10/22 Ultra Light Barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:54 PM
doug49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Ultra Light Barrel

On a ultra light 10/22 barrel such as a Volquartsen or Magnum Research can a scope be mounted by drilling and adding scope rings? Thanks
Old 11-21-2020, 11:37 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug49 View Post
On a ultra light 10/22 barrel such as a Volquartsen or Magnum Research can a scope be mounted by drilling and adding scope rings? Thanks
the Volquartsen THM's are drilled and tapped for a scope mount from the factory, but they don't do it to their Ultralight barrels...so since they have the ability to do the drill and tap, but don't do it to the Ultralight barrels, I'll assume that it's not recommended

just get the THM..I doubt you'll notice the difference in weight between the THM and the Ultralight on a completed rifle

...or if you're still thinking about doing a d&t on an aluminum barrel, get the KIDD Ultra Lightweight and put the $150 you saved on the barrel over the Volquartsen towards the gunsmithing fees
Old 11-21-2020, 11:54 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think that trying to mount a scope on an aluminum tube would be pretty unstable , and might even compromise the rigidity of the tensioned barrel.if you want the scope that far forward , just get a long rail and some cantilever rings and mount it out front. If its so cantilevered that its acting like a diving board , maybe you could get the front of the rail attached to the barrel tube, by getting it tig welded.

Maybe you could get an aluminum rail tig welded to the tube, but i think its too thin to d&t , how many threds could there be?

If The first few inches from the chamber forward are steel, like on the kidd you could d&t but thats short rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 01:16 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I think that trying to mount a scope on an aluminum tube would be pretty unstable , and might even compromise the rigidity of the tensioned barrel.if you want the scope that far forward , just get a long rail and some cantilever rings and mount it out front. If its so cantilevered that its acting like a diving board , maybe you could get the front of the rail attached to the barrel tube, by getting it tig welded.

Maybe you could get an aluminum rail tig welded to the tube, but i think its too thin to d&t , how many threds could there be?

If The first few inches from the chamber forward are steel, like on the kidd you could d&t but thats short rail.
I'd be cautious too, but I think you could drill and tap the barrel, just use the screw primarily for locating the the cantilever base, then use an epoxy, panel bond, or your tig welder as the material to actually attach it to the barrel

and the Volquartsen cantilever base doesn't really extend the space available for the front ring that far out onto the barrel when compared to some of the integral extended rail receivers out now

Old 11-22-2020, 01:33 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Don't have them side x side, but the egw extended rail gets a slot as far as the barrel mounted vq. Or at least pretty close.

https://www.egwguns.com/ruger-10-22-...nny-rail-0-moa

Cracked is right, the new extended rails get it done just as good. Have used one for a friend with a long neck, and stubby arms that liked to shoot prone he looked about like the smiley in this sentance.