Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sighting in red dot distances

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GB22lr 
#1 ·
HI What is the best distance to zero the TA M4-22 with a red dot. Most shooting will be target/plinking and maybe rabbits. I have read anywhere from 10 25 and 50 yards so i'm a bit confused.
Thanks John

#3 ·
Good question. Typical 22lr HOB is about 1.5" with a scope or red dot but the AR style rifles are 2.6" which makes a big difference. I like to zero a normal scope or red dot at 1" high at 50 yards. This gives you the flattest trajectory to about 75 yards with HV ammo. Different ammo different results. The extra 1.1" makes it a new ball game. I have my 15-22 sighted to zero at 50 yards with HV. Our range is 50 and 100 yards. I have noticed holdover is less at 100 yards with the 15-22. At close range you will be a couple of inches low. I take my 15-22 to the pistol range and shoot from 5-30 yards on silhouette targets and always have to aim high. Same with the AR15. I sight it in at 50 yards which is close to zero at 200 yards and about 6" low at 300 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.