Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:51 PM
94Vette

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 WSM or HMR

Hi,

Trying to make a decision on my next rifle. I shoot a lot of groundhogs. I'd like to extend the range from what I can do with my .22 rimfire. I've been looking at the .17 WSM, but the rifle selection is pretty poor. The Rugers seem quite expensive and I've never been a fan of Savage, and their low cost rifles make me ponder their quality.

I'm hesitant to go to a center fire because of the ammo costs and the overkill factor. Is the .17 WSM catching on or am I possibly looking at an obsolete round.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2020, 02:41 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are going to hunt groundhogs with a rimfire the 17wsm in the one you want IMO. I have a bmag sporter with the laminate stock and it shoots as well or better than I can under field conditions. I have a 1/8 twist which is the newer twist and the only down side to mine is by the time I get 50 rounds through it I have to clean the bore. Some are like that and some not. The heavy barrels will group a little better, 1.5 inch for sporter and 1 inch for heavy barrel at 100 yards according to Savage but I opted for weight reduction. Off the bench my sporter will be under an inch for three shots at 100 yards most times and I doubt my skill level would let me shoot less than 1.5 inch with the HB under field conditions. The spotrer barrel heats up fast so that is why the 3 shot group plus I am stingy with ammo especially if I have a lot that shoots well. While the 22 mag has killed many groundhogs if you are going to take longer shots the wsm has so much less wind drift than the 22 mag that it is the obvious choice for most. Now JMO if I were a younger man I would be seriously be considering a 17 cal. centerfire but ONLY if I planned on reloading. When you shoot factory loads you are at the mercy of the ammo makers and they are all trying to produce a product and keep the cost down where it is affordable. Plus when reloading you can custom load and get that perfect load for your particular rifle.

Last edited by profsrgary; 02-23-2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: addl. info.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Vette View Post
Trying to make a decision on my next rifle. I shoot a lot of groundhogs. I'd like to extend the range from what I can do with my .22 rimfire. I've been looking at the .17 WSM, but the rifle selection is pretty poor. The Rugers seem quite expensive and I've never been a fan of Savage, and their low cost rifles make me ponder their quality.

I'm hesitant to go to a center fire because of the ammo costs and the overkill factor. Is the .17 WSM catching on or am I possibly looking at an obsolete round.
If groundhogs will be the intended target and you are concerned about "overkill factor" of a CF I would skip all rimfires and go with a 17 Hornet. The ammo is a little more expensive, but it's reloadable, or, you can save your brass and sell it to recoup some of the extra ammo cost. There's probably a few different 17 Hornet shooters on this site that would buy your once fired brass.

I like shooting my HB SS Bmag 17 WSM a lot better than either of my 17 HMR's, certainly not because it's an outstanding firearm but because it not only shoots better than my HMR's but it hits a lot harder as well and gives me a fair bit more range on ground squirrels. BUT, if I was going out to shoot groundhogs and wanted something relatively small, I'd leave any and all rimfires in the safe and reach for my 17 Hornets.

The CZ 527 17 Hornet is a great little rifle that will cost less than the Ruger 17 WSM and a little more than the HB SS Bmag that comes with a laminated stock. I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets, they shoot well and pack a lot more punch than my 17 WSM.

If small, but accurate, is what you're looking for, you'll really like the little 17 Hornet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17WSM all the way, Ruger make a super accurate rifle but it needs a little tuning. Trigger sear swap and a little polishing on the cocky piece and away you go.

17 Hornet ain't really going to cut it as reloading is a major pain and what do you gain maybe 40 or 50yds.

I'd suggest keeping your eye out for a 2nd hand Ruger, both off mine I picked up for almost half price
Old 02-23-2020, 06:56 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deals are to be had on the 17WSM B.Mags.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
17WSM all the way

17 Hornet ain't really going to cut it as reloading is a major pain and what do you gain maybe 40 or 50yds.
The 17 Hornet 20gr Vmax 3650 fps w/592 ft.lbs energy

The 17 WSM 20 Vmax 3000 fps w/400 ft.lbs energy

I'm not sure how you come up with the 17 WSM as cutting it but the 17 Hornet doesn't. A little confused on your math with that one.

