Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:34 PM
vinceg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Correct target height

Hello too all:

What is a correct height from the ground to the target center for .22LR benchrest shooting out to 50 yards? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

regards, Vince
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceg View Post
Hello too all:

What is a correct height from the ground to the target center for .22LR benchrest shooting out to 50 yards? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

regards, Vince
Not sure I understand you question. Are you asking about some rule or regulation? In the matches I've attended, we stapled our paper targets about chest high.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:43 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Vince,
There are no rules defining target height that I am aware of in ARA, PSL, Or IR50.
A ballpark idea, would be if the rifle barrel is leveled look through the scope and put it at that height.
Actual height will be different because of the lay of the land. Some ranges may rise or fall, and height could change from bench 1 to a different height from the ground say at bench 25.
Hope this helps,
Glen H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 05:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We shoot down hill at the range I shoot at so we post out targets as high as we can on the backer.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I don't know of any prescribed rules for target height. As noted in another post, the lay of the land often dictates the height on a specific backer. At our local matches, we just try to be sure that all shooters can complete the entire target without drastic change in setup.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:31 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As stated there is no specific rule in either CF or RF benchrest disciplines.

It often is determined by the lay of the land. Best example I know of is Fairchance in PA. Some benches are sloped up, some down and some are essentially level over the 60 bench line. The line is not level either. Ask me how I know about the steps down between maybe bench 15 and 16. It has been a very popular range for many years within the BR community.

If you are building a new range you should determine bench height and add 8 inches to that assuming a level range out to your distance, 50 yards as you mentioned, then the backer center should be about that distance from the ground. Backer probably should be a minimum of 24-30 inches vertically.

The closer to parallel you can have the rifle the easier it is to set up and shoot a card. It is not always possible, thus adjustments on rest and many of us carry little riser blocks for those ranges that really suck in this regard. Such ranges ARE out there.bob
Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lay of the land dictates the range setup, a few feet high/low should not make a whole lot of difference.

What does make a difference is the target placing, it should be accurately placed vis-a-vie horizontal/vertical.

With a mechanical rest its far easier to track left/right and up/down with the least amount of adjustments required.

Giz
Old 01-12-2021, 04:24 AM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For our 50 metre bench rest match we use the same height to centre as our pistol matches at 1400mm +/- 50mm.

Bench height 812mm.........donít ask why

E.

Last edited by ECC; 01-12-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:27 AM
jpx2rk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The range that holds matches in my area has a downhill slope from the benches to the target stands, along with a right to left slope so the targets for the higher numbered benches are a bit closer to the ground than the lower #'d benches. We just have to adjust our rests accordingly, but the target stands are all connected together and are level. I have to kneel down to post my target on the right side of the range but don't consider it a disadvantage, my wind reading skills suck.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM
FredJ_2008
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you are required to post your own target, then Shoulder height.