Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:42 PM
justdino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV rear sight replacement?

FNG here. I just bought a new Mark IV Hunter and can't see the rear sight - it's the new style with horizontal ribs.

All of my other pistols have night sights, and was thinking a fiber optic rear would help me aligning the front sight. Right now I can't see if it's level and centered left to right.

Williams and HiViz have fiber optic rears - does anyone know of any others, of have experience with these 2?

Thanks.

dino
Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 AM
MyNameIsEarl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Here is something to watch for. All rear sights are not equal. In the case of a rear sight upgrade from Volquartsen, you must call them first, because they offer 4 of them without any specifications on the web site. In the case of Williams, they might make a sight set, so just purchasing one of their rear sights alone might not work. This is all a lot of trouble, but make sure you end up with a combination that works for your pistol. If you find the correct rear hi-viz sight for a stock Hunter, let us know.

-MNIE
Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I installed Williams fire sight on my MK4 and I like them. Really easy to see with my aging eyes..

Last edited by xdm9mm; 09-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 PM
justdino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up buying the HiViz MKAD211. It delivered last Friday but I've been out of town since.

I hope to get it on this weekend and see how it works.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM
justdino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Installed the Hi Viz MKAD211 finally. My sight pusher didn't work very well with the rounded receiver so I used a punch and hammer on a roll of duct tape.

Sights are on and adjusted easy to POA today. I can see the rear sight MUCH better than the original black rear sight. Old eyes indeed.

Last edited by justdino; 09-20-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:17 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the fiber optic sights. But on mine I like red dots better. Give them a try.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 AM
MyNameIsEarl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

I think there is some confusion about the use of a sight pusher. I have seen that most of the sights on the black plastic pistols have been installed on a hydraulic press, without the traditional care of hand fitting. Those sights, and the ones on the MK series to some extent, benefit by the use of a sight pusher to remove the stock sight. The problem usually is getting the pusher adjusted so it can work on your receiver or slide.

That gets the old sight off. The sight pusher, in my experience, should not be used to force a new sight onto the gun without any fitting. That's just asking for trouble. Sights are intentionally made slightly larger than the dovetail that they fit in, so some hand fitting is required for a good sight installation. In my opinion, the sight pusher has no place in sight installation. Sights should be tight, but not hydraulic press tight.

Things take time.
MNIE
Old 09-27-2019, 05:20 PM
justdino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just an addendum to my rear sight change - while I was able to adjust the rear, by cranking it all the way up, it's obvious the OE front sight (also made by Hi Viz) is too tall at .425".

Hi Viz recommended their RG2245LLW01 front sight, which has a height of .390, so I ordered one. It'll be here tomorrow and should be a 2 minute job to change. I'll get to the range next week and see if it works better wit the new rear.

As earl mentioned in his first post, the front needs to be changed for it to work properly.