Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:31 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Very Impressed...........So Far

Started a new notebook and photo album on "The Ruger Mark IV". A few of the new pistols features are very impressive, as is the improvement of a few others. There can only be one thing mentioned concerning the absence of the LCI:

I can see where a few areas will need some attention with an ultra-fine cut diamond needle file to smooth things up much more, and there's at least one part, so far, that I would improve, but I've just begun to satisfy my curiosity about this new offering.

So far, there's nothing inside the Ruger Mark IV that would warrant some of the "extravagant" modifications that I've seen here and on other forums done to the Ruger Mark III pistol. Will see how some other Ruger Mark IV pistols look inside as they show up.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:25 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Now it's good news to hear - moves it up on "the list."
Old 10-27-2016, 03:43 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
So Ruger got it 'mostly' right?

And I don't mean that in a snarky way.

I'm beyond thrilled to see they took note of the LCI issues (and others)

I've got more than enough Mk I, II's and III's so I'm not considering a purchase... But it's nice to see that for now there isn't a whole lot than needs doing to the pistol!

Now if we could just get a second hold down on the 10/22...
A lot of stuff gets tossed back and forth over the LCI, as some sorta like it, and then others, like myself, question its existence.
I put my .22 firearms away with no tension on the mainsprings. That's just a habit I've gotten into over time. Using a dry-wall anchor as a snap cap to relax the tension on the hammer or striker spring will leave a positive signal that there is "something" in the chamber. I always know what it is, but to others, there's no indication of whether it's a live round or a chunk of plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
............... Now if we could just get a second hold down on the 10/22...
Now you are asking for the moon and the stars... 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr View Post
Now you are asking for the moon and the stars... 😁

Well, I have been pretty successful when adding the KIDD tang extension:

Ready to be inletted:

Attached like so:

Old 10-27-2016, 04:42 PM
RDH475

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hummm???

I would bet that is my receiver, Am I right Dennis? Dennis reworked my bolt and receiver, great work at a reasonable price. He will be getting my MK III. In fact I have named my 10/22 the SGW/KIDD
Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love your shop/equipment SGW. Looks like a great place to ride out the winter.

Nice work on that 10/22 receiver...

Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I'll probably buy a used MK4,when they come out!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 PM
ckusnierek

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Funny, Other than removing the LCI, adding a mag ejector and the push button take down, I found the same sloppy, loose, poor toleranced internals of all the other Mark pistols resulting in way too much pre-travel, creep. a trigger that breaks as soft as room temperature butter and a nearly un-detectable reset...
Old 10-27-2016, 07:25 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckusnierek View Post
Funny, Other than removing the LCI, adding a mag ejector and the push button take down, I found the same sloppy, loose, poor toleranced internals of all the other Mark pistols resulting in way too much pre-travel, creep. a trigger that breaks as soft as room temperature butter and a nearly un-detectable reset...
Well, I have been accused of being too un-fussy - but I love the way mine shoots.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 PM
baytree
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have shown the mk iv to our customers.. brought it to our bullseye league ... and so far most have been underwhelmed.. yes, ruger needed to improve the old guns but they only really addressed one issue... the button take down really is nice... but... how about the other things... the trigger is still second rate for a target gun... still has the mag interconnect... what they really needed was better fit and finish on the finished product.... i have had to return one new mk iii because the trigger was off the 8 ib scale... ruger replaced it. another gun was also new.... knowledgeable owner brought it back because he felt uncomfortable hitting it as hard as he was to dis assemble... i worked on it and it really was bad... also... when trying to re assemble there was mis alignment which required a lot of filing to make it right... i want to know how this gun was assembled before shipping.... human hands... machine... is there a QC inspector anywhere in the house? Once i teach our customers the tricks to dis assemble/ re assembly of the old guns... its not a big deal. Im sure the work is already underway to improve the trigger on this gun... but with the already higher price... and cost to modify.... what is ruger thinking? im the first to acknowledge that there are considerations im not aware of in the gun industry but i cant help but feel that the lawyers have really messed things up.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH475 View Post
I would bet that is my receiver, Am I right Dennis? Dennis reworked my bolt and receiver, great work at a reasonable price. He will be getting my MK III. In fact I have named my 10/22 the SGW/KIDD
Appreciate your kind words folks! Thanks. Yes, this one just might be yours, but I did have two to do that week. Also did a 10/22 for the "TITAN" stock where by the newly installed tang slips into a slot in the rear of the receiver.

My shop is a GREAT respite during the winter period. Less traffic in and out, so I can get some things done that I'd like to do for myself.

BACK to the original post!

Was traveling this past weekend to check out some equipment that was for sale down in the middle of the state. Stopped in at "Scheel's All Sport" in Eau Claire, WI. In the Ruger rimfire pistol display case they had one Ruger Mark IV. The Ruger Stainless steel Hunter in the 6-7/8 fluted barrel configuration. Price tag $649.95 plus the 5.5% Wisconsin sales tax. They also had a blued Mark III Target for $619.95. WOW!

When ever I get near this store I check the locked display case for .22 rimfire ammunition. BONANZA! They have cases of CCI Standard and Aguila Target, Federal Target, Fiocchi Sport and SK Rifle Match. I blew my lunch money for the next three months. CCI Standard velocity is $39.95 per brick, plus tax.