Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:29 PM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
RPR bolt issue....

Sticky binding pos.... I know itís not a Annie but %%%%. New rifle, will it wear in or send it back now?
Old 01-04-2020, 01:38 AM
#Bird_Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve put about 500 rounds through mine, still a pain. Hoping it will break in for me, I really like the rifle. Even more so shooting it suppressed.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:14 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send it back ps theywill only send pick it up and return it to your residence. So when they ask you for your home address , give them the address you want them to use. Dont try to explain to them that you work and so would like it sent to your office.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 01-04-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 05:12 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was really stiff when I bought it but I shoot 150 rounds per week through it and it smoothed out after about 4 months.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:40 PM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
I'll take it out and see if it's reasonably accurate... if so I'll pull it all apart and try lapping it in a bit.... If it doesn't shoot worth a hoot it's going back.

Wasn't expecting alot at this price point but wow.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:52 AM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Well.... I couldn't stand it so ended up dissassymbling the bolt and stoned the crap out of it... also chamfered the leading edge coming into the rear of the receiver.... it's 80% better and now at least functional.... ammo tested it yesterday and it's a shooter with one lot of SK STD. Going to pull it appart again this weekend and lap the inside of the reciever with the bolt.... looks like there are high spots inside the reciever.... very rough machining on both the bolt and receiver.

Like I said, wasn't expecting a whole lot on a sub $400 rifle but wow, this thing
was pretty much unusable out of the box. If it were a gift to a kid it would have been very disappointing.

It does shoot better then a $400 rifle should though so there is that.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:23 PM
1bdvet
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also noticed the same thing, but when I replaced the trigger, the bolt ran smooth like it's suppose to work.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
The problem just might be the magazine, not the bolt. The hi-cap mag that comes with the rifle is a poor fit. If you compare the front-to-back measurement on the original mag to that of a 10-rounder, you'll see the difference. The 10-rounders fit the mag well better and work better, too. Try the bolt with the mag removed to see if that's the problem.

If you send the rifle back to Ruger they'll probably just send it back to you with a second 15-round mag that doesn't fit or work any better. That's what happened with mine when I returned it last year, anyway. I don't think they did anything at all to the rifle. Now I have 2 15-round mags that don't work very well.

Last edited by Lloyd S.; 01-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
Well.... I couldn't stand it so ended up dissassymbling the bolt and stoned the crap out of it... also chamfered the leading edge coming into the rear of the receiver.... it's 80% better and now at least functional.... ammo tested it yesterday and it's a shooter with one lot of SK STD. Going to pull it appart again this weekend and lap the inside of the reciever with the bolt.... looks like there are high spots inside the reciever.... very rough machining on both the bolt and receiver.

Like I said, wasn't expecting a whole lot on a sub $400 rifle but wow, this thing
was pretty much unusable out of the box. If it were a gift to a kid it would have been very disappointing.

It does shoot better then a $400 rifle should though so there is that.

If you want a good shooting rifle for $400, get a CZ. To make it even better, put a Yodave trigger kit in it.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:54 AM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
If you want a good shooting rifle for $400, get a CZ. To make it even better, put a Yodave trigger kit in it.
Have a couple... and a couple annies.... and a remmie.... (just bolt small bore...., not including lever and then don't even get me started on centerfire....)

Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (68)
Got back from our monthly small bore match this afternoon and pulled the rifle back apart to polish the bolt and pull the trigger apart to lighten it up....

You can see the 2 steps from poor machining that i stoned flat (to the left of both screw driver blades)...

there is also a picture of the spare parts from the trigger.... I still need to pull it apart one more time and take a little bit more off the sear to remove a bit more creep. Weight is around a pound now.

Should have just sent it back but I like working on stuff....