Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

7th harmonic

6K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  HAMTTX 
#1 ·
fred j

what does the 7th harmonic feel like??? is it tangible??

you guys don't, haven't and never will understand these guns....

this whole thing is a joke including a super action and strumming or plucking a banjo....

marty

#55 ·
I'll try one more time; A 5, 6,or 8oz tuner will all work. The weight just shifts where you are on the first upward (low frequency/ mode 1 or 2) swing. A light weight puts you closer to the top and less vertical speed. The moveable weight moves the higher frequency forward or later in time. Tune is when you get the combination of upward low frequency movement to be countered by a higher frequency downward nod. I know this is hard to visualize but there are many frequencies causing their own motion at the same instant.
Now here's the ironic part; when you hit the magic combination of weights and location, the upward motion and downward motion cancel each other. And please forgive me but at that instant the muzzle is stopped! Now before there is a riot, I'll try another example of the same phenomena:
Its all relative to your reference point. Take an escalator going down a floor at 3 mph. Now start running up the down escalator and at 3 mph, you are now "stopped" and not moving any more relative to the building. Of course the escalator nor you (nor the muzzle) are actually stopped, the escalator is moving 3 mph down and your running up at 3 mph. It is even harder to visualize because the motions are in thousands and the time is in milsecs that can't been seen by the human senses. I know this is hard and represents about the first 10% of what's happening.
gn

#58 ·
Grover, interesting explanation. Have you modified your position on this, or is it the case that your wording might give that impression? I don't intend that to be an offensive question. Between being sick and my back about having me in fits with pain, I may not be grasping your intended thoughts.

Are you saying that, all semantics and arguments aside, Bill has essentially been correct about a "stopped muzzle", at least regarding the effect?

Take care,

Greg

#59 ·
hey grover is it truly stopped, or did you forget the other harmonics that are
involved? aren't they still moving things?
now greg don't get too worked up, there is no such thing as a truly stopped
muzzle, you never believed grover before why should you start now?

#61 ·
Its all relative to your reference point

Greg; no changed position. Reread very carefully, there is more than meets the eye.

Its also the beginning 10%, The existence of PC is another interesting topic.
If one is to get serious with a scientific discussion; one has to absorb completely the "data" that exists. The only vibration data, to my knowledge is VA's FEA, that is real and probably very accurate, although easily misunderstood and Kolbs data that show high frequency angular motion (nodding) going on. Assuming the data is good. Then there are few explanations that satisfy both
gn

#63 ·
Marty;

Try and stay on one subject at a time and ride it to ground.

I never mentioned horizontal vibs. horizontal can be just as large as vert.
This is one of the areas where VA FEA leads one astray.
There are vibs going on, (TomC) simultaneously in the vert, horizontal, vert angular, horiz angular and well as torsion, and others.
For the people who can't get there minds around this concept, think about:
a stereo speaker; one cone is simultaneously creating vibrations; of the drum(low freq), the trumpet (med freq) and a soprano, all at the same time all mashed together.
gn

#64 ·
Grover thanks, your explanation above is my point. wouldn't a better explanation of the fellow on an escalator include one step left, right to center, right, then left to center and so on. simply for the sake as no one with an agenda mis-understands..marty

#65 ·
marty
very good comment.

the movement on the escalator is still stopped relative as viewed from the side.
In your example if viewed from the end, and your still going up at 3 mph you absolutely have horizontal motion.
You can have motion and yet be stopped also, I guess I'm unable to articulate the concept of opposite phases that have magnitude that when equal and opposite phases yield zero.
Before anyone blows a head gasket, the barrel is always moving. Is a piston stopped twice each revolution?
I just thought of one; a two cylinder opposed (VW) engine, turning 6000 rpm, at TDC is the engine stopped? or is still going 6000 rpm?
gn

#66 ·
ok gdog
is the engine stopped no not at all, thinking of the moving parts of the engine,
and mainly the cranshaft which is spinning at 6000 rpm, i know you're thinking
of the pistons when they're at actual tdc and actually even on them no as with
the play in the piston pins, elasticity of the rods and flexing of the crank if you
can in any absolutely tell when it ever truly stopped, well detroits got a job for
you. and grover there isn't a 2 cylinder vw engine i've seen or heard of. my
dad did have one of those little japanese cars that had a 550cc motorcycle
motor in it. it was 2 cylinder. any time a part is going up and down in a direct
line (ex. lifters, engine rods, pushrods and such when they hit the end of their
travel in either direction it could be argued that they're stopped i suppose.
oh and dads little honda car had a v-twin engine in it not opposed. another
analogy please. i'm gonna make you work at this one.

#67 · (Edited)
there are 9 critical measurements with changes in diameter to a harrell tuner. in addition there are 8 different mediums involved between a barrel and a harrell tuner. never in 5 years have I heard the above mentioned, not once. what does that tell us????

in many instances were making sausage instead of tuning.....

marty

#68 ·
Earnest posted in #3 above:

rimfire benchrest has become a combo of animal house and one flew over the cuckoos nest...

One flew over the cuckoo and two landed at our range. We are having a really heated discussion on how to get rid of em..

It is believed by most that a 22 is not big enough to get em to fly on and the bird lovers will NOT allow either to be shot--yuk.

#75 ·
The 'same hole' for a lawn tractor is into the same grass catcher. Mine will do a pretty good job and I aint even tuned it.

Several yrs ago I mowed some yard to mostly pick up some of the neighbors leaves, part time neighbor. Comes here to the 'cabin' to relax etc. . Couple weeks later the neighbors wife is knocking on the back door--Hello-Did you dump some grass in our yard--No, but maybe there was some grass mixed in with the leaves that I brought back. WOW---

#76 ·
I started reading this thread and just had to jump in and say it is no wonder the world is such a crazy place. When two or more people are debating the definition of the word tuned is shocking. Straight from Webster:

tune verb
: to adjust (a musical instrument) so that it makes the correct sound when played

: to make small changes to (something) in order to make it work better

: to adjust (a radio or television) so that it receives a broadcast clearly

So the poster who felt that the original premiss of the thread that mentioned a specific method failed to meet the definition of tuned is wrong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.