Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:48 PM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me 552.... It shoots CCI Quiets..Yea!!!

Walked into my LGS on Friday and on the wall was a used 552 for $135.00. I picked it up, looked it over and made an offer. They said no. I did not know much about these except I owned a very mint 572 pump which I like. So I went home and did a little research and found out that these were the only USA made gun to shoot all 3 sizes of .22's. Even found a post that they shot CCI quiets well. So, the next day, I went back and started dealing again. The store was crowded and several people picked up the 552 for inspection and one did it twice. Well when it was my turn again to be helped I agreed to their last price of $123.00 out the door. He handed me some paperwork to fill out and went to help the other gentleman who had picked it up. He said he would like to purchase the 552. That was close, I almost let a few bucks screw me out of a very good rifle.

Anyway, I took it home, made sure the barrel was clear and proceeded to load some .22 quiets and I fired away. Not one hic-cup! Fully cycled every time. I will be testing for accuracy today. Looking up the date code it is XW so from my research that puts it around a production date of Dec. 1972. All metal looks good and the stock has a few dings but nothing chipped. I like! Does not look like it has ever been taken down. The screws and pins are perfect. May need a good cleaning but I have a few videos to watch before I do that. I may just clean the barrel and let her keep shooting until a problem arises.

A picture is worth more, so here it is. Scope did not come with it, mounted a inexpensive 4x32 Tasco to see how she shoots

Last edited by briggleman; 10-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:05 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You did very, very well on that deal. And it appears you gout one of the long barrelled ones.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:05 PM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI Standards at 25 yards. When I get a 3x9 40 scope on her I will try 50 yards and post results. OH, and I even tried some Aguila Super Colibri thru it. It does not cycle them but loads and fires them just fine. I did confirm each one hit the paper before cycling the action! At 25 yards you could actually see them heading toward the target!

Last edited by briggleman; 10-27-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 PM
albinpdx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You did well! Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy your 552 as they are extremely fun. Like you, I bought mine used at a LGS but I paid a little more than you and had to replace the extractor. No biggie, and it is a fine and accurate shooter now. I love everything about them except for the lack of a bolt hold open. Can't have everything I guess. I seem to always stumble a bit holding the slide/spring mechanism on the barrel while reinstalling. I'm getting better with practice! Good job....now go shoot and smile!!!
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Great deal on that gun! The 550, the 552's father also shot all 22's.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:14 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's a great price. An older one like mine. My 1957 model also showed some promise accuracy wise, so I knew I'd have to scope it. It likes RWS subsonic HPs.
I tried Remington CBee LRs, a 40 grain HP at 710 fps. It cycled 95% of them but didn't quite eject a couple of times.
I took it out yesterday with my new puppy looking for squirrels.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:38 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Walked into my LGS on Friday and on the wall was a used 552 for $135.00. I picked it up, looked it over and made an offer. They said no. I did not know much about these except I owned a very mint 572 pump which I like. So I went home and did a little research and found out that these were the only USA made gun to shoot all 3 sizes of .22's. Even found a post that they shot CCI quiets well. So, the next day, I went back and started dealing again. The store was crowded and several people picked up the 552 for inspection and one did it twice. Well when it was my turn again to be helped I agreed to their last price of $123.00 out the door. He handed me some paperwork to fill out and went to help the other gentleman who had picked it up. He said he would like to purchase the 552. That was close, I almost let a few bucks screw me out of a very good rifle.

Anyway, I took it home, made sure the barrel was clear and proceeded to load some .22 quiets and I fired away. Not one hic-cup! Fully cycled every time. I will be testing for accuracy today. Looking up the date code it is XW so from my research that puts it around a production date of Dec. 1972. All metal looks good and the stock has a few dings but nothing chipped. I like! Does not look like it has ever been taken down. The screws and pins are perfect. May need a good cleaning but I have a few videos to watch before I do that. I may just clean the barrel and let her keep shooting until a problem arises.

A picture is worth more, so here it is. Scope did not come with it, mounted a inexpensive 4x32 Tasco to see how she shoots

There is a minty one at a local shop that has a nice 3/4" Weaver scope on it. These things will cycle CCI CB shorts. Just don't try more than SV loads. Here is a YT video on the 550-1 that might be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMHbaMQ9_f0&t=1332s

Last edited by NHcollector2; 10-28-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 AM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On Sunday, when I was running bullets through the 552, I used 22 CB shorts, CCI LR Quiets and CCI LR standards all in the tube at the same time. Cycled all of them fine. The box written speed of the CCI shorts and Quiets was 710 fps. Standards are around 1,070 fps I believe. As I wrote before I even tried the Aguila Super Colibri at 590 fps. They did not cycle the action on their own but did load and cycle just fine manually which surprised me. Most of my other .22s have difficulty with the Colibri sliding into the chamber. I do not believe Stingers will be an issue, unless the head spacing or chamber cannot accommodate the slightly longer length. The pressure should be about the same as any other HV .22 ammo. However that being said, I rarely shoot such ammo. Most of my hunting is done with hollow point subsonic Remington's. I have both the low noise at 740 fps and the 1050 subsonic stuff. I ran about 300 rounds of various ammo through the Speedmaster and had two (2) fail to fire. Both were Winchester subsonic 42 max out of 15 I shot. The hit was good on the rim so I flipped them around and they fired. Not sure if its an issue but it happened one after the other which did give me a scare. However, she fired the next 100 rounds of various ammo just fine. Still have not cleaned her yet. Need to get on it.

