Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Michael182

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 Wsm Mgm encore barrel Misfires

I bought a barrel from mgm. Really accurate . The problem that im having is that when i first got it I had 3-4 misfires before it went off per round. I talked to bellm TC
out of colrado and they said had change to 51 pound hammer spring. So I did. I went from 3-4 times pulling the trigger per round to 2. SO its better . but I want it to go bang everytime like its spoz to. Dose anyone know what maybe wrong with it. I currently have it at the gun sth check for head spacing. Thanks in advance. Want make this marrel work. Love the round.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:18 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael182 View Post
I bought a barrel from mgm. Really accurate . The problem that im having is that when i first got it I had 3-4 misfires before it went off per round. I talked to bellm TC
out of colrado and they said had change to 51 pound hammer spring. So I did. I went from 3-4 times pulling the trigger per round to 2. SO its better . but I want it to go bang everytime like its spoz to. Dose anyone know what maybe wrong with it. I currently have it at the gun sth check for head spacing. Thanks in advance. Want make this marrel work. Love the round.
Fuzzy memory, and weak Google fu so don't hold me to it. But I think gmd1950 might have been down this road a few years back.

Might have the member wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Got the advance search to work on my phone but not able to post a link. Search mgm in the advanced search for the 17 wsm section, gmd1950 has a thread about his, problems start on page 3 with solutions to follow.

Last edited by comfisherman; 02-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Got the PM, MGM had to make me a new barrel, its a chamber alignment issue, the Encore doesn't have centerfire/rimfire type firing pins so for rimfire they off set the chamber.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If possible, post photo of firing pin imprints.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Michael182

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Got the PM, MGM had to make me a new barrel, its a chamber alignment issue, the Encore doesn't have centerfire/rimfire type firing pins so for rimfire they off set the chamber.
THanks , I just emailed them. Hopefully they make it right. They make great barrels, just want it to go bang every time
Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Michael182

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
If possible, post photo of firing pin imprints.
Ill see if I can after work.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
They bore the barrel off-center for rimfire cartridges. That deliberate mis-alignment plus headspace can create a situation where you get misfires. MGM will make it right with the barrel, you might need to adjust headspace....which is very easy to do on an Encore.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah Id love to see a few cases that didnt go off. It could be many things

where is the FP striking the rim ?

Whats the profile of the firing pin, is a it round or does it have sharp flatt edges

whats the FP protrusion ?

Yes the 17 WSM needs a decent spring but there are plenty of other things Id be looking at first
Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 PM
windage1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The firing pin needs to strike as close as possible to the outer edge of the rim especially with the 17 wsm since it is all Winchester ammo that doesn't have a lot of flash powder on the back side of the rim.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windage1 View Post
The firing pin needs to strike as close as possible to the outer edge of the rim especially with the 17 wsm since it is all Winchester ammo that doesn't have a lot of flash powder on the back side of the rim.
Your photo in a different thread of the Bmag imprint shows the correct imprint distance from the very edge of the rim. Close, but not on the very edge.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be good to see firing pin and some pics of the hit rim, I'm building a martini wizzum at the moment and I'm wondering if I need to reshape the firing pin from the round profile
Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
Be good to see firing pin and some pics of the hit rim, I'm building a martini wizzum at the moment and I'm wondering if I need to reshape the firing pin from the round profile
Not to hijack the thread but this will be a cool one to see.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure will be comfisherman, just deciding on gunsmiths and whether I recycle some walnut on a 218 bee that I dont use anymore. Using a thick walled Martini BSA mod 12, bit of extra weight but it should help with the recoil
Old 02-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
Sure will be comfisherman, just deciding on gunsmiths and whether I recycle some walnut on a 218 bee that I dont use anymore. Using a thick walled Martini BSA mod 12, bit of extra weight but it should help with the recoil
Probably have to nearly double the hammer spring strength for consistent ignition. That is what it took for my H&R Sportster.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 AM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've already got a new German spring my gunsmith gets custom made and its more than enough when I compare to my Rugers spring