Old 01-23-2020, 11:06 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
And we won't mention their hideous wood stock billboard branding. Is weed legal there also?
Yup, If I wanted a lot of branding let me just buy a t shirt or hat. Please leave the giant nike swosh off my rifle forend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Talked to Mike Bush w/Vudoo Gun Works a few days ago, he said they have zero interest in doing a 17 WSM. Guess that just leaves us with Zermatt Arms and their new RimX action, but I haven't heard if they are going to build complete guns or just sell actions that'll work for a 17 WSM build.
They have a target market that is almost entirely prs/range toy. Demand for accuracy is the highest order, hunting and field ergonomics are way down stream of that. The mags are modeled after aics mags, did a hunt this weekend and hunting partners rifle was fitted with such mags. Impressive at the range, a pain in the scrub brush we found ourselves in.

All this is moot for them, the target audience is looking for exactly what they are making. For them to vote against the 17 wsm is no different than Toyota declining to make an atv. They could probably make a good one, but its not what they do and until traditional markets change they will likely not do it.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:59 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The .17 wsm is about the best trappers round out there. When you want to dispatch a coyote in a trap without damage it’s great, if you end up seeing one running around at 150 yards while checking your line, you have a gun capable of making the shot. Plus the ammo is cheap and you don’t have to save brass. The hmr is ok but marginal for shooting dogs in less than perfect circumstances. I’m actually happy with the Bmag as a trappers gun, hate the fact that you can prematurely close the bolt, it’s pretty nuts.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I look at the Vudoo action I just can't help but think they stuffed the design a little by not making the port large enough, I'm not sure the WSM would work.

Zermatt will do for me
Old 01-23-2020, 10:38 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post
The .17 wsm is about the best trappers round out there. When you want to dispatch a coyote in a trap without damage itís great, if you end up seeing one running around at 150 yards while checking your line, you have a gun capable of making the shot. Plus the ammo is cheap and you donít have to save brass. The hmr is ok but marginal for shooting dogs in less than perfect circumstances. Iím actually happy with the Bmag as a trappers gun, hate the fact that you can prematurely close the bolt, itís pretty nuts.
I've no doubt it's good. Probably better than the old trapper standard marlin 22mag. But trappers are a smaller minority in the firearm world than hunters, both groups are shrinking pretty fast. Group of folks who like the idea of being is probably bigger than those who do, keeps the development of utilitarian guns to a minimum.

Which is a bummer, as my hunting style is more similar to the needs of a trapper. Lots of packing not as much shooting. Weight and durability top it all, accuracy a close 3rd.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/23/shot-2020-volquartsen-summit-17-wsm/
Old 01-24-2020, 08:03 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Just saw a video that the weight listed is the barreled action plus stock weight so these are going to still be hefty ones.

Still fun to see the innovation but I'll stick to the ruger and try and get a smaller contour barrel eventually.

How these ultralight rimfires end up heavier than at least 3 of my hunting rifles is beyond me.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:09 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
I genuinely don't understand the firearm world. It is full of paradox, ...
Then out of left field ruger releases super oddball 57 pistol, my guess it will sell really well initially. But what about a face lift on the mag, that would likely sell pretty well and the tooling exists. Or some modern autoloader of the 44 carbine.

Just curious who the demographic is that they are all chasing. My main hobby is guns and hunting, and a lot of money is spent on it. But its going more and more to boutique companies as they are wiling to get in front of my needs as a consumer.
I think it is just that each of these things that moves forward has a "champion" in that company, and they push their idea through. The .17 WSM is just in need of a champion in these companies.

Another thing is, they each want to be the next company to come out with an "HMR" type of thing. The .17 Hornet is a relatively new thing, following the .17 Fireball , .17 HMR, and .17 WSM.

I propose someone come along and take the .20 Practical or the .19 Badger or .19 Calhoon Hornet and legitimize it. It would take a rifle maker and ammo maker to collaborate on this, and maybe give some $ credit to someone for inventing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
Zermatt might be the 1st one out of the blocks for new 17wsm in 2020, thou Volquartsen are telling those who have placed orders on the summit to expect about a 6 month wait.

either way exciting times especially if Bergara and Vudoo jump into the ring ......
"Zermatt"? "Volquartsen"? "Bergara"? "Vudoo"? ?????

These all sound like expensive, trendy, boutique guns. I'm looking for a Remington, Savage, Marlin, Henry, Winchester, Tikka, CZ, H&R, etc.. You know, the common and popular HUNTING GUN companies.

