Getting to know my Mark III Hunter - trigger question. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Gahboo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Getting to know my Mark III Hunter - trigger question.

I’ve had this pistol ago a few weeks now. It’s a 2013 Mark III Hunter. I just took it apart. I futzed with it for 15 minutes before I got it back together, but once figured out, it’s cake. It really isn’t difficult once you understand how the gun works.

When I got the gun, I noticed the trigger was very light at 2.5# (measured) It has the factory trigger. The trigger does not break as crisp as my Buckmark, and it has a ton of overtravel. It seems to have some creep too. It feels slightly “soft”. Is that “creep?” The break isn’t like glass. I’m used to 1911 and Buckmark triggers. However, it’s still a very good trigger - much better than most. I’m assuming that this is either a really good factory trigger, or it has had a trigger job.

Can anyone comment on whether installing the Volquartsen Sear and Hammer will get me closer to a Buckmark like trigger? Also, is this light of a trigger at 2.5# from the factory?

I’m not complaining at all about this gun. I’m really liking it a lot. Who wouldn’t love this huge hunk of steel? It’s just so radically different from everything else I own that it’s taking some getting used to. It’s kinda like riding Sport bikes all the time then getting on a Harley! This gun is cool like Harley’s are 😎. The vibe of it reminds me of the Harley vibe. Can’t shoot it for beans yet, got to change the sights. This V rear sight blade thing ain’t working.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Volquartsen sear, trigger and Mark II Bushing along with the hammer will make it better than the BuckMark. To bad you have to spend the extra on a Ruger but it has always been that way and really does make the all steel Ruger better than the BuckMark. The trigger is adjustable for pre and post travel.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahboo View Post
When I got the gun, I noticed the trigger was very light at 2.5# (measured) It has the factory trigger. The trigger does not break as crisp as my Buckmark, and it has a ton of overtravel. It seems to have some creep too. It feels slightly ďsoftĒ. Is that ďcreep?Ē The break isnít like glass. Iím used to 1911 and Buckmark triggers. However, itís still a very good trigger - much better than most. Iím assuming that this is either a really good factory trigger, or it has had a trigger job.

Can anyone comment on whether installing the Volquartsen Sear and Hammer will get me closer to a Buckmark like trigger? Also, is this light of a trigger at 2.5# from the factory?
Without seeing the parts in your gun, it's hard to say exactly what you have. But from your description, it sounds like the previous owner probably put in a Volquartsen sear and one of the aftermarket mkiii hammer bushings to get rid of the mag disconnect safety.

I purchased 2 MKIIIs several years apart. The first one had an absolutely horrible trigger pull at almost 8 pounds. The second one was just under 6. Here's the sear from the second one:

The sear from the first one was just as bad, but the grind marks went across the face instead of with it. The replacement Volquartsen sear dropped the pull to about 2.5 pounds. Then polishing the hammer notch brought it down to 2.2 pounds.

Those aftermarket mkiii hammer bushings (all of them) have a 3/8" shoulder that create a lot of creep. I can't recommend using them, at least not in a pistol. Here's mine after finding a good use for it:

That crummy garden nozzle sprays real nice now.

Get yourself a mk2 style hammer bushing. It has a larger 7/16" shoulder that will remove most of the creep. You will also need to get a new trigger if you want to get rid of the excess pretravel and overtravel. The Volquartsen trigger works well and has adjustment screws. Just keep in mind that you need to leave a little bit of pretravel for reliable resets and a little overtravel for reliable firing. Adding some blue Loktite to the threads of the screws is recommended to keep them from drifting.

With these 2 new parts and polishing the hammer notch, you will have quite a nice trigger that rivals anything you've shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
pspencer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent choice...

If it hasn't been said before, welcome to RFC and congratulations on purchasing a pistol that you will probably love! As mentioned above, the Vq set will give you the trigger you want.

As for the sights, I purchased a Talo Mk III a while back with the v notch rear sight and a tru glo front. I'm not fond of either and just ordered a factory, white outline rear blade (square notch) and a factory target style front sight which I colored red. I just can't get used to the v notch either and the combination white outline rear blade and red front just works better for me. Of course, everyone has their own preference.

Also, Mk series Rugers tend to multiply in collections, they're very addictive!

Paul
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your Ruger MKIII Hunter! Volquartsen internals is the way to go. As jstanfield103 says, it's a shame that you have to do that to a new Ruger, but to those who are familiar with Rugers, that's just part of the deal. I just love the heft of these all steel Ruger pistols!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahboo View Post
... I just took it apart. I futzed with it for 15 minutes before I got it back together, but once figured out, itís cake. It really isnít difficult once you understand how the gun works....

No, it's not difficult but not everyone seems to be able to figure it out. Congratulations.

As mentioned, you should get rid of the mag safety. Removing it makes it much easier dis- and re-assembling the gun.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 PM
PinkVapor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've the MKII Volquartzen kit (it includes the bushing) in my MKIII Hunter. It's a tack driver.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa..._1=VOLQUARTSEN
The last time I had it out, I hit a 10" plate at 175 yards, first shot. My wife was stunned and said, "give me that!" and hit it on the 3rd shot using CCI SV.
It's my favorite gun to shoot, and we've a few.