TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tikka with IBI barrel 1st one in the US

Read all about it here. https://forum.snipershide.com/thread.../#post-8015517

Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Paul_T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't want to create a login over there but will comment that you may want to push the round all the way into the barrel before you drop the barrel into the receiver onto the bolt to headspace it.

When I originally headspaced mine I let the bullet get pushed in by the bolt (it stuck out like the picture you posted at snipers). After tightening the set screws I checked with a go gauge (it closed) then a no-go (it still closed). A field gauge did not close. Figured I would try it with a headspace at bit on the 'too much' side anyway.

First test at range was click (misfire) then closing bolt again was a fire. This went on for a couple of rounds.

Went home and re-did the headspace by first forcing the round all the way into the barrel (it is a very tight chamber) rather than just using finger pressure and having it stick out. I used Eley Tennex.

Now a go gauge is 'snug' to close the bolt. No-go and field do not allow the bolt to close. Extraction is still smooth.

Probably hit the range again this weekend.

Last edited by Paul_T; 10-11-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:39 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Paul,

Was your barrel easy to slip in? How much barrel wobble do you have when the barrel is fully inserted? Of course this is with loose set screws.

I did push the round down in the chamber by hand before closing the bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Paul_T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel slips right in. A bit of wobble in all directions with the screws loose.

It was a juggling act to press barrel onto bolt and align the extractor (in the center of the barrel groove) then tighten the screws.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:19 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish I had measured the barrel tenon before I got the barrel in its final resting place. I know it's a lot smaller than the factory barrel. I'll be talking to Ryan about this on Monday. There can't be "that" much of a variation in the Tikka receiver to force IBI to make that shank this small.

Have you shot yours?

I have shot mine but waiting on more data and I want to talk with Ryan before posting results. Results will be on Snipers Hide and not here. I will leave everyone with a teaser photo and this isn't the only one like this. Not showing the entire target as that will come later but to be like 99% of the other people in here, here is a cherry picked 5 shot group at 55 yards. Remember I have a lot more than just this one.

One last thing, in case anyone is wondering, I did buy this barrel. It wasn't given to me and I'm not borrowing it. As I said, just in case anyone was wondering.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Paul_T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
I wish I had measured the barrel tenon before I got the barrel in its final resting place. I know it's a lot smaller than the factory barrel. I'll be talking to Ryan about this on Monday. There can't be "that" much of a variation in the Tikka receiver to force IBI to make that shank this small.

Have you shot yours?
IBI will be closed Monday - Canadian Thanksgiving, it's a stat holiday.

It's cold (43F) and raining but I'm going out this afternoon regardless. Will report back.

I'm just going to use bog standard CCI SV ammo today, maybe some Federal. Wouldn't think they will group like your 'teaser'.

-edit- back from the range. Very tight chamber on this barrel, having to really push the bolt home on CCI SV and Federal Match.

Shooting was good, better than 1 MOA at 50 yards. Most 5 shot groups had 2 or 3 touching or close to same hole and then a flyer. Not much different than the OEM barrel at this distance but I really did not expect any/much change with cheap ammo.
Time, better weather and better ammo will tell.

kisssofdeath how tight is the chamber on yours - i.e. are you having to really push the bolt to get the round to chamber?

Last edited by Paul_T; 10-13-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have this much sticking out of the chamber after contact is made with the rifling.

My bolt closes and locks fairly easy with headspace set at .043". I tried .041 and .042" and the bolt would be easy to close (move forward completely) but on some rounds it would be difficult to lock the bolt handle down. Accuracy also suffered with headspace being too tight. LOL, you are pulling information out of me that I was saving for my write up.

The ID of the chamber is not as tight as I thought it would be. I have wobble in the round when loaded half way in. For comparison, I have a Sako Finnfire barrel laying here that has wobble but not as bad. I will check the factory Tikka barrel later.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Paul_T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I headspaced mine with that much sticking out I was getting misfires every round (too much headspace). In that position the bolt still closed on a no-go gauge.

When I pushed the round most all the way in (tighter to the barrel) it is now difficult to chamber rounds. I seem to be pushing the rounds into the lands now and with the bolt handle hard to drop the headspace is too tight.

I just reset it to 0.043 and will see tomorrow what the go, no-go says. Are you measuring this distance front of rim to back of barrel? Thx!!

Factory Tikka barrel I can drop a round all the way in and the rim hits the back of the barrel.

Last edited by Paul_T; 10-14-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Paul_T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My LGS owner was nice enough to lend me his go-no:go-field set which saved me going back and forth.

Set it to go (.043) which closes smoothly. No:go (.046) won't close.

Much easier with a set of gauges. May make a set on the lathe for my toolbox.

edit-

I set up an account at Sniper's (lol) waiting for admin approval. Interesting regarding you shimming the barrel. I have some Center X on the way, will see if I need to do the same.

Last edited by Paul_T; 10-17-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Headspace wasn't set with the rim sticking out like that. In the photo I was showing just how much is sticking out of the chamber when the bullet touches the rifling. I pushed the round into the chamber before putting the bolt in place.

What I did was, using a once fired .223 Remington case as the tool to hold the round with, I measured the case length, zeroed my calipers, kept inserting ammo in the .223 opening until I found one with a rim thickness of .043". I put this round in the IBI chamber, pushed it all the way in, closed the bolt and locked the bolt knob down.

On mine, the distance between the cartridge rim and bolt face is already close. I check for a gap between the rim and bolt face with a 10X jewelers loupe. I take my rubber mallet and gently tap on the end of the barrel until I have no gap. This can be easily seen with the loupe and flashlight. In the beginning of this you will see a light gap between the rim and bolt face, when finished the light gap is gone. With the bolt locked down I tighten up the 3 barrel screws.

I don't have a Go Gauge so this is how I set my headspace. It is a dangerous way to do it but have confidence in my ability.

Also, the review is complete. I will post two targets showing how Lapua Center-X shot.

Lapua Center-X shot the best. There is a lot to be said about these two. targets. 1st, all but one group is UNDER .5" that's 19 out of 20 groups. 15 out of 20 are 3/8" or better. That's including the groups that's 3/8" - 7/16", that's like splitting hairs anyway. On the second target a slight movement of something on my end prevented me from getting 3 additional 1/4" groups. 5 of 10 were at 1/4". All shots on their own target are all in the same area next to the bullseye.

Go to Snipers Hide to see the full review.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stuff like that is going to get Diane, Chuckie et al after all BOLT guns.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Stuff like that is going to get Diane, Chuckie et al after all BOLT guns.
You have a point there.