Volquartsen 17 WSM discontinued - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Macc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)

I had the money set aside for the Summit in WSM...even stopped in to see Scott when traveling across the country and was close to Carroll, IA, but it was a Saturday and VQ was closed. Seriously thinking about adding another 527 to the fold in 17 Hornet now. It's probably too late (or early) to hold out hope for a 527 in WSM.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Ryedog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If anyone is still looking, Volquartsen has a few on their clearance page (a Classic, a Deluxe and an IF-5). Looks like pretty good discounts.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:59 PM
outdoorsdad

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I'm thinkin' there is/was still demand as they don't show on the clearance page any longer.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:01 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
2 of the three sold first day, last sold 2 days later.

Lots of demand, just limited production. Watching gun broker they could have listed the and sold them way over msrp.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Ryedog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple of lightweight 17 WSM have been added to the clearance page today.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:51 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ryedog

They didn't last the weekend, and the ones they put op today are going fast....

Did my part....
Old 12-07-2020, 05:22 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I just did my part as well! They still show several in the clearance pile.

TBR
Old 12-07-2020, 08:16 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Wowza they added an if 5 and another classic McMillan. Wish they would blowout a McMillan 22 wmr ultralight....my winter would be complete...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Ryedog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Ryedog

They didn't last the weekend, and the ones they put op today are going fast....

Did my part....
Pick up a lightweight?
Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Maybe.....

Was a hard sell at 7 lbds for 2400....but at the price it was at.... 7lbds will do just fine. Wrap anything in a McMillan and I'm a sucker for it....
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I picked up an IF-5 with a laminate stock for $1300 and change. Probably has the “moderate” wear they mention, but I care not. The perfect rimfire needle blower PD sniper rifle. Other than the Franklin, there is not another 250-yard, Hornet-class semiauto rifle I’m aware of. Not sure I understand the advantage of the forward blow compensator...maybe it’s quieter from the shooter’s position.

TBR
Old 12-07-2020, 10:38 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I picked up an IF-5 with a laminate stock for $1300 and change. Probably has the “moderate” wear they mention, but I care not. The perfect rimfire needle blower PD sniper rifle. Other than the Franklin, there is not another 250-yard, Hornet-class semiauto rifle I’m aware of. Not sure I understand the advantage of the forward blow compensator...maybe it’s quieter from the shooter’s position.

TBR
Compensator will come off immediately and be replaced with a thread protector on mine. Mine was 15 and change to Alaska with a McMillan, so I'm happy. Ruger 77s are going stupid high these days, and an autolader will rock for small predators.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:03 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Yes, not a big fan of compensators or fluting. I also doubt the claims of enhanced rigidity and cooling from the relatively shallow fluting. I think it mostly just looks cool. Now, much deeper flutes would be a different story on weight and cooling surface area, but removing material will always reduce rigidity. The rigidity enhancement would be for barrels of equal weight and length, so the rigidity of the larger diameter fluted barrel could be superior to a smaller diameter barrel with no fluting but with equal weight.

I guess the thought on the forward blow is it will be quieter to the shooter but still offer a bit of reduction in muzzle movement. My previous VQ .17 WSM with no fluting weighed 12 lbs+ with scope and rings, and I don't recall much movement at all...just pull trigger and see immediate impact...I was amazed at the velocity from this rimfire. I also remember the rather lethargic bolt movement. It seemed like I would feel and hear the bolt come back into battery way after I saw the bullet impact...almost eerie. Still, it always functioned perfectly for me with 20 or 25 grain ammunition.

I am convinced VQ chose to err on the safe side with a too heavy bolt to avoid KaBooms, even at the risk of some compromise of function....which was just fine with me, but I can just hear the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth from someone here who paid nearly $2000 for a rifle and had a couple of functioning hic ups.

Anyway, hope to have the VQ IF-5 soon. I ended up raising a bit more money than I needed to fund my upgraded machine shop, so the timing on the clearance rifles was perfect. I still retained all my inventory of .17 WSM ammunition left over from previous .17 WSM rifle acquisitions, so I am good to go.

TBR
Old 12-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My VQ forward blow comp weighs almost 6oz. and shoots a mite better on my Rem 597-22 VQ carbon fiber tensioned aftermarket 16.5"? barrel.
It does help a bit with report and one might guess more so on a 17WSM.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:35 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
CONGRATS!
Sounds like you all did well with Volquartsen’s clearance of there WSMs. I wish Volquartsen hadn’t decided to stop production, but they know what is best for their bottom line and l just feel fortunate to have gotten mine when l had the chance.

Wonderdog1