Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 AM
ArmedRealtor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How Much .22 Ammo Is Enough?

I was asked a question in another thread... "What is your goal on quantity?" This got me thinking... how much is enough to individuals such as myself who shoot a lot? This is not including the esteemed members of our community who buy what they can and then practice sodomy on those who don't have the liberty of standing in line at Walmart or Dick's in the morning.

As a shooting enthusiast, what do you feel is a sufficient quantity of .22 (or other rimfire that can't be reloaded)? I have two kids that shoot me out of house and home when we go to the range... not really but it feels that way. We go through as many as 400 rounds between the three of us in a 4 hour stint... Hmmm... maybe that BX25 wasn't such a great idea after all.

Personally my goal is 10,000 rounds of .22 LR not including some match grade, ammo bird shot and .22 shorts. I am getting ever so close to that goal... What is your goal? How much is enough?

Last edited by ArmedRealtor; 05-10-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM
hogleg
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
At least a year's worth.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 AM
#Bird_Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I figured what the wife and I were shooting on an average weekend. Then multiplied that by 52 for a years supply. That is what I kept on hand before all this started. There are plenty of weekends we don't shoot at all so it ended up being more than a years supply. Now if a good deal pops up, or I'm lucky enough to be standing there when they restock the shelves I pick up A box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 AM
#Bird_Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hopefully this will be behind us in a year. Or at least ammo supply is caught up.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Reddog77
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I knew last summer what I know now I would have bought three or four cases.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
windowasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I keep about 8000 rounds.

I scavenge around for the 160 rounds we need per event for the Silhouette matches. And that only lets 2 of us shoot.

I have a daughter who is scoring very well in the rifle matches and now has started using the Mark I Target her grandpa gave her, and wants to shoot the pistol silhouettes...that's another 80 rounds, going cold bore with no practice shots

It is hard to be competitive when there is no consistent supply of the same brand ammo to use
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Steve Dallas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As others have said, I like to have at least 1 year's worth on hand.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I like having a couple years of ammo. I shoot a couple hundred rounds per week, so 20,000 rounds means I can survive any ammo shortage that we've seen to date.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogleg View Post
At least a year's worth.

The actual round count will vary with the individual shooter's needs but a year is a good planning figure. Buy to replace what you shoot... but not during panic buying! Draw down your stock during the panics then restock at normal prices when the fear subsides.

My ammo pile is actually three piles -- pricey match grade stuff for BR shooting, "good enough" match grade ammo for silhouette, and ammo for plinking. If you are also like that, stock up so you have at least a year's worth of the ammo you use for each activity.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Midlyph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My usual .22 "stockpile" was 200 rounds. If I went shooting, plinking only no competitions, I would re-stock at WM on the way home, or just wait till the next time I went. I would only ever hold back 1 magazine full to dispatch a varmint if I needed to.

Before the madness began I was warned, and managed to get about 1,500 rounds (at normal price). That is a great plenty for me, I don't need any more for a long time. I just enjoy beating the dead horse in the ammo shortage threads, and calling out bad behavior on the part of retail employees.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Didereaux
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
the wife and I on average use....

Our annual usage of all 22 ammos is approx 8,000 rnds. I normally buy a case every six months. But since the 'panic' I have worked hard and kept the supply at around 4K by buying a brick or two as they became available. I have never p[aid scalping price so far, the worst was the higher than normal price(that I usually pay) at Recob's, but that was their normal pricing and not gouging at all. Good outfit to deal with though.

So outside of the additional time wasted on the net and phone to keep stocks current I have not been 'discomfited'.

Last edited by Didereaux; 05-10-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added info chekked speeling and tipos
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
AceGirlsHusband
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I can reach for another round, and feel them in the box, that is enough.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM
djsomers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that keeping a years supply, plus replace what you shoot (monthly), is good advice. In other words, don't let your stock drop too far below 90% of your yearly supply.

Your mileage may vary. For some that is boxes, for some bricks, for some cases.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 PM
bucknball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What RF I shoot in 5 years is minimum supply to weather storms like current situation. I use it mostly on the trapline and fur hunting = $$$. Some for squirrel and groundhog hunting and some for the kids to shoot plinkin and a 5 year supply is like this:

17HMR for hunting and sighting in etc... 200 rds a year = 1000 rds for 5 year
22WMR dittos " " above 500 rds a year = 2500 rds for 5 years
22short and LR trapline 500 rds a year = 2500 rds for 5 years
HV and velocitor 22LR mostly hunting 500 rds a year = 2500 rds for 5 years
22LR bulk pack or equal kid plinkin etc 5000 rds a year = 25000 rds for 5 years

Total to have on hand is 1000 rd 17HMR, 2500 rd 22WMR, 30000 rd of various 22 short and LR

Currently have good supply of 17HMR but a bit short of 1K rd.

Only a 2 year supply of 22WMR so picking up some when found at good price(Fed 50 gr., Rem or CCI 40 gr. PSP, Win/super X 40 gr. HP and Wildcat 45 gr. are preferred).

For LR plinkin and some hunting with the kids like the Auto Match and Blazer. For serious LR work like Velocitors for heavy work like groundhogs and coons and standard velocity match stuff for precision work like squirrel and starling/cowbird shooting. For the trapline like the shorts cause the tubes hold plenty(Bearcat, Nylon, Stevens and a Mossy depending on boat, truck or on foot)Sometimes use Blazers or whatever in the bulk pak. Right now I'm way short on LR cept for 12 bulk packs. Have a couple of boxes of the specialty and match stuff but way short of what I'll need this year coming up. I'll probably have to cut the kids short and hoard crummy ammo for serious work, which I am loath to do.

If the bulk stuff stays at $50 brick I'm gonna start reloading my 222 and shoot cast bullets some and get one of them nice 25 cal air rifles to make things better on the trapline and guess I'll halfta teach the kids how to shoot home cast PRB in the MLs. I am finding #11 and musket caps and black powder and subs OK.

Hope all well. BnB
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Dr Heckel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The minimum amount I like to have in hand is a years supply, my goal however is 2 or maybe even 3 years worth. Last year I shot somewhere between 10K-12K rounds of 22LR.

Since this whole shortage started I have bought very little ammo, all of it match grade which because of the high price Im not able to buy large amounts of at a time. I have also drastically reduced the frequency in which I shoot to not only conserve my supply but also so Im not adding to the problem. I've passed numerous times on ammo hoping that someone who really needs it can get it. When things get back to normal I will continue to buy more than I shoot to slowly build my supply to my 2-3 year goal.