Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 PM
GlockJD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ultimate Appleseed?

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking for tips on how to build my 10/22s. I'll quote my post from the Appleseed section.

Did my first Appleseed with my son this weekend. Took stock 10/22s with gi slings. Stock sights sucked but we got better every aqt and had a lot of fun, that's what matters! I think our first aqt was a 30 for him and 60 for me lol. We finished the weekend around 160 for me and 130 for him. I almost ran to Wal-Mart and bought scopes on Saturday night lol. I know we would both shoot close to Rifleman with scopes. At 25 yards with the pellet rifle and a scope he shoots about .5" 10 shot groups off the bench. I might of shot better but I was more concerned with him doing better and watching him. He was 100% safe and that was my other concern. He was the youngest there at 11 and the rso called it a few times to the 13 year old but overall was a very safe weekend. Anyways I'm kinda rambling trying to figure out what I'm thinking lol. I'm tempted to just order scopes and go for Rifleman in September. I'm also tempted to get tech sites and try those in September and keep working on our steady rifle hold factors. He's only 11 and I don't want to hang big glass and double the rifle weight and make his swaying even more pronounced. But I also think scope would help teach npoa easier. I was also reading and looking into the adjustable stocks for us, like the Axiom or archangel. I think stock 10/22 is close to him but very short for me, are those lighter or heavier than stock? Should I look into a lighter barrel for him? Stock seems pretty light anyway. Could definitely use some trigger smoothing heh. Is there anything that helps the mag changes? Getting them out want an issue but going in was tricky, maybe just need more practice. The auto bolt release would help. Need elbow pads next time too lol.

Ok guess I can't "quote" it from the app. Anyways, looking for thoughts on the stock options for 3 position, any options to ease mag changes besides practice and the bolt release? Any other suggestions to look into for tuning it up? I'll probably at least get the bx trigger if not send it to brimstone or get a kidd lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 09:04 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good for you! Getting your son shooting 3-position early and safely.

+1 for Tech Sights

I added a thicker butt pad to increase LOP for me along with forward (and rear) sling swivels and a GI sling

An extended mag release helps but so does practice.

I posted my Appleseed rifle build somewhere lol
Here: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Last edited by octanejunkie; 04-29-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 PM
GlockJD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's awesome. Yeah I added the slings already, but looking at different stocks for different lop. It was a blast this weekend, even though it wasn't that great of an Appleseed heh. May have to go to Phoenix for a good one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 01:15 AM
#Bird_Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife and I are getting ready to attend our first Appleseed this summer. I put together two identical 10/22s with GI Slings and a Tech Sights. We have been spending some range time with the rifles every week or so. I am quite amazed with how much better the tech sights are than the factory sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 AM
mojo-jojo
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tech sights over factory, I use a 3x9 Nikon efr set on 4. If you use a scope, you will probably need an extended Rail to move the scope forward enough, I use the one from Kidd. Probably need a cheek riser if the stock you use doesnt have one. I use the Ruger modular stock in copper mica. Extended mag release and practice mag changes. I can't say enough about Brimstone's tier 2 trigger job set to the sweet spot, affordable and excellent, I have 5 of them. Auto bolt release for ease of use and for consistency with different ammo, some bolt work, square and headspaced, pinned firing pin, better extractor. I use both kidd and jwh bolts, and have not been disappointed. A lot of guys just send everything to Randy at CPC and let him do what he do. None of this is necessary to shoot rifleman, I've seen 12 year olds do it with out of the box stock carbines.
The only thing I would caution anyone about is the 10/22 takedown, they don't seem to work very well with a sling

Last edited by mojo-jojo; 04-30-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:56 PM
Teachu2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Attachment 182139I built a pair of these with Appleseed in mind, and they are my favorite hunting guns. Right at 5.5 lbs with the Nikon 3-9x40 EFR rimfire scopes, Kidd rail, Kidd 16.5" ultralightweight barrel, Kidd Trigger Job kit, and Blackhawk Axiom stock.Very accurate and exceptional balance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181223_093403565 (1).jpg (508.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Teachu2; 05-01-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 AM
GlockJD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do the Axiom need a cheek riser or is it ok? You still using the Axiom buttstock or another AR version?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:38 AM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockJD
Is there anything that helps the mag changes? Getting them out want an issue but going in was tricky, maybe just need more practice.
Get a KIDD medium mag release lever and use HTA dual mag couplers. Makes mag changes in the AQT fast fire quick and easy. You can grab the mags with your fingers and release them with your thumb at the same time and do a quick turn to insert the 2nd mag. Lot easier than fumbling with 2 separate mags. Get one clear mag and one black mag and always load one with 2 rounds and the other with 8 and you will make less mistakes during a mag changes for those tricky stages. This tip saves me a lot of time. The factory Ruger medium mag lever does not work as well as the KIDD lever for this tip.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Mag...stem_p_35.html