Having shot both, a lot, I can assure you, there is no comparison between the two.

Loading for the 17 Hornet is no more or no less difficult than any other CF cartridge.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're carrying a 22 now any of the 17s would be an upgrade. I don't have a wsm, yet, but, I do have mach2s and an hmr, and the hmr sets most of the time. Chucks have been taken out to 85yds with the mach2 without a problem.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both HMR and WSM, and the WSM is king. Get a BMAG.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
I have both HMR and WSM, and the WSM is king. Get a BMAG.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As stated, the B.MAGs (HB) are working out very well right now. Having shot a lot of prairie dogs at various ranges, the 17WSM is a great choice.

However, I don't think you've looked hard enough at the 17 Hornet. A CZ Model 527 in .17 Hornet is tough to beat in the world of 17 caliber varmint combos. Factory imo is really not that expensive, especially if you are only shooting ground hogs. The Hornady 20 grain factory rounds is running around $16.00 for a box of #25 (plus shipping). That load is extremely accurate and sometimes makes me question why I even reload for the round.

Either way, you cannot go wrong with either cartridge, just don't discount the extra energy from the Hornet. Also, shooting either one of these rounds suppressed is a dream!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 PM
mtiehen

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Vette View Post
Hi,

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
I’ve shot 300 or so rounds at prairie dogs with my BMag 17WSM. Works great out a bit past 200 yards. I now use it much more than my Savage HMR, although my Savage is a very accurate gun within its effective range and until 5-6 years ago, that’s all I took on quick “turn-and-burn” PD hunts.

I also have a CZ 527 17HH with the single set trigger. Like mentioned above, it extends the range a bit over the 17 WSM, but past 250 yards, I switch to my .204R and that rifle is good out past 400 yards, windy or not. The gymnastics with the .204 leaves no question.

I also reload and my setup to make accurate 17HH ammo doesn’t make it worth it to me. 17 WSM is around $13-$14 a box of 50 when on sale. I bought 10 boxes of Hornady 25 gr. at a gun show late last year at $10 a box. The seller said he was tired of dragging it around to shows.

My .204 and HMR are suppressed, and am thinking about threading the BMag barrel.

I’d go WSM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:06 PM
94Vette

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Appreciate the advice. Local show this weekend, I'll take a look and see what's available.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:43 AM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have all 3, the wsm is very capable and is the best value I think, got a ss HB Bmag for $290. Bought a case of browning ammo for $99 per 500 rounds. The hornet is way more accurate and powerful. The .17 hmr is an economy round, good under 125 yards where as the other two are good over 200.

My favorite right now is the hornet, the wsm is a close second, I haven’t shot the hmr in several months.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:15 PM
doglvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
17WSM all the way, Ruger make a super accurate rifle but it needs a little tuning. Trigger sear swap and a little polishing on the cocky piece and away you go.

I'd suggest keeping your eye out for a 2nd hand Ruger, both off mine I picked up for almost half price
"17 Hornet ain't really going to cut it as reloading is a major pain" and what do you gain maybe 40 or 50yds.

For some reloading may be a major pain. For others it is a relaxing way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi doglvr yeah I actually enjoy reloading larger CF like 6.5 Grendels and Swede's, I just find the small stuff less enjoyable as you tend to shoot more rounds.

In saying that I actually cracked and bought a near new Ruger 77 17 Hornet Stainless green mountain laminate yesterday, paid $569. Comes with 50 x Hornady rounds so I guess i see if it can match what my old Ruger 17 WSM does....

I have been warned by a mate that the 17 Hornet makes a fair bit more noise thou.