Scoping a 341 Sportmaster - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scoping a 341 Sportmaster

I have a 341 Sportmaster, bought new by my Grandad and passed down to my Dad, then to me. I've decided I want to add a scope and need some guidance.

Mount: Which way to go? I'll have to get the gun drilled and tapped for any choice, so that's not a deciding factor.
  • I can get the Weaver N3 side mount, but that will restrict me to 3/4" scopes. However, it would be the most period-correct looking mount.
  • The Weaver detachable side mount base and rings would let me go with 3/4" or 1" scopes. It looks pretty good, too, IMO.
  • The Weaver top mount bases would let me use whatever rings and scope combo I want, but I worry about clearance issues for the bolt handle.

Scope: I want something in the 2-7 or 3-9 power range. Thoughts on 3/4" vs 1" tubes? There seems to be a lot more variety and quality available in 1". I considered getting a rebuilt vintage scope, but I don't want to spend $300 on this scope.

Thoughts? Advice? Pics of your own setup?

Last edited by WarhammerRex; 11-10-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:20 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glue some weaver #12 blocks to the top of the receiver. Use Black Loctite it'll come loose with some heat and never mark the rifle. I'd spring for a used Leupold 2-7x rimfire scope, they are dainty and look 'right' on a classic .22 rifle! Neat story!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:08 AM
noelekal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like FlysAlot's suggestion.

If the rifle's usefulness may be extended through equipping with a scope without altering and marring it, then I like the notion. The neato Model 341 was only made a few years and while quite a few were turned out during its time, the model is scarcely seen today.

Having one's cake and eating it too appeals in this instance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2020, 01:53 PM
1984Landcruiser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also agree that you don't want to drill and tap this rifle. Go with the glue on mounts if you must, but the rifle will hold far more value if it is unmolested. I recently restored a 341-P that had been drilled and tapped for a Weaver side mount (there's a post on this forum about that). Or if you are intent on scoping something, grab an old Remington 550-1 that already has a grooved receiver.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the advice!

I've never heard of gluing on scope bases. Will they stay put well enough to keep the scope zeroed? Is this something a gunsmith would know about and be willing to do, or is it strictly a homebrew sort of thing? I've never bee afraid to modify a gun, but there is an appeal to leaving this particular rifle unaltered.

I agree about the scope as well. I don't want some big honking tube on top of such a svelte rifle.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in the glue on camp also. While the scope could get knocked loose there are many on here who have successfully used this method for a number of years.

Is a gunsmith going to recommend this I don't think so. He makes his money drilling and tapping.

Finally will the scope retain zero. Most certainly if care is taken when installing the mounts and reasonable care is taken in gun handling.

John
Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with FlysAlot, but I would glue on a rail rather than individual scope bases. It's a lot easier to get a rail on straight. Supposedly, you can also use Shoe Goo adhesive and it comes off with acetone.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:44 PM
dustoffer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
If I was gonna glue on mounts, I would put the rings on the scope and attach the base(s) to the rings and tighten before I did any gluing. That way you can tinker with the exact spot you want the scope to be and not have to re-do if it doesn't come out right from your initial placement. And, before I would drill and tap it, i would look into having a 'smith groove the receiver.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I glued bases on my Winchester 61 pump 3 or 4 years ago with Loctite Black Max super glue. Mounted small scope. Rifle mostly sits in safe. Still holding on just fine. No way I would trust it with an expensive scope while shooting over concrete or hunting in the rocks.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, after much thought I've decided to leave this little gun scopeless. I'm going to add a dot of orange sight paint to the front sight and continue to enjoy it as I have since I was 8 years old. I'll buy another .22 to scope up, maybe it's time I finally pick up a 10/22.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With out help I think a 10/22 will have a hard time keeping up with the old 341.

John
Old 11-13-2020, 01:37 AM
1984Landcruiser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like a good plan! I love these old model 341s more than any .22 rifle ever made. Itís neat to think how your descendants will enjoy that rifle in its original state just like you have! My grandson has one of these with his name on it, and he is only 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 07:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
With out help I think a 10/22 will have a hard time keeping up with the old 341.

John
I'm sure you're right. The Ruger will just be for grins. The 341 is more accurate than it has any right to be. Plus, most don't know that it's actually a take-down rifle, from WAY before the current take-down craze.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found a good price on a Thompson/Center TCR-22 from and ordered it yesterday. $329 with a $25 rebate from T/C. It's basically a 10/22 clone, but with a built-in Picatinny rail, peep sight, extended bolt handle, threaded barrel and Magpul stock already installed. They had the green one, too, but the Mossy Oak version was $30 cheaper.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/217767

Last edited by WarhammerRex; 11-21-2020 at 10:12 PM.