Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:04 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Almost ran over someone tonight.

In my residential neighborhood, corner with no stop sign or marked crosswalk. Young lady with black hair and all black clothing walked in front of me. Slammed on the brakes a few yards from hitting her. Scared the carp out of both of us. She did have white headphones on though. Guess I should have seen them?

And they say opiates are bad for people...
Old 11-14-2019, 02:24 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You were both being watched over. It wasn't in His plan to have an unhappy evening. I'm happy to be reading that.

Still, you can never be too observant and the answer to most traffic situations is to slow down.. and never stop scanning your surroundings.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:33 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many don't understand the laws about yielding to peds in crosswalks. Many of those are the pedestrians themselves. Your local Walmart proves that. Peds are required to check for oncoming traffic before crossing the street. Too many just walk right out believing they have the right of way, period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a huge black bear run across right in front of me a couple weeks ago. No white headphones though. Good thing I picked up on some movement on the shoulder before I got there and had my foot on the brake.

I don't know why people think wearing all black at night is a good idea. I'm glad you didn't hit the young lady!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:21 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If you live around a college town you know how bad this can be. Some students walk across streets looking at their phones and never even look up. When they are at a crosswalk at least the driver can expect it but when they walk across mid block or random location is a total surprise at times.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
If you live around a college town you know how bad this can be.
I almost hit one just yesterday, but he was too quick for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that go out in low light or at night and wear nothing but dark colors. Sorta like the person in a white/silver vehicle that drives in a heavy fog and doesn't use their lights. Common sense just ain't common any more I reckon.

Anyway, glad to here you didn't hit 'em. It'll mess you up mentally even if it wasn't your fault.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Headphones here is key. I see so many people wearing headphones or ear buds totally oblivious to their surroundings. Muggers of course love this. There have been numerous Darwin awards because of it.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:38 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Headphones here is key. I see so many people wearing headphones or ear buds totally oblivious to their surroundings. Muggers of course love this. There have been numerous Darwin awards because of it.
While I certainly feel sorry for anyone who might hit one of these nincompoops I think they offer definitive proof of the law of Natural Selection at work.

John
Old 11-14-2019, 12:35 PM
jharold
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems like no one believes in eye contact, in crosswalks or in parking lots.
Walmart for example. Pun intended!
Old 11-14-2019, 01:06 PM
cmb1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex45LC View Post
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that go out in low light or at night and wear nothing but dark colors. Sorta like the person in a white/silver vehicle that drives in a heavy fog and doesn't use their lights. Common sense just ain't common any more I reckon.

Anyway, glad to here you didn't hit 'em. It'll mess you up mentally even if it wasn't your fault.
Most people have DRL's on their vehicles these days. They're better than nothing but only for the front. The vast majority of vehicles don't have Tail Lights or Side Markers when DRL's are on.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM
RalphM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Organ donors.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:11 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
when people think the are seen wearing all black at night is just an accident waiting to happen.

When i was younger and riding my bike it was required to have lights/reflectors on my bike. But now adays, i dont see that and LEOs dont do anything about it either. even not riding a bike, i always wear some light/bright clothes. I know if i wear one of my jackets it has some reflectiont tape on it.

But when i see things like that, the pedestrian may have a "right" to do what they want and how they want to do it, but they wont win a fight between a 4000 lb car and the all black clothes clothes they wear.

its their mentality of "being in the right" that will get them killed real fast.

On my travels, it will vary how you cross the street. In the UK it will take me 1full day to get into the Look the other way mindset. Some places are better than others and some places you take your life in your own hands when crossing the street.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:16 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yup, I turned a corner at an intersection where there were no street lights and came to an abrupt brake slamming halt as about four kids on their bikes and their mother jammed across a crosswalk. All the kids were wearing dark clothing, on black bikes, and the kids were black kids. The mom started yelling at me "can't you see them?" So, hoping to wake her up to her situation I yelled back " of course I can't see them- dark clothes and bikes on an unlit street?" I think she got the message...

Bob
Old 11-14-2019, 03:34 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Yup, I turned a corner at an intersection where there were no street lights and came to an abrupt brake slamming halt as about four kids on their bikes and their mother jammed across a crosswalk. All the kids were wearing dark clothing, on black bikes, and the kids were black kids. The mom started yelling at me "can't you see them?" So, hoping to wake her up to her situation I yelled back " of course I can't see them- dark clothes and bikes on an unlit street?" I think she got the message...

Bob
We had a whole family taken out like that in Rhode Island. Was a black family walking in the dark with no lights and dark clothes..
When i used to ride I had neon yellow jacket 4 lights on the front wheel lights and two tail lights. And Still got hit at night.