Quote:
CZ are followers, just too conservative to attempt something as revolutionary as a 17wsm

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...uns-shot-show/
I don't think the .17 WSM is still "revolutionary". It has become a little bit mainstream now. Need another hunting rifle company to jump into the fray. A .17 WSM in a magazine fed lever by Henry with fiber sights would be pretty cool, and most likely VERY popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
I've no doubt it's good. Probably better than the old trapper standard marlin 22mag. But trappers are a smaller minority in the firearm world than hunters, both groups are shrinking pretty fast. Group of folks who like the idea of being is probably bigger than those who do, keeps the development of utilitarian guns to a minimum.

Which is a bummer, as my hunting style is more similar to the needs of a trapper. Lots of packing not as much shooting. Weight and durability top it all, accuracy a close 3rd.
Trapper? TRAPPER? Sure, it's probably fun, but for what, like .0001% of the population?

How about the BOOMING predator hunting, varmint hunting, and hog hunting markets? The .17 WSM would be a hit in any and all of these areas, especially if brought in the right platform with the right marketing.

Last edited by AubMassCoyote; 01-24-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:28 AM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AubMassCoyote of course the 17 WSM is revolutionary just not for all. It replaces all Rimfires and kills the hmr stone dead in my opinion.

For some the 17WSM is game changer, quieter and more efficient than 218 bee, 222 and 223, and when used in a precise maner it kills with a minimum of fuss.

Viva the 17..

Last edited by Steve540; 01-25-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:14 AM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
AubMassCoyote of course the 17 WSM is revolutionary just not for all. It replaces all Rimfires and kills the hmr stone dead in my opinion.

For some the 17WSM is game changer, quieter and more efficient than 218 bee, 222 and 223, and when used in a precise maner it kills with a minimum of fuss.

Viva the 17..
I wouldn't say it "replaces all rimfires". The .22LR and .22 Mag are still good for hunting squirrel, rabbit, etc, out to maybe 70 yards and 100 yards, respectively. The .17HM2 and .17HMR extend those distances out to 150, maybe 200 yards.

The .17 WSM extends those distances a bit more (eyes willing), but ALSO adds in bigger game in the 20-160 yards range; game such as fox and coyote.

I'd say the one thing desired out of SHOT SHOW would be better .17 ammunition, that penetrates, expands, and shocks; but does not explode instantly and ruin pelts.

Last edited by AubMassCoyote; 01-25-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:33 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
17 hmr and 22 wmr do a pretty good number on fox's. Constitution of a fox isn't a lot heftier than a big cat. Its been about ten years since a lot of fox's died due to my 17, but we used to hunt them like a religion on the south end of the island.

Coyote hunted with a 17hmr in early college as it was all that was available. The 22 mag under 80 yards was much preferred, grated these are western coyotes that are bigger than the ones I've shot in the south. Little buggers are tough, much respect to the coyote they can take a pretty good wallop.

The 17 wsm will definitely extend the range on both, will try it on coyotes this fall as we will be hunting an area that is rimfire only.

Don't think the controlled expansion bullets will be all the rage for the wsm, not a lot of suitable bullets out there in the ether. Ammo companies make money on the volume shooters, we just did an order for the spring squirrel shoot. This year it was 2k rounds of 20 grainers, and 500 of the 15s. The game is volume, the goal is splatter and the location is alfalfa. I'll do a box or two of game bullets a year, vs 5 bricks in a week at squirrels.

They follow the volume, and the hard core western varminter does the volume.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 AM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb

Here are some bullets. I wish some companies would load these.
25 grain Bergers,

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=2268172

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...oyotes.156458/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...yotes.3937944/

A New .17 Caliber, 30 gr. Offering
Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Not near my stabilization calculator but at 17 wsm speeds a 30 grainer is going to be needing a faster twist to stabilize. Was an outfit that used to make them, an old fisherman friend used them in a 223 based wildcat 17. Fouled terrible but good on fur and a laser out to 300. Bullet supply ran out and it got rebarreled to 204.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope Volquartsen haven't got the twist rate wrong for the summit, 1 in 9 on the Ruger is perfect for the 20gr. 1 in 8.25 seems to be good for 25gr.

Bulk cheap ammo is all 20gr not 25gr around my way.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use use the bulk 25gr browning ammo, my rifle loves it.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:59 AM
RAVAGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Talked to Mike Bush w/Vudoo Gun Works a few days ago, he said they have zero interest in doing a 17 WSM.
The reason I have no interest is due to the parent case, a .27 caliber nail gun blank. I have a lot of experience with this cartridge and the industrial properties of the brass and do not desire to make a bolt rifle with heavy bolt lift, poor trigger feel, poor feeding and poor accuracy. I believe other bolt action companies that have stated they'll be offering it get more into the design details, like HS-Precision, they'll probably back peddle on it, or at least they should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdG7ZcoQt_c

MB