Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
McSull
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Scope suggestion for Henry H001 Youth

I recently bought a used Henry H001Y. It came with a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x?. I took the scope off as soon as I go it home. I would like to put a scope on this tiny gun (33" overall/ 4.5 lbs)but not the Pronghorn. What I'm looking for a fixed power or low power variable. There are plenty out there but they all would look ridiculous on this gun(way too long). I bought the youth model for a couple of reasons. First is, it's small and light. I'd like to take it backpacking with me, and when backpacking every ounce counts. Second it was pretty cheap and in good shape.
My question is, does anyone know of a decent quality very small scope out there. I'd like to keep it under 8 inches if I could. I've seen some that fit my description but they were all tactical. I'd like a more classic hunting look if possible. Also I'd like to only have a bell on the eyepiece, not one on the objective lens end, although this want is the first I'd give up to get everything else I want.
Also not looking for peep sights. I have a '67 Golden Mountie with peep sights. I'd like this one to have a scope.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
xhair1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am looking into scoping my Henry as well just can't make up my mind.
Have you seen the Leupold rimfire scopes yet? It sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I have a Leupold 2-7X28 on my H001L which is the same as the youth except for an extra inch in LOP and of course the large loop. The Leupold 4X28 is a good fit also. Small scopes that look good on a lever gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSull View Post
My question is, does anyone know of a decent quality very small scope out there. I'd like to keep it under 8 inches if I could. I've seen some that fit my description but they were all tactical. I'd like a more classic hunting look if possible. Also I'd like to only have a bell on the eyepiece, not one on the objective lens end, although this want is the first I'd give up to get everything else I want.
Also not looking for peep sights. I have a '67 Golden Mountie with peep sights. I'd like this one to have a scope.
Getting a quality scope at 8 inches or under is a tough one.

If your looking for a small scope, I usually consider Leupold Ultralight first. There are some small scopes in the Burris Timberline series, although they tend to have smaller FOV and adjustment ranges than the Leupolds.

The no-bell scopes are probably the smallest.

Example:
1. Leupold VXI 1-4x20 at 9.2 inches long.
2. FXII Leupold 2.5x20 Ultralight at 8 inches, the only Leupold non-pistol scope at 8 inches or less.
3. Burris Timberline 4x20, at 8.4 inches long
4. Weaver V3 (1-3X20) at 9.1 inches long

JEE has owned several small scopes (Burris and Leupolds) and might be along with some with some pictures.

Natchez use to sell the Weaver 4x32 Shotgun for $79 (currently listed $245) , it is a 9 inch scope and at $79 was probably one of the best buys in a small scope. I don't know if anyone has tried to get the older price from them, as those discontinued Weaver scopes will not sell at $245!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM
xhair1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsvette View Post
I have a Leupold 2-7X28 on my H001L which is the same as the youth except for an extra inch in LOP and of course the large loop. The Leupold 4X28 is a good fit also. Small scopes that look good on a lever gun.

I just made up my mind and got the exact same scope for mine last night but was too excited and forgot to get a quailty set of rings while I was there.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I think you'll like it. Another plus is you can get them with the gloss finish which looks better with that rifle. I used medium Leupold rings and replaced the rear sight with a blank. They keep the scope close to the barrel.

Last edited by vetsvette; 08-10-2010 at 12:39 PM.