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/Prod...Code=HTA1022MC

Getting a KIDD single stage trigger assembly solves a lot of problems (pull weight adjustability, auto bolt release, interchangeable mag release levers) and is probably the single biggest bang for the buck upgrade, then an aftermarket barrel. I've not seen one person who says they regret buying a KIDD trigger, even though they are pricey.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 AM
Hawkmoon
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to go against the grain and advise you NOT to scope your rifles yet. Especially not your son's rifle. The whole point of Appleseed (aside from learning more about the American Revolution, of course) is to teach marksmanship. Scopes are sort of cheating. Anyone can shoot half decently with a scope, but traditionally we learned to shoot with open sights, and didn't add scopes until we could shoot well and just needed a scope to shoot things that are farther away.

Another thing about a scope (which I learned the hard way at an Appleseed) is that in the prone position your head is a lot father forward than when standing, sitting, or kneeling. I had my rifle set up with a scope from shooting it off a bench, and in prone position I couldn't get my head back far enough to prevent the scope from bashing into my shooting glasses.

If you want to upgrade, get a set of Tech sights.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have mixed feelings about scopes in general and much prefer iron sights; especially for Appleseed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
If you want to upgrade, get a set of Tech sights.
This, and everything else he said, but mostly this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a former AS instructor I recommend the Axiom stock as an alternative to the standard one for your son. I also recommend a scope, look at the Weaver V3 1-3x. It is small and lightweight. 3x is about all you need anyway. Once you/your son learns sight alignment/sight picture etc, you can always go back and refine your technique with iron (tech) sights. I think a scope is easier to learn on. It's not cheating. Score rifleman with a scope, then go back and work on doing it with iron sights. Double the fun.

if you want to go cheap, the Simmons 22mag in 4x or 3-9x scope will do the job. $40-60. either one will work
If you want to go a bit more quality look for a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x $100-120 sometimes on sale for around $100 usually around $120.
The Weaver is a bit more at $150+

I have a couple Simmons and a couple Nikons on my AS rifles. I've shot rifleman with all of them (along with Tech Sights). I shot rifleman with a scope the first time. Went back and shot rifleman with tech sights the second time.

Last edited by mac66; 05-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockJD View Post
Do the Axiom need a cheek riser or is it ok? You still using the Axiom buttstock or another AR version?

I have the snap-on riser for them, and shoot them both with and without. Depends on my mood and how my neck feels that day. Axiom buttstocks on both.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
As for optics, they really help by giving immediate feedback. It's much harder to learn blindly than when you can see where you are hitting. Tech Sights are well and good, but don't help marginal eyesight. For the same money, a Simmons with AO will help old eyes and encourage young shooters.
The purists are welcome to shoot open sights on homemade muzzle-loaders, if they wish. They are free to do so. They are also free to choose a centerfire bolt, an SKS, AK-47, or AR-15, or Grandpa's war trophy or deer rifle....... this is America.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:37 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot Appleseed about a year or so ago with a completely stock 10/22, save for the addition of Tech Sights. My best AQT was a 195, which was frustratingly close to the 210 needed for Rifleman. I think I needed just one more hit in the bottom row. Most other guys there had scoped rifles, and only one shooter in the whole event scored Rifleman.

The Tech Sights are very nice, and you should improve on your scores over the stock sights. I haven't been back to an Appleseed event, and I've since put an inexpensive BSA 1.5-4.5x scope and a BX trigger group on that gun and I'm shooting out a quarter-sized hole at 25 yards with it. That's not excellent as far as all-out .22LR accuracy, but I think it's pretty good from a stock gun, and I think Rifleman would be fairly easy with this setup.

I think your approach for your next Appleseed should depend on your goals. If you want to walk out with a Rifleman patch (who doesn't, right?), then a smoother trigger and light scope should make that pretty easy for someone coming in with some trigger skills already. If you want more of a challenge, and want to work up to that score over the weekend, I know you can do it with Tech Sights and a nice trigger.

I would not consider myself skilled as a rifleman, capital 'R' or otherwise. But I scared the patch during my first Appleseed with a mostly stock gun -- if I can do that, I know others can as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shoot good ammo, it will make a difference

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk