Model 60 dry? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 60 dry?

Does anyone shoot their model 60 with no lube? Seems like with the right ammo (CCI?) this would really cut down on fouling, if it would function without harming the rifle.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Deltaboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NO NO NO NO
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM
grampi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 511 View Post
Does anyone shoot their model 60 with no lube? Seems like with the right ammo (CCI?) this would really cut down on fouling, if it would function without harming the rifle.
You don't want to go with no lube, but the trick is finding out just how little you can use. Obviously, the less you use, the less crud will be attracted to the moving parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 02:44 PM
dangerranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
there are several companys that sell dry lube just for that reason. Ive tryed Rem Dri Lube and am pretty happy with it. I started with it because I live in an area that is hot , dry, and dusty for about 9 mo of the year. and oils just collect dirt. the first thing I noticed was that the action didnt collect fouling and crude.now when I clean I can just blow out the action with compressed air to remove "most" of the gunk. I just have to be very careful not to allow any solvents to run into the action while cleaning the barrel or I have to completely clean the action and dry it before relubing it. the only thing I dont know is how well it will protect against rust. but as dry as it is here thats not been a problem. DR.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
shooter05
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have found that using lubricated ammo does clog mine up. I shoot lots of cheap bulk ammo and it loves it. If I buy the good lubricated ammo it seems to jam up.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You should not shoot any gun dry. If it's metal and it moves, it needs to be lubricated. The trick is to use the right lube. Try a dry lube such as Hoppe's dry lube, Remington Dri-lube or White Lightning bicycle chain lube.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
pmullineaux

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, the trick on the 60's is allways to find the happy medium. I like a thin oil, I mean really thin. Remoil is actually pretty thin, I also like any electronics oil I can find out there.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 60 dry?

Thanks for your opinions on this. I decided to try using the minimum amount of lube that'll work and Winchester Dynapoints which seem to have no lube on them and shot well in this rifle. Applied a very small amount of Breakfree CLP on all areas in reciever and on bolt that showed wear. So far ( 100 rounds) no problems. I'm thinking of shooting it without further cleaning till it fails to function or a thousand rounds just to see how far it'll go.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
specter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
After I polished the bolt and internals of the receiver, I have been able to get nearly 1500 rounds through my 60 before it begins to malfunction and need cleaning. I polished the parts with 600-800 grit sandpaper then applied a very thin film of lube using a q-tip. I get very little crud accumulated in the receiver so my main crud is all the carbon buildup right around the breech.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Mads man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine doesn't like too much lube, but it does need a little bit. So far, a squirt of "Kroil" works really good.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM
woad_yurt
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dangerranger:
I took your advice and got a can of the dry lube, one made by PB Blaster. The stuff is magnificent! The soot and dirt fall right off of it! It's my new religion. Thank you.

To everyone else:
Try what he said. It work great.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Mads man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where did you get the stuff made by PB?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
97% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
You should not shoot any gun dry. If it's metal and it moves, it needs to be lubricated. The trick is to use the right lube. Try a dry lube such as Hoppe's dry lube, Remington Dri-lube or White Lightning bicycle chain lube.
My ex-wife is a ranked triathlete, and I always wondered about white lightning as a gun lube. Great minds think alike ;-)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 AM
woodchuckssuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send a message via AIM to woodchuckssuck
CorrosionX for guns is the best ive used so far. Needs very little to keep them running good. Rem-oil is OK...for squeeky door hinges. I used to use it, like a lot of folks do...I went through bottle after bottle, and since switching to corrosionX I use a LOT less oil. my current 4oz bottle has been in use for 2 years now and its still well over half full... I went through about 8 oz of rem oil liquid, and a few aeresol cans in 2 years prior. Rem oil is really really thin.

ive also tried a dry moly lube...it worked but was MESSY to apply.

and I am in no way shape or form connected to CorrosionX. Just a great product that im a permanent user of
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
munk1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also use corrosionx.....i just put some on my fingers and rube it on whatever parts i think need it......i think one place it works really well is inside the back of the bolt were the bolt spring goes.