Oh, when I purchased it, an old plastic Weaver 3/4 inch 4x scope was on it. The windage cap was missing and the cap threads were chipped on one side. I removed it and put on a old 70's Tasco 4x32 I had laying around to test its accuracy. I ordered some see thru rings for it so I can mount another scope with higher magnification so I can use these old eyes to try 50 yard groupings. This weekend hopefully

Last edited by briggleman; 10-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:19 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
On Sunday, when I was running bullets through the 552, I used 22 CB shorts, CCI LR Quiets and CCI LR standards all in the tube at the same time. Cycled all of them fine. The box written speed of the CCI shorts and Quiets was 710 fps. Standards are around 1,070 fps I believe. As I wrote before I even tried the Aguila Super Colibri at 590 fps. They did not cycle the action on their own but did load and cycle just fine manually which surprised me. Most of my other .22s have difficulty with the Colibri sliding into the chamber. I do not believe Stingers will be an issue, unless the head spacing or chamber cannot accommodate the slightly longer length. The pressure should be about the same as any other HV .22 ammo. However that being said, I rarely shoot such ammo. Most of my hunting is done with hollow point subsonic Remington's. I have both the low noise at 740 fps and the 1050 subsonic stuff. I ran about 300 rounds of various ammo through the Speedmaster and had two (2) fail to fire. Both were Winchester subsonic 42 max out of 15 I shot. The hit was good on the rim so I flipped them around and they fired. Not sure if its an issue but it happened one after the other which did give me a scare. However, she fired the next 100 rounds of various ammo just fine. Still have not cleaned her yet. Need to get on it.

Oh, when I purchased it, an old plastic Weaver 3/4 inch 4x scope was on it. The windage cap was missing and the cap threads were chipped on one side. I removed it and put on a old 70's Tasco 4x32 I had laying around to test its accuracy. I ordered some see thru rings for it so I can mount another scope with higher magnification so I can use these old eyes to try 50 yard groupings. This weekend hopefully
Do not shoot Stingers in your rifle! Watch that vid I posted above, you will likely have problems. As a general rule do not shoot ammo that was not available when a firearm was made. You want to shoot Stingers use a 10-22, not a vintage firearm. I do not understand so many people's desire to shoot the hottest ammo out of old guns, do not try to make them into something they are not. Show some respect for the firearm.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:42 AM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
Do not shoot Stingers in your rifle! Watch that vid I posted above, you will likely have problems. As a general rule do not shoot ammo that was not available when a firearm was made. You want to shoot Stingers use a 10-22, not a vintage firearm. I do not understand so many people's desire to shoot the hottest ammo out of old guns, do not try to make them into something they are not. Show some respect for the firearm.
I appreciate your advice, however, my research....not use, indicates it is only a case length issue and not a pressure issue. Again, according to what I have researched so far, its the case length that causes issues. The pressure is the same as other higher velocity rounds. The stinger uses a smaller grain bullet and a slower burning powder to achieve its velocity. AND it only achieves this velocity out of longer barrelled rifles so the 552 should actually allow it to achieve close to its maximum velocity with the 23" barrel that mine has. I have a 28 3/4" barrel on my CZ Ultra Lux and even it has issues with the Stinger casing due to its length. I dare not shoot a Colibri through it....would not make it to the end of the barrel, nor is a Quiet recommended in that CZ...but I have shot CCI Quiets through it and they did make it out of the barrel but some only made it 20 yards.

No Worries, I do not intend to use Stingers in this new to me 552. I have no use for them in my enjoyment of target shooting and hunting activities
Old 10-30-2019, 09:14 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I appreciate your advice, however, my research....not use, indicates it is only a case length issue and not a pressure issue. Again, according to what I have researched so far, its the case length that causes issues. The pressure is the same as other higher velocity rounds. The stinger uses a smaller grain bullet and a slower burning powder to achieve its velocity. AND it only achieves this velocity out of longer barrelled rifles so the 552 should actually allow it to achieve close to its maximum velocity with the 23" barrel that mine has. I have a 28 3/4" barrel on my CZ Ultra Lux and even it has issues with the Stinger casing due to its length. I dare not shoot a Colibri through it....would not make it to the end of the barrel, nor is a Quiet recommended in that CZ...but I have shot CCI Quiets through it and they did make it out of the barrel but some only made it 20 yards.

No Worries, I do not intend to use Stingers in this new to me 552. I have no use for them in my enjoyment of target shooting and hunting activities
If you watched the vid I recommended you will see that a high velocity round had case bulge where the floating chamber was pulling out of the breech. As for CCI Quiets in the long CZ rifle, they are fine, I've never had a problem with them, they made a lot of kill shots on squirrels, never had a squib. After all, we are only talking about 4-6 extra inches of barrel over most .22s.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If you watched the vid I recommended you will see that a high velocity round had case bulge where the floating chamber was pulling out of the breech. As for CCI Quiets in the long CZ rifle, they are fine, I've never had a problem with them, they made a lot of kill shots on squirrels, never had a squib. After all, we are only talking about 4-6 extra inches of barrel over most .22s.
I should have mentioned I did watch the video. What he experience,... I have also experienced, with a marlin levermatic rifle and higher velocity ammo (1,265 fps to be exact). However, as to the cause. My issue turned out to be a headspace problem. It allowed the .22 shell casing to blow back and expand in the chamber. Very hard to remove and the casing was deformed. Nothing to do with the bullet, all to do with the gun itself. I do not believe the Stinger in the video caused that issue. However that being said, the person in the video has first hand knowledge..... and if he believes it was the Stinger, that is his truth!.... and that is okay with me.

Last edited by briggleman; 10-30-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you did well, I happily paid 200 for my standard model 552
Old 10-31-2019, 09:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If you watched the vid I recommended you will see that a high velocity round had case bulge where the floating chamber was pulling out of the breech.
What floating chamber. This isn't a 550-1.

John
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
What floating chamber. This isn't a 550-1.

John
I have to admit I'm not up on these.