Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
SerenityNetworks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Help me decide on a red dot

I've been looking at getting a red dot for an AR platform (a .22 and or a .223/5.56). If it's on a .22 it will be for plinking, not hunting. If on a .223 it will be for hogs and plinking. I have limited experience with red dots, so I'd appreciate some input. I definitely want one with a dot no larger than 3 MOA. I do want some degree of accuracy, even on a tactical platform. I'm not overly concerned with how flip up sights are accommodated. I would prefer 0.25 MOA adjustments, but I can live with 0.5. I need to check on the adjustment level for each of these. The following have caught my eye, have good reviews that I've seen, so I'm looking for information/considerations that will help me make up my mind.

HOLOSUN HS403A Micro Red Dot Sight (2 MOA) with AR Riser $160. Lower 1/3 height mount. Good price point and solid reviews.

HOLOSUN Infiniti Red Dot Sight and Laser Sight $199. Hmmm. Sight and laser at the same price point as the Sparc II. Hmmm.

Vortex SPARC AR Red Dot Rifle Scope $185. A decent price point and I LOVE Vortex. But I can't really take it off and put it on a non-AR platform.

Vortex Optics Sparc II 2 MOA Red Dot Sight (SPC-402) $200. Pricey for me. But I love Vortex. Still, if I'm going to spend $200 then why not go with the Holosun and get a laser included?

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope $74! 3 MOA, but still it's only $74! Click value definitely 0.5. Solid reviews and a butt load have been sold.

So I'm torn. I love Vortex, but I can get either a Holosun with a laser for the same price, or a plain 2 MOA dot for $40 less. Or I can go for $125 less and get the Bushnell. Even with the coarser 3 MOA dot and possibly wanting to pick up a riser, I'm finding it hard to justify something more expensive than the Bushnell. And yes, I know you get what you pay for; still...

Help!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 PM
camilof

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello i only have the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot, i read a lot before buy a red dot, and it was the most cheap option.
I put it in my smith wesson .38 and it hold the zero after 200 shots. After that
I put it in my old anschutz and i like it. I can hit 3" targets at 50 targets very easy. I like that it has a very smal dot (3 moa). Smalls targets at 50 yards like soda cans are easy.
8" bont at 100 yards to 8" is very easy, to be honest I really like it.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Love my TRS-25, performs like a $200 tool.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Bozz10mm
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Bushnell TRS-25 is a good one. Also, check at Primary Arms. They have some really good red dots too. Particularly, this one:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ry-life-md-ads
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I really like my C-more. Infinite brightness adjustment and the option to change dot size if what I bought doesn't meet all my needs. Extremely clear, durable, and reliable. And when I was competing, almost 50% of the shooters had at least one of their guns wearing a C-more.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:16 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
I have an M&P 15-22 and an M&P 15. The 15-22 wears a Mueller Speed Shot and the M&P 15 wears a Vortex Strike Eagle.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:56 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just went through this last week for a standard AR. Back and forth, over and over. I went with the Sightmark M-spec, but in the end, just because I decided I wanted that style of sight (and the other Sightmark ultra shot I had previously performed well before I sold it for a standard scope).

Now, had I chosen to go with a small tube red dot, I'd have gotten the Sparc II. And I'd have got it on Ebay for a better price. There were a few, but this is the one I just happened to have tagged in the watch list. Also looked at the Sig Romeo5, but would have gone with the Sparc II still.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-SPARC...QAAOSwT4lWS02z
Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
On another note, think of whether you would ever really use the laser. The previous sightmark I had was the one with the hokey laser on the side. It was neat, a few times. I never used it for anything. It just added weight and bulk to that sight.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
while i cant use red dots (astigmatism) i do own a vortex spitfire 1x and really like it. being a prism optic with an etched reticle it works great with astigmatism. but as an optic and not a red dot it has an eye relief of about 3 to 7 inches so its more like a 1x scope.

the one other thing to consider is warranty, all vortex optics have a VIP lifetime warranty. i have heard mostly good things about holosun but i believe they do not give you a lifetime warranty. and i did own a bushnell trs-25 for a short time but sold it because of my eye issue but its still working for the buddy i sold it to years later. but they also don't offer a lifetime warranty either.

3 of my AR's have 1-4x scopes on them with etched illuminated dot reticles of some type and those work as red dots for me with the advantage of having magnification if needed.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 AM
edapp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Holosun micro (cant recall the model number) mounted on my AR and love it. Size is great, it just has the small center dot (not the circle reticle) and the solar panel on top. Can run solar only, always on, or on/off. Battery life i believe is approx 2 years if left always on which i do. The solar panel is a feature i suggest you look into because it will automatically adjust the dot brightness for your environment. Outside on a bright day and the dot gets brighter, inside or out at night and the dot is dim but easy to see. Paid $199 for mine and will probably end up with more..
Old 01-27-2017, 07:41 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a TRS-25 on my FAL... and a Primary Arms 2moa dot that I move between a Ruger Mk II and a 10/22...

If I buy a 3rd dot, I won't bother looking further than the TRS-25....
Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The answer to anything red dot is always 1 inch ultradot.

I zeroed one at 37 yards on 308 AR carbine. It held the x ring at 200. The dot is the same size as the SR bull at that distance. They say the dot is 4MOA but if the bull is 13 inches its probably bigger.

If you stick one on a rifle you pretty much have live to with setting it up for point blank range. 0-175 yards with .308 or .223. Because the adjustments are 1MOA it works out to 2 inches a click at 200 so there's not a lot of fine adjustment.

The parallax is set for 50 but if you have a consistent head position it's not going to make any difference within 200 yards.

The dot size is probably not that critical because the way you shoot them is to watch the target with both eyes open and bring the dot to the target.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM
desmobob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two Vortex Venoms that I really like a lot. My next red dot (for an AR) will probably be the Vortex Spitfire with the etched reticle. I have slight astigmatism and sometimes red dot sights really frustrate me. I am REALLY tempted to get the Spark though...

Anyway, the Vortex products seem to be rock-solid, and their warranty is well-known to be the same.

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 01-27-2017, 04:42 PM
jm10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I really like the ultradots, got several of them.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
SerenityNetworks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Thank you folks. Lots of good information and input posted.

I ended up just purchasing the Bushnell. I like shooting irons (the peep variety) or scopes for my long distance rifles. I'm thinking the Bushnell will give me exposure the red dot devices without a lot of investment. If I don't like them then I can sell it or just retire it without a fortune lost. If I like them then I can consider upgrading later, if needed. The Bushnell may serve my needs just fine. I'm not putting it on a tack driver.

Thank you all again for the input.

Andrew