2020 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2020 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread

Tree squirrel season has ended. But, today I spied the my first Groundhog of 2020 and boy, was it a big one. Time to sight the 22mag in.

Tomorrow will be another unusually warm day in the Northeast. Plus, my son is home for spring break. It should be a high of 70 tomorrow. My office may just have to close early to take advantage of tomorrow's forcast. I'm having visions of many late afternoon walks in some prime Pennsylvania fields.

I wonder who will be the first to bag one?
Old 03-08-2020, 05:39 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I already have one. North Al, bagged him on 3-5-20. 150 yds +-, with an old Stevens 22 Hornet bolt action Mod 322 A with a 6 X scope.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
I already have one. North Al, bagged him on 3-5-20. 150 yds +-, with an old Stevens 22 Hornet bolt action Mod 322 A with a 6 X scope.
Very nice! I'm sure that set up is a very effective groundhog slayer, but any with a rimfire rig yet?

Curious, do they even hybernate in Alabama?

Last edited by Bradical; 03-08-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got my first one this morning with my Kidd ULW barreled Ruger 10/22, 3-9x Sweet 22, suppressor, and CCI SV with a 0.130 flat point (Waltz die). Found the off-switch through the left eye.

Theres a mom and two more young ones living in my back yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 192695DC-13B1-463B-8D29-D3A3EB4889C4.jpg (608.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Waltz Die makes all the difference.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a little gal. Nice shooting!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
That's a little gal. Nice shooting!
I'm astounded that you can tell that its a female!!! How did you discern that without looking at her private bits?!

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I'm astounded that you can tell that its a female!!! How did you discern that without looking at her private bits?!

Thanks for the compliment!
Look at her face. She's way better looking than the males.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:37 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pretty cool looking rig great shot!!!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Look at her face. She's way better looking than the males.
Haha haha! Thanks for the laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
Pretty cool looking rig great shot!!!
Thanks. Its pretty basic, aside from the Kidd barrel, and Im thinking about getting a nicer stock, but I like it!
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Hogan1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Attila, nice shooting! I have been helping a farmer friend thin out his population. He seems happier with every one taken. Nice rifle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I forgot to post my first kill of the season taken May 23rd It's one to remember too ... offhand 114 yard shot through the face. Mossberg 640K w/Nikon ProStaff 3x9x40 .22WMR CCI MAXI-MAG HP.

Which with Eika (My GSP) along catching them out has been a real challenge since she sprints out in front - to find a bird or anything - and puts all the groundhogs safely back in their holes. Well today, I was approaching this field from the north and up from a creek bed. As I came up into the field and the slope starts to level out I spy what could be a branch sticking up out of the grass or a groundhog about 120 yards to the left. I glass it and confirm - groundhog. Fortunately, Eika is getting better at a quite "whoa" and coming to heal. With Eika I don't have time to set things up as I'd like so I dial in my guesstimate added elevation (+4 clicks) and take an off-hand center mass point of aim. I caught her through the left front tooth and out her snout. As I approached, keeping Eika at heal to see if I actually connected, I spy her trying to crawl off. A center mass shot about 25 yards away from my Single Six stopped her escape. Then a quick one to the head mercifully ended it. I hung my backpack up on my shooting sticks and went back to where a took the shot and laser ranged it to 114 yards.
[IMG][/IMG]

In this full size image you can see the exit wound out the side of her snout. Wish it passed through a little better, but I owe it to the soybean farmer to just killem' best I can.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bradical; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Great shot!!!

Great shot!!! Reminds me of a shot I did... oh about 45 years ago, somewhere close to 1974/75!!! I was walking a barbwire fence line and I spot this groundhog out in the middle of a freshly mowed hay field. I estimated about a 100 yards. Used a fence post to help steady the shot, held about 4" high and slowly squeezed off the shot. The groundhog just collapsed and was still. I think it was 112 paces so probably just past 100 yards. I just happen to be using a Mossberg also, a semi-auto Model 353. Found the bullet just under the skin just above the eyes, but the groundhog had been facing directly away from me. Found the entrance hole at the back of the skull, so the bullet traveled along the skull under the skin. When I recovered the bullet it was deformed just a bit. Really too long of a shot for a 22 LR but what does a 20 something know about that. Got 5 groundhogs that day, autopsied every one and recovered every bullet. Still have them, too!!! That hunt was one of the last ones before development started. Well at least I still have the memories!!! Thanks for helping me recall that one!!! LOTS of great memories from that period of time.
God Bless, Frank.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's awesome, tfrank. And with a 22LR! Just like it was yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

Thankfully these farms I hunt are both "Preserved Farmland" and can not end up in a developer's cross hairs.
Old Today, 09:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Got the mom this morning. CCI SV went in through the right cheek and out the left ear. I think shes the last one Ill get this year. The other two youngins seem to have moved out just last week, so I was too late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A77FF089-8962-4DA3-8D6A-5AFA7FEE1FF5.jpg (619.3 KB, 1 views)