thre #3 expert. IdF in fact I do have a odd man out rifle i'll sure search for a early stock for it. The thought of the plastic butt plate .DUH !!what was i thinking that was on the 15 stock ,i'm coming off two nites of little sleep, my backs been working me over .Sorry about that.:eek: --JMJ--

#85 ·
The last I knew the 15's wern't collectors items,or very pricey,the one I gave away cost me in pretty good shape around $80. the stock had a little of the finish rubbed off,and so was refinished by me. they don't cock by themselves like the 3 ,but have to have the hammer pulled back when ready to shoot, if done in haste causing the click heard around the world!,the combination looks darn nice,so if it shoots well,and looks good,that's what counts,and might cause a little head scratching,by onlookers.
I had a car once that used to get 2nd and 3rd looks-about a '64 Dodge 2dr hardtop from the front of the doors back,with a plymouth nose (the body lines where they met matched),and all corp. emblems and lettering had been removed and filled, was fun to watch the odd looks !

#87 ·
First and foremost another BIG THANKS for all the contribution to this thread! :bthumb: :bthumb:

Below are graciously donated pictures by thread contributor Captain Q, of the Savage model 3 he posted about previously.

The comparison rifle / rifle bolt, in the pic with the model 3 is a Sringfield Arms single shot rifle ( I am going to PM the good Capn' and see what model number it is - I will post the answer here).

As can be seen the cocking knob on the model 3 bolt is not OEM, it is a home made replacement.

#166 ·
Here is a Bolt from a Springfield 52. Note that it looks like the Springfield bolt.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of a savage Model 3 that looks the same as the one in the Savage 1931 Catalogue. It looks very similar to the Springfield that the bolt came from.
[/URL][/IMG]
It would appear that the Savage Model 3 line was developed from the Springfield/Stevens 52 (1931 improved design) or 53 which were the same except for a slight difference in dimensions. Perhaps one of these are the rifle pictured in 1930 and described as having a 22" barrel and 39 1/2" OAL?
[/URL][/IMG]

#89 ·
Ok, I am going to make some predictions / observations at this point about the general configurations of model 3 rifles.

1. Some (early) model 3's came from the factory with 22" barrels - if true this would be something not recorded in any of the standard references. (If the e mail that I am sending Captain Q confirms his barrel length is 22" long that only re-inforces this view)

2. Probably these same guns or other early model 3's did not come with factory chrome plated bolts or triggers.

So there, I've said it.

Regards,
Rob