Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 3492 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:08 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well...

Well finally got myself out in the woods to do a bit of squirrel hunting. Went Friday evening and all day Saturday. Talk about slow. Saw a total of 3 squirrels Friday evening in an hour and a half hunt, and a grand sum total of 2 squirrels ALL DAY Saturday. All squirrels were seen late in the day, and all of the squirrels were in their dens and came out for a snack before bedtime. Well that is my guess anyway!!! No squirrels were seen on the ground which is really where I expected to see them. Saturday I only saw a few birds in the woods in the morning and that was it. Napped in the truck from noon to 4, then got back out for 2 hours or so in the evening. The two squirrels showed themselves 5:15 or so and they came out of the same tree. Seemed like a repeat of Friday evenings hunt.
For those of you that have been holding onto the Remington and Eley 17 Mach2, good news... the 4 rounds of Eley that I shot had no split necks or any other visible defects after firing. Yes I know, that is an awful small sample but it is all I shot, and yes they have been stored in a cool dry place, and will continue to be stored that way!!! Rifle is a Mossberg 140K that I relined to 17 Mach2 if you are wondering. So at least I have enough squirrels to make a nice pot of soup, which is my favorite way to eat squirrel!!!
Lucky for me the Virginia season runs to the end of February!!! So hopefully I will be able to get out chasing squirrels a few more times before the season ends. Been doing too much deer hunting and I have been ignoring the squirrels.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:51 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, at least you have SOME good news, Frank! You have an "A" for effort, too.

This is a tough time to hunt because as you know, there are often only small windows of opportunity for hunting squirrels. I think you done good.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:15 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jane View Post
:We saw 7 fly across the road on our way to Port Huron yesterday--that's kinda scarey really--I sure wouldn't want one of those big gobblers hitting my windsheild--Dad knows a guy that had his arm resting out of the window while driving down the road and a turkey flew up and hit him--breaking his arm, he was lucky, I guess there's been a few worse than that.
On hitting turkeys with your car... A few years ago, my wife was travelling a highway near home and a turkey flew into the windshield of her SUV shattering the glass and scaring the doodoo out of her. She pulled over and a few moments later a State Trooper stopped to provide assistance. She was pacing back and forth trying to call the local funeral home (She does photo editing and memorial cards for them) to let them know she would be late arriving. She could not get a cell signal and started crying. The state policeman asked her want is wrong and she sobbed, "I am trying to call the coroner at the funeral home and I can't reach him... sniff"

The cop was somewhat taken aback and exclaimed, "For God's sake lady, it's just a Turkey!"

P.S. I am a terrible cook but am skilled at pouring "Mother's Milk" for any and all who care to partake. Just bring a glass and stop by the pub at our campsite.

Last edited by JG26_Irish; 02-03-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Well finally got myself out in the woods to do a bit of squirrel hunting. Went Friday evening and all day Saturday. Talk about slow. Saw a total of 3 squirrels Friday evening in an hour and a half hunt, and a grand sum total of 2 squirrels ALL DAY Saturday. All squirrels were seen late in the day, and all of the squirrels were in their dens and came out for a snack before bedtime. Well that is my guess anyway!!! No squirrels were seen on the ground which is really where I expected to see them. Saturday I only saw a few birds in the woods in the morning and that was it. Napped in the truck from noon to 4, then got back out for 2 hours or so in the evening. The two squirrels showed themselves 5:15 or so and they came out of the same tree. Seemed like a repeat of Friday evenings hunt.
For those of you that have been holding onto the Remington and Eley 17 Mach2, good news... the 4 rounds of Eley that I shot had no split necks or any other visible defects after firing. Yes I know, that is an awful small sample but it is all I shot, and yes they have been stored in a cool dry place, and will continue to be stored that way!!! Rifle is a Mossberg 140K that I relined to 17 Mach2 if you are wondering. So at least I have enough squirrels to make a nice pot of soup, which is my favorite way to eat squirrel!!!
Lucky for me the Virginia season runs to the end of February!!! So hopefully I will be able to get out chasing squirrels a few more times before the season ends. Been doing too much deer hunting and I have been ignoring the squirrels.
God Bless, Frank.
Good to know, tfrank. I still haven't opened my case of M2 that I got from you. Still stored in humidity and temp controlled environment, though, so I know it'll be good when I'm ready to use it.
Crow Feather
Old 02-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Splashed all 3 from the same tree with the .410

Old 02-08-2020, 03:47 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
Splashed all 3 from the same tree with the .410

How far were those squirrels when you shot them Silas?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About 20 yards. It wasn't until I shot the first one that I realized there were a bunch in the same tree.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Good job on them.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:32 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson View Post
Good job on them.
Yeah on that!

Our season closed last month.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Yeah on that!

Our season closed last month.
I have until the end of Feb!!! Then June 1 for Spring season.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tfrank, you described my last three days in the SE Pennsylvania woods. Good news was there are more nests this year and I saw glimpses of a few more squirrels as well. They were also way up in the canopy and none presented a safe shot. Although, it was nearly impossible to be stealthy with my new pup racing to and fro. Late in the afternoon I was able to get her to settle down on my lap for about 30 to 40 minutes. I did hear some squacks about 150 to 200 yards off, but none of the bunch in the canopy near me showed themselves. Still, a good few afternoon's in the woods. Like you I have the rest of February to try again.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:38 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Happy Birthday Old Hickory!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Well, Happy Birthday Old Hick! I wish you many more in good health.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 AM
obxjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best Squirrel Recipe

Anybody here ever "sous vide" a squirrel?

Cooking in a plastic bag for 10 hours in 167 degree water and then deep frying in a Tempura batter and paired with a tangy sauce turned out to be the not just the best squirrel I've had, but one of the best meals period. It's tender and juicy, crunchy outside, melt in your mouth inside, and very flavorful. I'd pay $50 at a fancy restaurant for it, and my wife who until now didn't like squirrel, actually asked for seconds.

Here's the recipe

Hope I can convince someone else to go through the effort to try it. I'm going to hunt every day until the close of the season at the end of the month so I can stock up and make more.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the grand birthday wishes, fellas!