Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Seifdoggy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 17 WSM/ mixed feeling's

I have had a WSM Ruger 77 for about 3 years now. That thing does shoot well, hitting PD's out to 150 yards is pretty easy.
I do not like the short bolt handle, if you put a nice scope and want to mount it as low as possible like I did, the knob hits the scope Bell. The bolt needs to be longer as to leave room for your fingers to grab the ball. I thought of extending the bolt or bending the handle to lower the ball. But both of those options involve heating or welding on the bolt handle. Since the bolt is chrome plated that stopped me from doing either.
I talked to Ruger several times about it and got no satisfaction at all, they don't seem to care. Their answer was to just put tall mounts on the scope. I'm old school and think you should always keep your scope as close to the barrel as you can.
My opinion of Ruger is not what it once was, I was wanting to help them improve the function of this model 77 by extending the handle or putting a longer and bigger ball to ease the operation of this gun. I am sure that I am not the only person who has encountered the problem.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you really need to get the bolt handle threaded and put a longer bolt knob on, it absolutely transforms the handling of the rifle.